CX-5 GS (Canada)

Yes. If you don't know about Glock32's experience, you certainly have not been paying attention. Our concerns are based on facts, not assumptions.

My understanding is that Glock32's CX-5 was experiencing symptoms of a loose rocker arm. He took it to the dealer, they did the recall, and sent him on his way. Following the recall, he was still experiencing symptoms, so he brought the car back and they determined that the rocker arm had fallen off and the engine needed to be replaced.

If that's correct, that shows that the recall, which is a software update, does not correct the mechanical issue of a rocker arm that has already fallen off. Makes sense. What Mazda should be doing as part of this recall is treating loss of power complaints as if the rocker arm has already fallen off, and inspecting the engines to confirm this before swapping in new engines.

But back to the point.. I'd be more interested in seeing a case where someone buys a new car with CD, the dealer does the recall before delivering the car, but the car still experiences loss of power issues or needs to have the engine replaced because the rocker arm fell off. That would be almost infalliable evidence that the software doesn't do s***. I say almost because we don't how how the car was driven to load it onto the boat/train/truck and get it to the dealership - a lot attendant could have easily driven it in such a way that would cause the rocker arm to fall off before the car got to the dealership and the service guys had a chance to do the recall.

Yes. If you don't know about Glock32's experience, you certainly have not been paying attention. Our concerns are based on facts, not assumptions.

The recall will not correct a mechanical issue that has already occurred, as pointed out by sm1ke. Show me proof of a failure, post recall, on an engine that wasn't already compromised. Your "concerns" are based on fearmongering, not facts.

The recall will not correct a mechanical issue that has already occurred, as pointed out by sm1ke. Show me proof of a failure, post recall, on an engine that wasn't already compromised. Your "concerns" are based on fearmongering, not facts.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, and/or concerned that there could be a lingering issue.

It's just that there is no evidence that there is a lingering issue, and hence no justification for the doom and gloom pronouncements.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, and/or concerned that there could be a lingering issue.

It's just that there is no evidence that there is a lingering issue, and hence no justification for the doom and gloom pronouncements.

This is the point. Nobody knows the extent of the problems, but we know for sure that they exist in some engines. Mazda had been selling these engines for almost two years before they started recalling them. They are not inspecting the engines that come in for the software fix, so the owners have no way of knowing if their engine had been previously compromised. That's unforgivable to my mind. They know the dangers.

Everyone will have a different attitude about the CD failures. I truly hope it's not an ongoing problem because I don't want to see Mazda hurt by this. I think they're a great car company. I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot by not doing what needs to be done to make sure this has the minimum impact on its customers.

Some of us are raising questions. Answers are not forthcoming. Absence of evidence, which Sig claims, never proves anything. Raising issues and asking questions is not fear mongering or doom and gloom. Absence of knowledge is, by definition, ignorance. People deserve to know all they can about the problem.

The recall is less than 2 months old. Time will tell.

You didn't really think the software fix would solve a mechanical problem, did you? Or that anyone would?

Concerns=fearmongering? Newspeak. Absense of evidence? Meaningless.

You didn't really think the software fix would solve a mechanical problem, did you? Or that anyone would?

Of course not. I was simply pointing out your error in using Glock32 as an example of a post fix failure.

Of course not. I was simply pointing out your error in using Glock32 as an example of a post fix failure.

It literally was a post "fix" failure. They sent him on his way, and it wasn't fixed.

The point is that the recall may or may not "fix" the problems, regardless of the car's previous condition. We don't know yet.

You're looking in the wrong place because you're asking the wrong question. Be patient. More information will be forthcoming.

It literally was a post "fix" failure. They sent him on his way, and it wasn't fixed.

Yes, post recall on an engine that was already damaged prior to it. Show me a post fix failure on a fresh sale. That's really the point here, as the OP was responded to with this:

Actually you should get the GX as it's 2.5L doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

The point is that the recall may or may not "fix" the problems, regardless of the car's previous condition. We don't know yet.

You're looking in the wrong place because you're asking the wrong question. Be patient. More information will be forthcoming.

What we know, is that this hasn't been a huge concern for owners of these vehicles. As, failures to date have been sparse. I agree that it would be comforting if Mazda would include some type of reassurance to those that have the recall performed. Especially, after driving around several months plus without it. If they can't visually verify, at least extend the warranty to cover any potential failure down the road. All I can say, is I would rather have a CX-5 with CD, than a CR-V with their excessive oil dilution.

... Show me a post fix failure on a fresh sale. That's really the point here...
No, it's entirely beside the point and doesn't prove anything. Obviously, we have differing ideas about what the "point" is.
...What we know, is that this hasn't been a huge concern for owners of these vehicles. As, failures to date have been sparse...

C'mon, man you're just blowing smoke. We don't know any of that. All we know about this is what we read here, populated by a tiny subset of Mazda owners. We don't have enough data to know what the situation really is.

You seem sure it's not a big problem because you haven't heard of any failures after the fix. That doesn't make sense. I think it's a bigger problem because we just don't know how widespread it is, and how effective the "fix" is. And I think Mazda is not handling it well from the customer's standpoint at all. And because I understand how critical an unexpected loss of power can be.

To summarize, you've got your mind made up, and I'm waiting for more data. So be it. In the meanwhile, potential buyers can make up their own minds based on all of the available information.

My take on CD is, rocker arm failure is not a widespread problem and the recall fixed the potential problem. Mazda said that. However if my car throws a rocker off while I am zooming on the highway in the center lane, I would be very angry at Mazda for lying and I would probably let everyone know about it on all bulletin boards.

About the choice of models, if a person is only going to have their car for 5 years or less then buy any trim you want. Others, like myself, keep cars for a minimum of 10 years, and I would have preferred one without CD and without a turbo and without all the whistles and bells such as tire pressure monitors and autonomous braking and intelligent cruise control etc that can go wrong and expensive to repair.

My take on CD is, rocker arm failure is not a widespread problem and the recall fixed the potential problem. Mazda said that. However if my car throws a rocker off while I am zooming on the highway in the center lane, I would be very angry at Mazda for lying and I would probably let everyone know about it on all bulletin boards.

Exactly! This is the reason why I say it's not a big issue, like the one Honda is dealing with. Their forum is proof that people want to be heard when they feel betrayed. That is not happening here. Some people are sending smoke signals trying to warn people of a non warranted issue. Mazda has been climbing the quality ladder the past few years. I put more faith in them, then some anonymous internet naysayers.

Just so we're all on the same page. The recall is not meant to fix the problem, it's meant to prevent the problem. It does nothing for a car that is already experiencing power loss issues - in that case, what dealerships should be doing (immediately after doing the recall) is inspecting the engine and replacing it if required.

I'd say that at this point, it's safe for the layman to assume that the software alone will prevent the rocker arm from falling off. Now, if there are issues reported from those that had their engines replaced after having the recall done (i.e. cars with the correct software and and brand new engines), then it's clear that the software update doesn't do s***.

Looking into a 2019 cx5 and just read about this CD issue. Is the general consensus on the board to upgrade to the GTR-turbo or signature? I am not sure what the software fix addressed, however if this is a hardware issue then i am a bit nervous. Would it be worth waiting for the 2020's to roll in? Perhaps they scrapped the CD on the GS line....prob not

BTW, I'd be much more worried about direct injection carbon buildup than the cylinder deactivation boogeyman. That is a known problem with almost all GDI engines and much more likely to cause an issue at high miles.

The 2019 Mazda CX-5 received Consumer Reports top predicted reliability rating, 5/5. This rating holds true across the model line. I've had mine for two months, a short time it's true but in my recently formed opinion anyone who doesn't buy one is an idiot!

Back