2017~2021 CX-5 trunk opens out of no where?

I am not sure if I am to close to the car where I accidently pressing the trunk lift gate to open on my key fob.

This happened twice already. Not sure if its a common issue as I seen people talking about it to the old CX-5. I currently own the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo edition.

But the thing is I was at my work place where its pretty far to open the lift gate. Even tested at my desk it didnt open when I held it. Is there a way I can program it or disable the lift gate on my keyfob?

Thanks

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I am not sure if I am to close to the car where I accidently pressing the trunk lift gate to open on my key fob.

This happened twice already. Not sure if its a common issue as I seen people talking about it to the old CX-5. I currently own the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo edition.

But the thing is I was at my work place where its pretty far to open the lift gate. Even tested at my desk it didnt open when I held it. Is there a way I can program it or disable the lift gate on my keyfob?

Thanks
I thought for 2021 CX-5 you have newer credit card sized key fob which is not as bulky as the old one with the buttons on the side edge, hence reduced the chance of hitting the power liftgate button accidentally?

IMO there’s something within the software design on liftgate control module. You can only keep trying some experiments to verify if your liftgate indeed has a mind of its own, then have the Mazda to check it out with some evidence to present.

erhayes

Contributor
:
2021CX5 Reserve
I found that you must press and hold to get the rear lift gate to open, unlike the doors. I have no issue with that. Ed

:
GA prior 16 CX5 GT
:
20 CX5 GT + Prem
I used a utube video about changing the keyfob battery and took it a step further to cut off the plastic tab behind the keyfob trunk button to make it inoperable. I always use the button on the liftgate as opposed to digging in my pocket anyway. Several times I have set off the car alarm with the panic button but I just put up with that...