2017~2024 CX-5 Front grinding sound...Any ideas?

2017 cx5, purchased new in June 2018, only 16,000 miles. I park on the street in Chicago. 6 weeks ago we got 2 feet of snow. Didn't drive for a few days, but ever since I've had a terrible grinding sound from the front end. Only at low speeds when decelerating (with or without brakes applied) and when making sharp turns, worse in reverse. Thinking it was just oxidation, I've tried hard braking, multiple brake pumping, even an under carriage car wash, nothing fixes it. I can't imagine a car with 16,000 miles and less than 3 years on the road would have rotor or pad issues. Any thoughts?

Solution
Well this was both humbling and a huge relief. I happened to look underneath the car and saw a panel hanging down, ended up being the oil pan cover. It most likely got dislodged driving through the high snow/ice we had back in February. McGrath Mazda took care of it for free!

Thanks to all of you who responded, ended up being best case scenario.
2017 cx5, purchased new in June 2018, only 16,000 miles. I park on the street in Chicago. 6 weeks ago we got 2 feet of snow. Didn't drive for a few days, but ever since I've had a terrible grinding sound from the front end. Only at low speeds when decelerating (with or without brakes applied) and when making sharp turns, worse in reverse. Thinking it was just oxidation, I've tried hard braking, multiple brake pumping, even an under carriage car wash, nothing fixes it. I can't imagine a car with 16,000 miles and less than 3 years on the road would have rotor or pad issues. Any thoughts?
Since you said the grinding noise happens when decelerating with or without brakes applied, and when making sharp turns, this should be an obvious problem by failing engine mounts and / or transmission mounts, and it has nothing to do with brakes IMO. Mazda redesigned engine / transmission mounts for gen-2 CX-5 with liquid-filled mounts and they have been having issues during low temperature. The 2’ of snow with low temperature could have exposed the problem of your engine / transmission mounts and they’re failing and it’s hitting something with engine running. Take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer ASAP before your 3-year warranty expires and bring this TSB with you:

TSB 01-022/18 - BODY VIBRATION WHEN ENGINE STARTED AFTER PARKING IN EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES

Your CX-5 could have other issues causing the grinding noise. Don’t tell them the possible engine / transmission mount problem at front, just let them diagnose the noise problem. You then bring up the TSB asking for replacement of #1 engine mount with improved version if the dealer did nothing about any mounts.

Upvote 0
Since you said the grinding noise happens when decelerating with or without brakes applied, and when making sharp turns, this should be an obvious problem by failing engine mounts and / or transmission mounts, and it has nothing to do with brakes IMO. Mazda redesigned engine / transmission mounts for gen-2 CX-5 with liquid-filled mounts and they have been having issues during low temperature. The 2’ of snow with low temperature could have exposed the problem of your engine / transmission mounts and they’re failing and it’s hitting something with engine running. Take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer ASAP before your 3-year warranty expires and bring this TSB with you:

TSB 01-022/18 - BODY VIBRATION WHEN ENGINE STARTED AFTER PARKING IN EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES

Your CX-5 could have other issues causing the grinding noise. Don’t tell them the possible engine / transmission mount problem at front, just let them diagnose the noise problem. You then bring up the TSB asking for replacement of #1 engine mount with improved version if the dealer did nothing about any mounts.
Thank you, really appreciate your response and info! Got an appointment next week, hoping all is covered by warranty.

Upvote 0
Does the sound remain while coasting? Does the sound change with the speed of the car? I think there is a rock stuck between your rotor and caliper.

Upvote 0
Did you look for a stone or scratch in the rotor? Let us know what they say after your visit to the dealer, it benefits everyone to hear issues and solutions.

Upvote 0
Well this was both humbling and a huge relief. I happened to look underneath the car and saw a panel hanging down, ended up being the oil pan cover. It most likely got dislodged driving through the high snow/ice we had back in February. McGrath Mazda took care of it for free!

Upvote 0
Solution
The small removable oil change cover?

Mine is kind of warped. It's a pain to re-install it after an oil change.

Upvote 0

Thanks! I would have never guessed that.

Upvote 0
Back