CX-5 Snow tire center caps?

:
OH
:
2013 CX-5 GT
First time post here but I have been referring this forum for a while. I just scored a nice set up for this up coming winter, Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 with 16" black steel rims. Previous owner wrecked before he even got them on the car. Bad for him, great for me. Everything fits great but I would like something to cover the center hub to keep snow, ice and mostly salt out. (They tend to salt the F out of the roads up here) I see that Mazda has a center hub cover for the CX-5 but it only works with the OEM steel rim. Does anyone have a solution or some kind of center hub that would work? I would like to avoid having to put cheap hub caps on, since I like the black steelies. Thanks for your help!

Measure the inner diameter of the center bore hole. Then look for a universal aftermarket center cap with XXmm diameter (not an OEM replacement). Sometimes you can find centercaps made specifically for universal steel wheels at local auto parts stores or on sites like amazon, ebay, aliexpress, etc. Here's an example.

Upvote 1
Covering the hole will help to slow down the surface rust that will form in that area. The rust itself probably won't be an issue in the short term, but if you're at all worried, I'd spring for the caps.

Otherwise, just try to remember to wash the dirt and salt off the wheels and undercarriage of the car every few weeks and you should be fine. I go to a coin-operated car wash and use their pressure washers to do my wheels and undercarriage every 2 weeks or so. My wife's 06 Civic has been using steel wheels with no covers for years, and we get a lot of salt here as well. Wheel hubs look rusty, but no issues to report.

Upvote 0
I was in the same situation as you mentioned, couldn't find a center hub cover to fit. I hated how other cars looked with the rusted spindle nuts. My solution was to buy a set of hub caps from Amazon for about $50. They not only keep salt away from critical components but also look good. The only problem I can foresee is that they are plastic and might break easily. If you end up loosing one, just buy another set and you'll have 3 spares. This is my 2nd winter season with the hub caps and so far so good.

Upvote 0
I was in the same situation as you mentioned, couldn't find a center hub cover to fit. I hated how other cars looked with the rusted spindle nuts. My solution was to buy a set of hub caps from Amazon for about $50. They not only keep salt away from critical components but also look good. The only problem I can foresee is that they are plastic and might break easily. If you end up loosing one, just buy another set and you'll have 3 spares. This is my 2nd winter season with the hub caps and so far so good.
@Voodooman777 Would you happen to have a link to the ones you bought. I have the same issue. I bought 17” steel wheels for my winter snows to replace the 19” Mazda wheels. We don’t get a lot of salt here, but it would be nice to cover those hubs.

Upvote 0
I had purchased a set for my old 2013 Escape made by “Alpena” sold by Walmart. They lasted 4 seasons and stayed on the rims. They had a good adjustable wire system to attach to the rim. Currently I don’t have anything on the winter steel rims on my CX5. I spray a little rust inhibitor on the centre hubs to minimize rust build up.

Upvote 0
I had purchased a set for my old 2013 Escape made by “Alpena” sold by Walmart. They lasted 4 seasons and stayed on the rims. They had a good adjustable wire system to attach to the rim. Currently I don’t have anything on the winter steel rims on my CX5. I spray a little rust inhibitor on the centre hubs to minimize rust build up.
That's what I did too, but I'd love to have some caps. Looking at my rims, I think they would have to go right over the axle stub. No way to put something bigger on the rim.

Upvote 0
@Voodooman777 Would you happen to have a link to the ones you bought. I have the same issue. I bought 17” steel wheels for my winter snows to replace the 19” Mazda wheels. We don’t get a lot of salt here, but it would be nice to cover those hubs.
Sorry I took so long to get back to you, Jnclem. I live in Canada so I ordered from amazon.ca from the link below. I see they went up in price quite a bit, I'm pretty sure I paid under $60.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TO7N08Y/

Upvote 0
I ordered a set from the US site. They were $45. I can’t tell from the write up if they will fit my aftermarket wheels or not, but I thought I’d give it a shot. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Last time I got new snow tires on my Motegi wheels the center caps bolts were siezed so to balance the wheels the shop had to cut them off to fit on the wheel balancing machine, so I've been running without center caps for a few years on my winter setup, I just spread some wheel bearing grease on the inside, it's not too pretty but it keeps the salt corrosion at bay.

Upvote 0
I put some CorrosionX on them, and we don’t have a lot of salt here anyway. I’ve always run bare, ugly steel wheels in the winter. I just thought this would be fun to try.

Upvote 0
I put some CorrosionX on them, and we don’t have a lot of salt here anyway. I’ve always run bare, ugly steel wheels in the winter. I just thought this would be fun to try.
If I had to buy winter wheels again I'd go with the black steel wheels, they don't look that bad.

Upvote 0
If I had to buy winter wheels again I'd go with the black steel wheels, they don't look that bad.
That's what I've got. I cant see how these covers would fit. If they connect where I think they do, the wheel weights will be in the way. But I couldn't quite see how they attach from the images on Amazon.

Upvote 0
Sorry I took so long to get back to you, Jnclem. I live in Canada so I ordered from amazon.ca from the link below. I see they went up in price quite a bit, I'm pretty sure I paid under $60.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TO7N08Y/
I installed the retaining wires, but I haven't had a chance to put the covers on yet. The wheel weights on these wheels are on the outside. Did you have to somehow fit the retaining wires around you wheel weights? It probably isn't worth it to me if I have to take the wheels back in to be re-balanced with the weights on the inside, but it looks like that would be necessary.

Upvote 0
I installed the retaining wires, but I haven't had a chance to put the covers on yet. The wheel weights on these wheels are on the outside. Did you have to somehow fit the retaining wires around you wheel weights? It probably isn't worth it to me if I have to take the wheels back in to be re-balanced with the weights on the inside, but it looks like that would be necessary.
Replying to my own question. The covers fit differently than I thought they would, so they don't conflict with the wheel weights at all. They fit perfectly, look good, and seem to be staying on just fine.

Upvote 0
Back