2017~2024 CX-5 Trailer Hitch recommendations?

Am I reading correctly that the Canadian harness is straight plug and play? No splicing and no running a wire to the battery? It would be on a brand new 21 Signature so I like if something goes wrong I could just unplug/ remove that harness and not mess up my warranty

And as far as receivers I'm thinking Curt or Etrailer class 3 which I understand are the same except Curt is gloss and Etrailer matte. Any guess if one is more rust resistant than the other? I need to deal with Minnesota winter road salt.
I installed the Canadian harness in my 2019 sig. Completely plug and play, except for 1 wire that needs to be moved from the OEM harness into another slot (takes 20 seconds).

Neither the Curt nor DrawTite (or any hitch for that matter) is completely rust-proof. They are all powder coated from the factory and all will inevitably show signs of surface rust after use (I feel your pain, NJ salty roads are a bear to deal with). Once a year I give my hitch a brush and hit it with some rustoleum. A bit overkill, but I want to keep the gloss black look.

I bought the Curt hitch for my Gen 1 CX-5 but when I upgraded to the Gen 2 I did a deal with the dealer on the Mazda hitch and harness. Now, from what I noticed the Mazda hitch is identical to the Curt hitch except for a small bar welded on to the hitch to allow for the attachment of the harness plugin socket. I'm guessing that Mazda here in Canada may have contracted out to Curt for their hitches.

I have a Curt Class III 2" hitch installed and am starting to look at lightweight campers. I just came across this from Davis Mazda in Gainesville.

Can the Mazda CX-5 Tow a Boat?
It depends on the weight of the boat and its respective trailer. Through its standard 187 horsepower SKYACTIV® four-cylinder engine, and its available SKYACTIV®-D diesel powertrain, the Mazda CX-5 can tow up to 2,000 lbs. However, the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trim levels offer a 250-horsepower SKYACTIV® model capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs. with i-ACTIV® AWD. As most motorboats tend to weigh around 2,500 lbs., you might find the 250-horsepower engine more preferable for towing.

This is the first time I have seen a Mazda dealer or Mazda USA quote a 3500 lb tow limit for the turbo CX-5. All other sources say 2000 lbs regardless of engine.

I know the higher limit applies in Europe but not the USA which makes no sense. The CX-9 with the same engine is rated at 3500 lbs, too.

I have read posts here on 247 from owners who do indeed tow at the higher limit with no known issues.

I might have to give myself some options and increase my search to trailers that I can keep the gross cargo weight to 3000 lbs which should be easy with a 2000 lb trailer, 2 lighter adults, water, propane, food and clothes.

I have a Curt Class III 2" hitch installed and am starting to look at lightweight campers. I just came across this from Davis Mazda in Gainesville.

Can the Mazda CX-5 Tow a Boat?
It depends on the weight of the boat and its respective trailer. Through its standard 187 horsepower SKYACTIV® four-cylinder engine, and its available SKYACTIV®-D diesel powertrain, the Mazda CX-5 can tow up to 2,000 lbs. However, the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trim levels offer a 250-horsepower SKYACTIV® model capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs. with i-ACTIV® AWD. As most motorboats tend to weigh around 2,500 lbs., you might find the 250-horsepower engine more preferable for towing.

This is the first time I have seen a Mazda dealer or Mazda USA quote a 3500 lb tow limit for the turbo CX-5. All other sources say 2000 lbs regardless of engine.

I know the higher limit applies in Europe but not the USA which makes no sense. The CX-9 with the same engine is rated at 3500 lbs, too.

I have read posts here on 247 from owners who do indeed tow at the higher limit with no known issues.

I might have to give myself some options and increase my search to trailers that I can keep the gross cargo weight to 3000 lbs which should be easy with a 2000 lb trailer, 2 lighter adults, water, propane, food and clothes.
It's only the Turbo Signature Diesel that has the 3500 rating. The gas turbos are also rated at 2000. And that's with trailer brakes. 1000lbs without.

Does the diesel have the same transmission? I don't know if there are very many crossover type SUVs that can tow 3500, although I would guess the AWD should help.

It's only the Turbo Signature Diesel that has the 3500 rating. The gas turbos are also rated at 2000. And that's with trailer brakes. 1000lbs without.

I may be mistaken, but that quote from the dealer references a 250 HP engine which is the 2.5L turbo. The diesel engine only produces 168 HP.

I may be mistaken, but that quote from the dealer references a 250 HP engine which is the 2.5L turbo. The diesel engine only produces 168 HP.
Sounds like the dealer is talking out of his butt. I was just looking for some kernel of truth in the quote.

BTW, I don't think the engine is the limiting factor.

Sounds like the dealer is talking out of his butt. I was just looking for some kernel of truth in the quote.

BTW, I don't think the engine is the limiting factor.
I guess the only differences are vehicle weight (Signature Models) where the CX-9 has a 583 lb advantage and the wheelbase where the CX-9 has an additional 9". Is that enough for a 43% increase in towing capacity? I don't know.

Since 2015 Towing capacity is determined by a formal performance criteria:

more reading:

and yes wheel base and vehicle weight -- more specifically GVWR plays a part in figuring out the numbers.

Since 2015 Towing capacity is determined by a formal performance criteria:

more reading:

and yes wheel base and vehicle weight -- more specifically GVWR plays a part in figuring out the numbers.
Good reading, thanks. I forgot to consider transmission cooling and braking performance in tow rating calculations.

Last edited:
Aside from requirements, Mazda may have their own specs related to the transmissions, or other components of the drivetrain that may not be the same between various vehicles in question.

yes the brake rotors are bigger on the Turbo. At least for the gt-r and signature. No clue on the new carbon edition turbo.

Back