CX-5 Petrol vs Diesel Engine

:
2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT
I was wondering if anyone outside of the US, was able to test the CX-5 with the 2.5 liter gas engine and the 2.2 diesel engine. If so, how do they compare to each other when it comes to highway passing power? What about when quickly taking off from a stop? I suppose I could wait till later in the year when the diesel models become available here in the US, but I'm really curious right now :)

The Diesel has significantly more torque and it starts lower in the rev range. However, the power band of torque is from 1.5K to 3K and then it starts dropping quickly, reaching below the 2.5 gas numbers after 5K RPM.
What it means that the initial response to pressing the pedal is very strong, but it runs out of breath, so it is not really any quicker 0-60. It also means that with abundance of torque, you don't need to down-shift to get it to move. It will feel very strong and very responsive, especially off the line or when passing.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, the 2.2 diesel well and truly outperforms the 2.5 petrol. Strong off the line, and great for overtaking. As atowing vehicle, the diesel is in a totally different class - no contest at all.

Where I worked until end of last year, there were several CX5's in the fleet and the GT I had at the time was a diesel, i had several colleagues ask to test drive it before they decided on which of the 2.2 or 2.5 to get as their company car. Every one of them who tested both versions, got the 2.2 diesel. Those who didnt test and got the 2.5 and who later had a drive of my 2.2 said they wished they had got the diesel.

The 2.2 can easily be tuned for wider rsnge performance, like the gas. However you can 6 sec 0-60 fromma tuned diesel with 50hp and 100tq easy... the diesel is stronger than the gas engine period..

I'm very surprised that the diesel is that fast. Interesting engine. I'd still own a gas engine.

The secret of getting the best from the diesel is to get it up the box at low revs. Left alone, my auto box will allow the revs to climb way above the useful torque range as mooted above but if I mean business and need to accelerate as quickly as possible, I pop the shift lever over and change up at 2000rpm. I promise you, it doesn't matter how steep a hill you are climbing, it just flies. I can understand some of you doubting the worthiness of the diesel but just keep an open mind until you've tried one. You might just be surprised ��

Speaking from experience, the 2.2 diesel well and truly outperforms the 2.5 petrol. Strong off the line, and great for overtaking. As atowing vehicle, the diesel is in a totally different class - no contest at all.

Where I worked until end of last year, there were several CX5's in the fleet and the GT I had at the time was a diesel, i had several colleagues ask to test drive it before they decided on which of the 2.2 or 2.5 to get as their company car. Every one of them who tested both versions, got the 2.2 diesel. Those who didnt test and got the 2.5 and who later had a drive of my 2.2 said they wished they had got the diesel.
For fleet diesel will be driven 20000 miles+ each year. At that level.... Diesel premium will be paid back in fuel gains alone.
In US gas is cheap. A gallon= 3.6 litres is cheaper than cheapest Starbucks coffe. Gallon is still at sub $2 range. Most buyers cross shopping Rav4 may go with 2.5L. which is a good choice.

For fleet diesel will be driven 20000 miles+ each year. At that level.... Diesel premium will be paid back in fuel gains alone.
In US gas is cheap. A gallon= 3.6 litres is cheaper than cheapest Starbucks coffe. Gallon is still at sub $2 range. Most buyers cross shopping Rav4 may go with 2.5L. which is a good choice.

One US gallon actually equals 3.78 litres. 1 x Imperial gallon = 1.54 litres.

Gee it would be good if all countries adopted the metric system, seriously, it is so much easier to work with!! But of course some will agree with this guy on how sensible and modern the imperial system is.....
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/1ri0rc/man_explains_imperial_measurements_to_prove_how/

What do you pay per gallon of diesel over there? At the moment, we are paying around A$1.30/litre for diesel. That is US$6.12 per gal!!

Unleaded is anywhere between A$1.22 and $1.45 /litre here. US$6.85 per gal!!! Aaarrrggghhhh!

Yes there is a premium to pay for the diesel engine in many markets, and yes, it takes higher than average annual mileage to make the $ equation work for diesel.

But its not ONLY about $.......

The OP didnt ask about economy, he asked about performance. The diesel blows the petrol engine away.

Last edited:
What do you pay per gallon of diesel over there? At the moment, we are paying around A$1.30/litre for diesel. That is US$6.12 per gal!!

Unleaded is anywhere between A$1.22 and $1.45 /litre here. US$6.85 per gal!!! Aaarrrggghhhh!

Yes there is a premium to pay for the diesel engine in many markets, and yes, it takes higher than average annual mileage to make the $ equation work for diesel.

But its not ONLY about $.......

The OP didnt ask about economy, he asked about performance. The diesel blows the petrol engine away.

Diesel was 10% expensive late 2016. Cx5 competes with some budget entries. As i said 2.5t or 2.2d will not pay Mazdas bills.
If mazda brings the diesel the price premium will be important, if its too high they won't sell.

The engine and core engine components will last much longer if that matters. They sound like hell and smell like it too. Course the 2.5l sounds like a diesel too when cold. Diesel will gag cyclists, kill baby seals, and make your childrens grow horns. Can be harder to find good mechanic in my experience and higher cost. Bring us some diesels baby!

The graph Mazda UK sent me shows different figures to yours.
340nm at 1500rpm
380nm at 1800rpm
420nm at 2000rpm (peak)
395nm at 2400rpm
380nm at 2600rpm upto 3000rpm.

The150ps engine does have a flat torque curve starting at 380nm from 1800rpm to i think 2600rpm, figures are in the UK brochure. for the 150ps.

Maybe the US is different.

The Diesel has significantly more torque and it starts lower in the rev range. However, max torque is available from 1.5K to 3K and then it drops quickly to below the 2.5 gas numbers after 5K RPM.
What it means that the initial response to pressing the pedal is very strong, but it runs out of breath, so it is not really any quicker 0-60. It also means that with abundance of torque, you don't need to down-shift to get it to move. It will feel very strong and very responsive, especially off the line or when passing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm really looking for a tad more passing power on the highways and better fuel economy. I can't wait to test drive the diesel CX-5 when it arrives in the US later this year.

The graph Mazda UK sent me shows different figures to yours.
340nm at 1500rpm
380nm at 1800rpm
420nm at 2000rpm (peak)
395nm at 2400rpm
380nm at 2600rpm upto 3000rpm.

The150ps engine does have a flat torque curve starting at 380nm from 1800rpm to i think 2600rpm, figures are in the UK brochure. for the 150ps.

Maybe the US is different.

Perhaps I should have not use the word 'max' and instead should have used 'power band'.
For comparison, the 2.5L SkyActiv-G peak torque is ~250 Nm at 3250 RPM, has ~75% of the torque at 1500, but keeps torque almost flat between 3250 and 5K.

Back