CX-5 DRL issue?

Have had my 2019 CX5 GS AWD for a few months now and just noticed that the DRLs are turning off after I top for a few moments behind another vehicle and then take a bit to turn back on after I begin more again. It seems super odd. Anyone have an idea what's happening?

See what's that I thought as well, but they are turning off completely, only the turn single is seen until I begin moving again. They turn off as if I was in park.
I think this is normal. Not sure why but they programmed the drl to be on only while actually driving

“The daytime running lights turn on automatically when the vehicle starts moving. They turn off when the parking brake is operated or the shift lever is shifted to the P position (automatic transaxle vehicle). The daytime running lights can be deactivated. Refer to Personalization Features (Search).”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Considering the reason for DRLs, it makes perfect sense.
To turn them off while idle seems pointless. The idea is to make the car visible on the road. If its stopped why doesnt it still need to be visible? Im pretty sure no other car turns the drl off in this manner. It’s strange.

I quoted the owners manual in my last post and it mentions that putting the car in park will turn them off, that makes a bit more sense than stopped at a light.

Upvote 0
The DRLs are to make a moving vehicle more visible to avoid head-on collisions. When stopped it isn’t moving. Why do you need DRLs stopped in traffic?

That said, my 2021 DRLs stay on as long as I’m in gear.

Upvote 0
To turn them off while idle seems pointless. The idea is to make the car visible on the road. If its stopped why doesnt it still need to be visible? Im pretty sure no other car turns the drl off in this manner. It’s strange.

I quoted the owners manual in my last post and it mentions that putting the car in park will turn them off, that makes a bit more sense than stopped at a light.
It makes sense. I have never seen cars have them turn off when stopped, only when signaling have I noticed this. I'll ask the dealer the next time I'm in. I'm in Canada and they are required (obviously only when moving) but it takes upwards of 30 seconds for them to turn back on after I start moving again.

Upvote 0
The DRLs are to make a moving vehicle more visible to avoid head-on collisions. When stopped it isn’t moving. Why do you need DRLs stopped in traffic?

That said, my 2021 DRLs stay on as long as I’m in gear.
This is a pointless argument however IMO being stopped doesnt negate the need for the car to be more visible.

Upvote 0
On my first gen CX-5, you play the Hokey Pokey with the start button and the emergency flasher button, and you can disable them. I did it, and now don't have to deal with them at all.

Upvote 0
hidden pokemon game :)
you gotta love mazda engineers sense of humor. Same works on gen2 at least up to 2019.
On topic, that is the first thing I did. disable the always on headlights.
If it was only the 'led signature rings' i get it but to have the headlamps always on is so 2000s..

Upvote 0
Back