CX-5 Front Washer Pressure low

Lately my front windscreen washer spray pressure in my 2015 CX-5 has been completely crap, barely even enough pressure to get any of the water onto the actual glass. But the rear one works fine.

I checked fuses, in case there were 2 (which I thought might explain the reduction in pressure rather than complete failure) and had a check for blocked nozzles, but still not got anywhere.

Can anyone offer any advice? It seems like it's probably something simple and common, but some searches online haven't helped. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

J

Thanks very much. I checked it at the spots that are easily accessible and also looked underneath for drips, but no luck. I'm not going to start dismantling the whole car to find it so it sounds like one for the garage to look at. Hopefully not going to be too expensive. Thanks for your help.

What kind of fluid do you use? I’ve heard that stuff like the Rainx windshield wiper fluid can gum up the lines vs more traditional fluids. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks very much. I checked it at the spots that are easily accessible and also looked underneath for drips, but no luck. I'm not going to start dismantling the whole car to find it so it sounds like one for the garage to look at. Hopefully not going to be too expensive. Thanks for your help.
If you don’t see any drips underneath while doing the spray, most likely you don’t have any leaks along the path. The other possibility now is a weak washer motor at the bottom of the washer fluid plastic container, which can be replaced by yourself if you want to.

I've read that too in my searches. I've used rainx on the screen itself but not the stuff you put in the tank. I usually just use concentrated screenwash mixed with water, strength depending on the season. Thanks for the idea. It reminds me though that I read that putting warm water in can help remove a blockage, so I'll try that tonight after work. Cheers.

What kind of fluid do you use? I’ve heard that stuff like the Rainx windshield wiper fluid can gum up the lines vs more traditional fluids. Just throwing that out there.

If you don’t see any drips underneath while doing the spray, most likely you don’t have any leaks along the path. The other possibility now is a weak washer motor at the bottom of the washer fluid plastic container, which can be replaced by yourself if you want to.
Thanks yrwei.
I looked into it on your recommendation and that's not a job I have the skill to do well or the time to do badly.

Just a further question though for someone who's done it - is there only 1 pump? Because it seems strange if so that the rear spray works fine. If that is the case maybe a blockage is the most likely explanation?

Thanks yrwei.
I looked into it on your recommendation and that's not a job I have the skill to do well or the time to do badly.

Just a further question though for someone who's done it - is there only 1 pump? Because it seems strange if so that the rear spray works fine. If that is the case maybe a blockage is the most likely explanation?
Honestly I haven’t looked in detail about how many washer motors the CX-5 has. In theory there should be 2 motors, one for front and one for rear. The front windshield washer motor usually attached to the reservoir and the rear washer motor is in-line to the fluid tube. You can listen to the motor noise while you’re activating the front and rear washers to find the location of them. But for Mazda CX-5 I believe you may have to get the whole washer reservoir with motor, and you can’t get motor alone.

Again this’s only my general experience from other vehicles, our Mazda CX-5 could be different.

Have you tried to use a needle to clean up (insert into) the spray nozzles? If that’s not doable, try to remove the nozzle and clean it inside.

Last edited:
I believe it is only one pump controlling both, but not 100% sure.
There’s a pump at the bottom of the washer reservoir. But when you activate the rear washer, you’ll hear the motor noise from rear. That’s the hint of the second motor in the back side. Besides, using 2 motors is a lot easier to control front and rear washers separately. Otherwise you still need a second relay or electrical valve to direct washer fluid to the front or to the rear.

Honestly I haven’t looked in detail about how many washer motors the CX-5 has. In theory there should be 2 motors, one for front and one for rear. The front windshield washer motor usually attached to the reservoir and the rear washer motor is in-line to the fluid tube. You can listen to the motor noise while you’re activating the front and rear washers to find the location of them. But for Mazda CX-5 I believe you may have to get the whole washer reservoir with motor, and you can’t get motor alone.

Again this’s only my general experience from other vehicles, our Mazda CX-5 could be different.

Have you tried to use a needle to clean up (insert into) the spray nozzles? If that’s not doable, try to remove the nozzle and clean it inside.
Yes, I tried the needle. It did improve it slightly but not much. I also removed them and tested the spray without them and it was still weak so I think it's the pump or a blockage that's the problem. I'll try warm water in case it's gunk in there that some heat will solve but then I'm onto taking it in I think. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your ideas everyone

I've been using Rain-X windshield washer fluid exclusively for nearly 30 years on many different vehicles and never had a problem. I've seen reports of two issues:

1. Some older models of vehicles had a conductivity type washer fluid level sensor instead of a float type. The silicone in the Rain-X fluid could build up on the electrodes causing them to become electrically insulated which would lead to false "low washer fluid" warnings.

2. Mixing Rain-X with certain other windshield washer fluid solutions can create globs of thick gel that clog up fluid level sensor floats, pump motors, nozzles, and lines. If you switch to Rain-X or back to something else, be sure to run out all the old fluid first. Don't let anyone top off your Rain-X filled reservoir with anything else.

2. Mixing Rain-X with certain other windshield washer fluid solutions can create globs of thick gel that clog up fluid level sensor floats, pump motors, nozzles, and lines. If you switch to Rain-X or back to something else, be sure to run out all the old fluid first. Don't let anyone top off your Rain-X filled reservoir with anything else.
That’s the potential scenario I had in mind if different solvents were being used ; )

There might be a screen/filter on the end of the fluid pickup to keep trash from getting in the nozels, it might be passing enough for one wiper on the back but not enough for two on the front? Can you take it out from the bottom?

I've solved it!
Finally had time to try putting hot water in, which didn't help, but while I was waiting to see if it took time to work I had another tinker and found a no return valve on the pipe just by where it comes out of the wing. The valve is wrapped in padding to stop it shaking around, but I thought the padding didn't have anything else in it. Anyway, the valve seems to be jammed. Taking it out solved it, and I've ordered a new one from eBay for £1.80.
Glad I didn't take it to the dealer! Thanks for all your advice.

I've solved it!
Finally had time to try putting hot water in, which didn't help, but while I was waiting to see if it took time to work I had another tinker and found a no return valve on the pipe just by where it comes out of the wing. The valve is wrapped in padding to stop it shaking around, but I thought the padding didn't have anything else in it. Anyway, the valve seems to be jammed. Taking it out solved it, and I've ordered a new one from eBay for £1.80.
Glad I didn't take it to the dealer! Thanks for all your advice.
That valve seems to be controlling the washer fluid direction to front or rear. Glad you caught it and thanks for the update!

It’d be nice if you can post a picture of the valve and location as well as part number or eBay link.

This is the old one, wrapped in protective foam.
15944648096854589841812970699038.jpg

This is the replacement (in blue). It's not a Mazda part, just a generic one I find by searching eBay. 'screenwash no return valve 4/5mm pipe'.
15944646550063000346587857681.jpg

Also, I don't think it controls front/rear, as it's right by the front windscreen, not long before the jets.
Yes, it’s not the valve I thought it’d be. And thanks for posting pictures!

Back