CX-5 Hood strut options?

As there is no difference in the body structure for the 2020 the hood struts that have been previously used on 2017+ will work. Realize most ecommerce sites will be slow to update cross reference for a brand new vehicle so the consumer has to use a bit of common sense when shopping. The cross reference will be even slower for direct shopping from non US vendors (Chinese drop ship -- looking at you aliexpress.com or banggood.com or dhgate.com )

If only there was a resource that gathered common used parts, and put them in a single spot...

the document shares some options (these are pretty generic in nature and just two examples of MANY):
HIGH FLYING Car Accessories Hydraulic Jack Front Hood Lift Supportshttps://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
2017 2018 Mazda Cx-5 Cx5 Front Hood Engine Cover Hydraulic Rod Strut Sp W5E8https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Looks like the Amazon link has gone "unavailable" bummer.. but there are a few more options in the document when you check it out.

Last edited:
The High Flying brand on Amazon were perfect for my 2019,Easy install,i used blue loctite on lower mount nuts.30k plus car and Mazda can’t include $10 Struts!

The High Flying brand on Amazon were perfect for my 2019,Easy install,i used blue loctite on lower mount nuts.30k plus car and Mazda can’t include $10 Struts!
Same here.

Great product.
Easy install.
Makes me smile every time I pop the hood.

Year, these steel hoods are rediculous (-ly heavy). Almost all the struts should work well.

Why do these companies list their struts as working for 2018, 19, 20 and not 2017?

Same car.
The easiest guess.. the seller started selling struts in 2018, didn't bother actually doing any research for the previous year and the parts compatibility reflects that.

Why do these companies list their struts as working for 2018, 19, 20 and not 2017?

Same car.
How much do you expect from companies, that rather pay an American copy writer, uses language like "constructed securely materials will make strong product and use easily" - okay I'm exaggerating, but not by much

Last edited:
Why does it seem like there are so many options for Gen2 hood struts, but barely anything out there for Gen1? Are they really that much different?

Not sure about gen1 but on gen2 the hood is the heaviest one I have ever seen on any car in the last 10 years or so. May be that’s a reason?

Heavy hoods are done to reduce the tendency for the hood to aerodynamically resonate and "flutter" at high speeds. Didn't the early CX-5s suffer from this?

- Mark

Heavy hoods are done to reduce the tendency for the hood to aerodynamically resonate and "flutter" at high speeds. Didn't the early CX-5s suffer from this?

- Mark
Yep, despite the crazy heavy hood on our 2014, it still had some shaking issues. Part of that was a TSB about the sealant between the hood skin and frame separating, and an updated cowl seal. I installed the updated seal and stuffed some foam backer rod in between the hood frames and skin, which seemed to help.

Back