CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

The site sponsor at the top of this page is a good source for maintenance parts. I can't get the link above to guide me to the right page. Try this link instead.

Maybe the site owner or a Mod could advise Med Center Mazda to change the link?

Last edited:
When I used a Fumoto valve on my Subaru, owners used to file a notch in the threads so that 99.5% of all the crankcase oil drained out. Ed

I use a Fumoto on two Subies, and have one for the CX-5. You're talking about a thimble-full of oil in the depression of the oil pan, that the longer Fumoto might block. I let my engines drain for 60 minutes, and they still drip, drip, drip after all that time, with a hot engine. If there's metal chunks in the oil pan, they will drop out on the first drain with the stock oil plug. (But only if they are right next to the drain plug hole. There isn't enough speed of flow an inch or more away to wash a chunk of metal out of the pan). Any chunks created after that point means your engine is going to fail anyway...

I guess it's now normal forum behavior (every forum) for some people to obsess. I see it on equipment review, cycles, photo gear, flashlights, etc. sites.

On the Fumoto website FAQ section it mentions you don't need to file the valve's threads down.

Q: Does the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the oil pan and impede drainage of the engine oil?

A: No. Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves are designed to fit individual drain pan specifications and in almost every situation will not extend into the drain pan. However, replacement or aftermarket oil pans may differ from the original oil pan specification and as a result the valve stem may protrude further into oil pan than normal.

Sounds like Fumoto valve engineers have rectified the problem of leaving 1/4 quart of oil in some crankcases. Yaaaa. Ed

Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve

On the Fumoto website FAQ section it mentions you don't need to file the valve's threads down.

Q: Does the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the oil pan and impede drainage of the engine oil?

A: No. Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves are designed to fit individual drain pan specifications and in almost every situation will not extend into the drain pan. However, replacement or aftermarket oil pans may differ from the original oil pan specification and as a result the valve stem may protrude further into oil pan than normal.
I thought this topic has been discussed earlier at post #192? Like some one said, Fomoto lies to our face as many users had found out their Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve does protrude into the oil pan and impede drainage of the engine oil! This is also true to CX-5 application. You can measure the thread length of the valve and oil pan to verify.

Very informative link about Fumoto drain valve although this "Mythbusters: Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve" is for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi:
NateCal said:
Myth #1- The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve, once installed, extends into the oil pan so that it is not flush and could allow for build up of unwanted particles inside the pan.

So as far as Myth #1 goes, it is:
The Fumoto valve extends aprox 1/8" to 3/16" into the oil pan.

Myth #2- Due to Myth #1, metal shavings and other particles will remain in the oil pan when using the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve to change your engine oil.

Plausible!

Also this observation is consistent with the statement I saw before for the CX-5 with a Fumoto drain valve:
NateCal said:
To me, that says the 1/8" to 3/16" of the valve extended inside the pan is NOT stopping the oil from bringing all the crap out with it when it is draining.

However, I cleaned my oil pan again, and planned to remove the Fumoto valve and flush a full quart of fresh oil through just to see what else would come out without the valve installed.

When I removed the valve I was kinda of shocked by the amount of oil that was still in the oil pan. There was probably a good 10 second stream of oil that came out once the valve was removed.

Then I ran the full quart of fresh oil through (without the valve installed). I then repeated the process of carefully dumping the oil, leaving the crap behind, to examine the oil pan. And the was NOTHING. The pan was clean as a whistle. Everything came out when I initially drained the oil using the valve. Even with the little oil that was trapped in the pan by the Fumoto valve.

nutcore said:
thank you for some actual evidence Nate. It's good to know that Fomoto lies to your face claiming that the threads don't extend into the pan.
Q. Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A. No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

Technically these are not "Crush "washers but, flat aluminum washers. Ed

...looks plenty crushed to me...

...but technically, you might be right...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 2,026
Bought one of these oil filters from the dealer, don't even come in a box anymore. Happens to be one of those "value" filters from Mexico, gasket wasn't even lubed like the Japanese ones.IMG_3660.JPG
attachment.php

Bought one of these oil filters from the dealer, don't even come in a box anymore. Happens to be one of those "value" filters from Mexico, gasket wasn't even lubed like the Japanese ones.View attachment 215914
attachment.php
Mazda superseded Japan made PE01-14-302A to Thailand made 1WPE-14-302 oil filter several months ago. Both of them come with paper box and lubed gasket. But the sizes are a little different between them and you can tell the difference on quality! I bought all leftovers of OEM Japanese oil filters from Med Center a while ago. What is the part number for this "new" oil filter from Mexico? This has to be another cost cutting by Mazda! (boom08)

Mazda superseded Japan made PE01-14-302A to Thailand made 1WPE-14-302 oil filter several months ago. Both of them come with paper box and lubed gasket. But the sizes are a little different between them and you can tell the difference on quality! I bought all leftovers of OEM Japanese oil filters from Med Center a while ago. What is the part number for this "new" oil filter from Mexico? This has to be another cost cutting by Mazda! (boom08)
PE01-14-302A-MV , saw another thread on here somewhere about it...maybe MV means Mexican Value?? lol.. Definitely has a cheaper feel to it, disappointed this is dealer stock.

Just picked up four PE01-14-302A filters on Amazon. Needless to say the supply will eventually dry up. I really liked those. Is anyone on here using aftermarkets? That Value filter really looks cheasey and I'd like to find a good aftermarket replacement.

Get the PE01-14-302A while you still can. I just recently got a dozen from an ebay seller.

I saw some people complained that they ordered PE01-14-302A online, but received 1WPE-14-302 Mazda oil filter instead! (boom05) The seller explained that Mazda officially superseded PE01-14-302A with 1WPE-14-302 and nothing he could do about it. Of course the seller insisted the quality between the two is the same because they both are OEM. When I placed the order to Med Center, I called them first making sure they'd send me PE01 filter when they saw my particular order. Thailand made 1WPE filter has smaller diameter than Japan made PE01 filter and my current oil filter cap wrench would fit smaller 1WPE filter a little loose.

full-49315-267-img_1352.jpg

full-49315-268-img_1353.jpg

Wix 57002 filter is specially made for Mazda SkyActiv engine.

I saw some people complained that they ordered PE01-14-302A online, but received 1WPE-14-302 Mazda oil filter instead! (boom05) The seller explained that Mazda officially superseded PE01-14-302A with 1WPE-14-302 and nothing he could do about it. Of course the seller insisted the quality between the two is the same because they both are OEM. When I placed the order to Med Center, I called them first making sure they'd send me PE01 filter when they saw my particular order. Thailand made 1WPE filter has smaller diameter than Japan made PE01 filter and my current oil filter cap wrench would fit smaller 1WPE filter a little loose.

full-49315-267-img_1352.jpg

full-49315-268-img_1353.jpg

Wix 57002 filter is specially made for Mazda SkyActiv engine.

maybe not such a good substitute...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3446537/1

I'm fine with the 302s, mainly because I had them before from the dealer and didn't notice a difference with fit or installation lol, which is what I'll probably get from amazon. Sad to see Mazda is going this route, and I realize it's part of the business but I wonder what else they're cheaping out on. With all the R&D they did on redesigning this engine, oil filters don't seem to be the area to be doing this IMO.

Last edited:
⋯ Sad to see Mazda is going this route, and I realize it's part of the business but I wonder what else they're cheaping out on. With all the R&D they did on redesigning this engine, oil filters don't seem to be the area to be doing this IMO.
I was wondering the same thing too⋯

BTW, Wix 57002 is also made in Mexico! May be it's the same filter as Mazda's "Value Line" oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV and both come from the same manufacture in Mexico! ;)

I was wondering the same thing too⋯

BTW, Wix 57002 is also made in Mexico! May be it's the same filter as Mazda's "Value Line" oil filter PE01-14-302A-MV and both come from the same manufacture in Mexico! ;)

Ordered the Wix 57002 a few days ago on Ebay since local Oreillys was out of stock. Waiting for it in mail. I'm pretty sure the Wix 57002 doesn't look like the 302's though. The Wix 57002 has circles with no ADV vs the 302's rounded rectangles with visible (filter element?) I thought 302's were made in Asia?

Also Wix makes the skyactiv filters sold at Napa. Only thing that might suck is my oil wrench intended for the 302A might not fit the Wix 57002.

41NJxiLf7dL.jpg

Last edited:
I thought 302's were made in Asia?
There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)
Actually, for all we know, the interior might all be the same. Until some one can dig up actual specs, no one really knows what's different. They do feel cheaper, though.

Back