2017~2024 CX-5: Funky Climate Control

Hi,

I recently bought a brand new CX-5 and I'm having some issues with the climate control and I want to know what's normal and what isn't.

On the day I bought the CX5, within a few minutes of leaving the dealer I had a few puffs of smoke or vapour come out of the vents, this seemed to happen every time i-STOP engaged.

I went straight back to the dealer and they said it's common and it will stop happening within 100km. I have not seen anything since and I have done over 1,000km at this point.

However, I do get weird smell every time I have the CC set to fresh air intake, particularly when I stop the car at a traffic light or something and the AC is on. I can't tell if its an oil smell, new car smell, leather or what. There is no smell when it is set to recirculate.

Now, today I noticed that the car isn't blowing hot air, no matter what the climate control is set to and despite passenger and driver being set to the same temperature, the passenger side is slightly warmer, but it is certainly not heating at all.

For context: Outside temp was about 16C and we were trying to get inside up to 23C. Tried without AC, tried with AC, tried with AC ECO, AUTO/SYNC - it only got older not warmer. The car was at operating temperature, and we drove about 25km at highway speeds.

I just want to know, is any of this normal at all? Are there any known issues about this?

Thank you!

Edit: I forgot to mention, it's the top level trim, 2.5 Turbo with Napa leather and 360 cam: Signature/Akera/Takami/etc. but with the old infotainment, not the new 10" one.

Last edited:
I hope that all the magic didn't escape with that first puff of smoke!

Nothing that you described sounds normal to me. Perhaps the smell. For a few weeks after I brought our new CX home I had a bit of a burnt oil smell only detectable when I parked in my garage. It didn't last long and never came through the HVAC system.

Upvote 0
Back