CX-5 Off Road Question

What is the "most off-road" you would take a stock CX-5 Grand Touring? I am trying to decide between a 6 and a CX-5 - but if the CX-5 cannot go on to fire roads, etc., then I'll go with the 6.

Personally, a gravel hill at a moderate grade is probably what I would expect it could handle easily. Of course, if you push it hard enough, I'm sure it could handle worse, it just isn't really designed for it (approach angles and all that). If you don't need the extra space, the 6 with adequate tires will probably be good enough for most fire/gravel roads.

Top things on my mind having a cx5 GT off road is gonna be the 19" wheels / skinny sidewall tires and bashing something underneath. Not being interested in replacing tires from damage and nasty looking scuffs on wheels, my personal limits would be decent hard packed fire roads with minor ruts.

That being said, I think the cx5 is plenty more capable of handling terrain a whole lot worse than I'm personally willing to put it through. Check out the terrain in this compact SUV off road challenge they put these through. (And they all seemed to make it)

I've personally had my 16.5 touring (17" wheels) on some fire road areas that I would not have been taking a sedan.

I'm surprised at some of the responses here.

We don't have 'fire roads' where I live in the Midwest, but I have ridden my mountain bike on many miles of fire roads in Arizona near the Grand Canyon.

You could have driven nearly ANY vehicle on those fire roads...Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, ect.
The roads certainly didn't require high ground clearance or AWD/4WD.

These are the types of roads I'm referring to.
OP, it would be helpful to find some pictures online that represent the type of terrain you'll be driving on. If it is anything like what is pictured below, you could drive literally any non-performance car.

1590152234504.png

1590152685916.png

Last edited:
Thanks, all - the roads approximate the photos that Bluegrass provided - with some occasional ruts and grades. And, it would be only a few times a year. And, the snow we get here that would make higher ground clearance comes in only a few times a year. So, I don't really need AWD and ground clearance - it's more the satisfaction of knowing that I could if I needed to. What informed your choice of the CX over another vehicle?

A few years back I got stuck in some deep snow in an unplowed road in my old 2004 Lexus ES 330. I swore I would never own a FWD vehicle or a sedan ever again. I also experienced traction loss in other snowy situations. The CX has more space than a sedan, better ground clearance, 4-wheel independent suspension, and a proper rear differential (not low speed only AWD systems as in some hybrids). It also fit my budget at 25,803 with the factory hitch (another useful feature I wanted, plan on towing a 5x8 trailer cross country this year or next). I also checked Consumer Reports' reliability ratings and reviews, which rank the CX-5 as the best compact SUV.

Thanks, all - the roads approximate the photos that Bluegrass provided
And, it would be only a few times a year. And, the snow we get here that would make higher ground clearance comes in only a few times a year. So, I don't really need AWD and ground clearance.
Given this, I would absolutely go with the 6 over the CX-5, and get the FWD version. You can easily take the Mazda 6 FWD on fire roads like those in the pictures I posted.

The only reason to go with the CX-5 is if you needed the additional cargo capacity, which it doesn't sound like you do.

Thanks, all - I don't "need" the cargo capacity, but I jumped from a Camry to Jeep Liberty in my last vehicle and loved having the open hatch with the fold down seats. Might just need to flip a coin here . . .

A few years back I got stuck in some deep snow in an unplowed road in my old 2004 Lexus ES 330. I swore I would never own a FWD vehicle or a sedan ever again. I also experienced traction loss in other snowy situations. The CX has more space than a sedan, better ground clearance, 4-wheel independent suspension, and a proper rear differential.
The OP states they rarely get snow where he lives and "doesn't really need AWD and ground clearance."

This article would be a good read for the OP...
Why You Should Avoid All-Wheel Drive Unless You Need It
https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/why-you-should-avoid-all-wheel-drive-unless-you-need-it-226433

Thanks, all - I don't "need" the cargo capacity, but I jumped from a Camry to Jeep Liberty in my last vehicle and loved having the open hatch with the fold down seats. Might just need to flip a coin here .
I agree, the open hatchback area can definitely be very useful.

You might look into the Mazda3 Hatchback, although it is a smaller vehicle.
I wish they sold the Mazda6 Wagon here. It would be the ideal vehicle...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ets-refreshed-now-bring-it-to-america-please/

I've taken it down washed out gravel country roads, and part of my driveway is a 27% grade, 300+ foot long gravel hill.

So far I have only broken a mud flap. Washed out roads have some potholes/limbs from floods/moving water/etc. and I guess it bottomed out on it and snapped the push-fastener.

The OP states they rarely get snow where he lives and "doesn't really need AWD and ground clearance."

Chocolate is just posting their experience. I'm sure Donutman can take the info provided and use it to decide for himself.

Also, Donutman, the CX-5 is available in FWD if you want the extra cargo space, higher load floor, and better ground clearance, but don't want AWD.

I think the Gen1 cx5 has about 8.5 inches of ground clearance and Gen2 is a bit less.
The other parameter related to off road capability is approach angle. I guess overall width has something to do with it, too.

the discussion on AWD being better /worse is a whole other thing :)

the discussion on AWD being better /worse is a whole other thing :)

That thread has gone horribly off topic. I think the only reason it's being kept open at this point is to ensure the OP gets the answer they're looking for.

This is about as far as I've taken my previous 18 Touring CX5. The only issues I've had on dirt is angle of approach on the trails and deep/wide ruts. In the snow, well the pics show where the limit is.

As far as the OP original question. both a 6 and a CX5 can do fire roads.

98478436_187565629100094_5443628661200650240_n.jpg
100062461_3546880795328056_7186980355075735552_n.jpg
99384571_2598677003793088_8375673323736006656_n.jpg
99297664_1107389342959168_6691245931167219712_n.jpg

Back