CX-5 Transmission Pressure Sensors...Should I buy?

Looking at a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring. Has 21,300 miles, no accidents. Clean title, was leased by two separate people. I was able to find from a service record that the "transmission pressure sensors" were replaced at 21,000 miles right before this current dealer got ahold of it and is selling it. This seems like an odd part to have to repair so soon into the car's life. Has anyone had this issue? I am trying to figure out if I should take it in to a mechanic to have it looked at if I'm going to purchase or if it's non-serious? Or I guess if it's too serious that I should walk away? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes it's odd but it happens.

Is it a cpo? If it is it comes with extra warranty. What is the price they ask? For sure get an inspection from another party if you plan on buying. It's better if its certified preowned in order to get the extra warranty.

Upvote 0
There was a TSB for replacing transmission sensors for the first gen I believe, so it does happen on transmissions that are working just fine otherwise.

Upvote 0
Looking at a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring. Has 21,300 miles, no accidents. Clean title, was leased by two separate people. I was able to find from a service record that the "transmission pressure sensors" were replaced at 21,000 miles right before this current dealer got ahold of it and is selling it. This seems like an odd part to have to repair so soon into the car's life. Has anyone had this issue? I am trying to figure out if I should take it in to a mechanic to have it looked at if I'm going to purchase or if it's non-serious? Or I guess if it's too serious that I should walk away? Thanks!
Here’s a report on a 2018 CX-5 AWD with shifting problem. Coincidentally the transmission threw a P0847 code, Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low, and the dealer wanted to replaced the whole transmission due to burnt ATF but the Mazda North American Opetations refused. Hence only the transmission fluid pressure sensor was replaced and the owner wasn’t happy about it and considered it was only a patch job.

Burned Transmission Fluid 2018 CX-5 AWD

The 2017 CX-5 Touring you’re interested in could have similar issue and the result is the early lease return with minimum miles right after the pressure sensor was replaced. I would avoid this CX-5.

Upvote 1
Here’s a report on a 2018 CX-5 AWD with shifting problem. Coincidentally the transmission threw a P0847 code, Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low, and the dealer wanted to replaced the whole transmission due to burnt ATF but the Mazda North American Opetations refused. Hence only the transmission fluid pressure sensor was replaced and the owner wasn’t happy about it and considered it was only a patch job.

The 2017 CX-5 Touring you’re interested in could have similar issue and the result is the early lease return with minimum miles right after the pressure sensor was replaced. I would avoid this CX-5.
I forgot about that one!

Swayed me. You’re right, plenty of other fish in the sea.

Upvote 0
Yes it's odd but it happens.

Is it a cpo? If it is it comes with extra warranty. What is the price they ask? For sure get an inspection from another party if you plan on buying. It's better if its certified preowned in order to get the extra warranty.
Unfortunately it isn't a CPO. An inspection wouldn't necessarily be able to forecast future transmission issues, though, which is the part we're concerned about. They're asking $22,800 which is high so we're trying to talk them down closer to 21. But we're not sure if it's worth it to mess with it, if there's the possibility of transmission issues down the road.

Upvote 0

Fascinating! Thanks for this info. Definitely something we're not trying to mess around with.

Upvote 0
I would also avoid it based on the helpful info already provided.

Upvote 0
I would avoid it also. Mazda is too cheap to replace the transmission and they try to sell the car at a high price to the next sucker.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it isn't a CPO. An inspection wouldn't necessarily be able to forecast future transmission issues, though, which is the part we're concerned about. They're asking $22,800 which is high so we're trying to talk them down closer to 21. But we're not sure if it's worth it to mess with it, if there's the possibility of transmission issues down the road.

I would agree with everybody else. Skip that one. Look for another CX5

Upvote 0
Back