CX-5 Seat Upgrade

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Primarily use my 2016 CX-5 Sport for highway driving, trips between Kansas City and St. Louis. I took the car in for routine service and borrowed a 2017 CX-5 loaner. The seats are very comfortable in comparison.

Has anyone had this issue, or been bothered enough to retrofit 2017 front seat/seats in a 2016? Couldn’t find anything when searching the web.

The problem is that a 17 seat will run you thousands, better to go to a junkyard with your measurements and measure a 17 Sport manual seat. If it matches pull it and sell your 16 Sport seat. Chances are it will not match. The Gen 2 seems to have a wider center console.

Thanks for your reply. I figured as much.. I planned on finding a pair of fronts out of a totaled car somewhere.

Anyone have measurements on the 2017 seat rail handy?

I would spend some more time in a 2nd gen seat before you take this too seriously. The seat base is firmer, narrower and shorter than the gen 1.

lol - If only it were that easy.

Just a suggestion to prevent a potentially expensive headache.

Why don't you two swap seats? :) That will solve both your problems.

Is it possible the seats get softer over time? We have about 55k on the clock. Still much firmer than gen 2 (spent enough time to know I liked it more). I would be very serious about the swap if it were plug and play or if someone had done it. Too many uncomfortable road trips under my belt to not take it seriously. Can’t sell the car either.

I'm not sure if swapping seats is possible, but even if it were, I don't think it would be worth it.

Have you looked into getting the seats reupholstered? There's a good chance that reupholstery would be cheaper, especially if your only issue is the seat bottom. You'd be able to sample the different foam and padding materials and pick what feels comfortable to you.

Is it possible the seats get softer over time? We have about 55k on the clock. Still much firmer than gen 2 (spent enough time to know I liked it more). I would be very serious about the swap if it were plug and play or if someone had done it. Too many uncomfortable road trips under my belt to not take it seriously. Can’t sell the car either.
14k on my 19 and they’re not getting any better.

The seats in my wife’s 16 are significantly softer than my 19, especially the bolsters.

This is so weird that there are multiple people saying the 16 seats are softer... Ours was a rental car, and the only thing I can think of are this point is a manufacturer using lesser quality seats for a rental (even possible?), or more likely, repetitive cleaning has taken its toll in some way. Either way, I trust you guys. If 3rd gen isn’t any better in your eyes then definitely not worth pursuing.

I'm not sure if swapping seats is possible, but even if it were, I don't think it would be worth it.

Have you looked into getting the seats reupholstered? There's a good chance that reupholstery would be cheaper, especially if your only issue is the seat bottom. You'd be able to sample the different foam and padding materials and pick what feels comfortable to you.
No I have not looked into this. Definitely worth a bit of couch time research. Thanks for the idea.

Back