CX-5 Headlight Scratch

:
19 CX-5 AWD GT
Hi folks, I’m new in this forum and I bought a 2019 CX-5 AWD GT. I’m so happy with that car!

I have a question in regard detailing. The driver headlight has a scratch that feels rough to the touch. I was wondering if you guys know a way to fix it, or should I buy a new headlight. I’m sure people will be more than fine with that scratch but I really want to fix it before I put a protective film to prevent oxidation

I would love your input and suggestions! Thank you!

5A5511DB-8909-46C1-8DF8-A989279CA036.jpeg

It’s my understanding that New headlights are very expensive. Not sure if the GT model has the adaptive headlights which might need some dealer setup. You Should get a quote from your dealer.

yes GT trim and above have the most expensive lights the adaptive ones + signature light + led.
One unit is more than 1000 usd.
You can try polishing but most likely that would destroy the clearcoat on top of the plastic. Or just live with it if it doesnt distort light beam.

yes GT trim and above have the most expensive lights the adaptive ones + signature light + led.
You can try polishing but most likely that would destroy the clearcoat on top of the plastic. Or just live with it if it doesnt distort light
I thought the GT, GTR and Sg had the high end light units.

Yes. high end sealed and expensive.
Led bulb out or broken plastic and big surprise for the owner.

It’s my understanding that New headlights are very expensive. Not sure if the GT model has the adaptive headlights which might need some dealer setup. You Should get a quote from your dealer.
This is correct. When you remove the AFS headlight, it has to be recalibrated with the steering angle sensor by the dealer so it points in the right direction as the steering wheel turns. So says my body shop.

It is possible to repair, but it would take some work. Lots of sanding, then wetsanding, then polishing, and finally a sealant. Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may not be able to remove them completely, but you will be able to minimize their appearance greatly.

Start by masking the area off to avoid accidentally sanding areas you don't want to sand. Begin with a low grit sandpaper to level out the scratches, then progressively move to higher grits. I'd try 400 or 600 grit first, sanding horizontally (left to right). Then 800 grit, sanding vertically (up and down). Then I'd try wetsanding with 1200 grit, then 2400 grit, again alternating directions. Rinse and dry the sanded area after each step. Following that, I'd apply a good plastic polish. I recommend Novus or Meguiar's PlastX - I've used PlastX to refinish an acrylic aquarium and it worked great, but if I were to try again I think I'd use Novus. Finally, after applying the polish, use an IPA wipe to clean the surface, then apply a good wax/sealant/coating for UV protection. You can use almost any wax/sealant/coating for auto paint on the headlights as well, but you need to re-apply it as often as the product you use recommends. Do not skip the sealant step - all that sanding and polishing removes the original layer of UV protection, and sealant is meant to take it's place.

Given the small area that needs to be repaired, I could see this being a 1-2 hour job, maybe 3 if you want to take your time. Much better than paying $XXX for a new headlight assembly (and possible recalibration).

I'd talk to a body shop, I'm sure they would be able to eliminate or reduce the scratching then add whatever type of coating is on the plastic lens.

You can't just replace the plastic lens, you have to replace the whole assembly. ~$1500.00

For what it's worth, it seems as though the scratches are not in the pathway of the headlight (unless it is the camera angle). I would definitely try and have the lights repaired/sanded/polished first and then consider replacement of that is insufficient.

One unit is more than 1000 usd.
You can try polishing but most likely that would destroy the clearcoat on top of the plastic. Or just live with it if it doesnt distort light beam.
I did not know that. And yes, they are LED and they move as I turn the steering wheel. I’m planning to put them a UV Protecting feel. Based on my previous car, the clear coat is not as strong a UV film.I did not know they were so expensive! I was expecting maybe 400 dollars. I think you’re right, maybe just live with it.

It is possible to repair, but it would take some work. Lots of sanding, then wetsanding, then polishing, and finally a sealant. Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may not be able to remove them completely, but you will be able to minimize their appearance greatly.

Start by masking the area off to avoid accidentally sanding areas you don't want to sand. Begin with a low grit sandpaper to level out the scratches, then progressively move to higher grits. I'd try 400 or 600 grit first, sanding horizontally (left to right). Then 800 grit, sanding vertically (up and down). Then I'd try wetsanding with 1200 grit, then 2400 grit, again alternating directions. Rinse and dry the sanded area after each step. Following that, I'd apply a good plastic polish. I recommend Novus or Meguiar's PlastX - I've used PlastX to refinish an acrylic aquarium and it worked great, but if I were to try again I think I'd use Novus. Finally, after applying the polish, use an IPA wipe to clean the surface, then apply a good wax/sealant/coating for UV protection. You can use almost any wax/sealant/coating for auto paint on the headlights as well, but you need to re-apply it as often as the product you use recommends. Do not skip the sealant step - all that sanding and polishing removes the original layer of UV protection, and sealant is meant to take it's place.

Given the small area that needs to be repaired, I could see this being a 1-2 hour job, maybe 3 if you want to take your time. Much better than paying $XXX for a new headlight assembly (and possible recalibration).
Wow! What a great and detailed advice! I will definitely do that for sure! I like to take my time and detail my work therefore it will take me like 3 hours. Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely follow it as you recommend. Do tu recommend to sand the whole headlight to keep consistency all around the headlight or just in the affected area? Thank you very much for taking the time to answer and for your detailed advice.

For what it's worth, it seems as though the scratches are not in the pathway of the headlight (unless it is the camera angle). I would definitely try and have the lights repaired/sanded/polished first and then consider replacement of that is insufficient.
Yeah, they don’t distort the lights. Is just a cosmetic scratch.

Wow! What a great and detailed advice! I will definitely do that for sure! I like to take my time and detail my work therefore it will take me like 3 hours. Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely follow it as you recommend. Do tu recommend to sand the whole headlight to keep consistency all around the headlight or just in the affected area? Thank you very much for taking the time to answer and for your detailed advice.

No problem. I've done something similar to a pair of headlights on a different car I had, and that was the advice that was given to me. It worked like a charm, so I'm just passing it on :)

I'd just sand the affected area at first, and as you go higher in sandpaper grit, expand the area slightly to "blend" each step in with the previous step. Here's a pic to illustrate what I mean.

headlight.JPG

Orange = 400-600 grit
Green = 800 grit
Blue = 1200 grit (wetsanded)
Yellow = 2400 grit (wetsanded)
Then, if you wanted, you could wetsand the whole headlight with 4000 grit.

Also, I forgot that you planned to add a protective film after repairing the scratches - in that case, after using the plastic polish, wipe the whole headlight clean with an IPA wipe, then apply your film. After the film has had time to adhere to the headlight, you can apply a sealant or coating for extra UV protection and to add water repellency (helps to keep the headlight clean).

Thank you very very much!! I’ll get all my stuff together and work on it soon. I’ll do my best to do a good job! I’ll put a before and after once I finish the project! Thank you sm1ke for your amazing support!!

Thank you very very much!! I’ll get all my stuff together and work on it soon. I’ll do my best to do a good job! I’ll put a before and after once I finish the project! Thank you sm1ke for your amazing support!!

I look forward to seeing the results! Take care and have fun with it :)

Back