2013~2016 CX-5 diesel engine goes off/stalls suddenly

It's a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWS diesel 2.2 auto transmission and I live in Australia.

I experienced the following incidents. Please help before I go to dealer so that I would know more about the problem.

As seen in the first video IMG_2168.MOV, I turned off i-stop so it's showing orange in the panel. The engine goes off on traffic light or in slow traffic
like in the shopping center parking in busy days.

The battery shows green so it's full.

What's wrong?

It's a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWS diesel 2.2 auto transmission and I live in Australia.

I experienced the following incidents. Please help before I go to dealer so that I would know more about the problem.

As seen in the first video IMG_2168.MOV, I turned off i-stop so it's showing orange in the panel. The engine goes off on traffic light or in slow traffic
like in the shopping center parking in busy days.

The battery shows green so it's full.

What's wrong?
Have you opened the hood and checked all fluid levels especially the engine coolant level? Have you had a chance to read the error codes if any with a code reader?

From your video, there’s not much information we can see other than you don’t have any idle. This can be many possible different things wrong so let us know first on above questions.

Upvote 0
Have you opened the hood and checked all fluid levels especially the engine coolant level? Have you had a chance to read the error codes if any with a code reader?

From your video, there’s not much information we can see other than you don’t have any idle. This can be many possible different things wrong so let us know first on above questions.
Fluids are at normal level. Unfortunately I don't have code reader at home to check it.

And I had one more stall case yesterday:
Switched Off the i-stop so it was showing orange on the panel and drove car for a bit and then
stopped at the curb and maximized the AC and over a sudden the engine went off.

I always drive with keeping i-stop Off so all my observations are while i-stop is Off.

Upvote 0
Fluids are at normal level. Unfortunately I don't have code reader at home to check it.

And I had one more stall case yesterday:
Switched Off the i-stop so it was showing orange on the panel and drove car for a bit and then
stopped at the curb and maximized the AC and over a sudden the engine went off.

I always drive with keeping i-stop Off so all my observations are while i-stop is Off.
People here in the US don’t have diesel and the experience is limited. The most common problem on 2.2L diesel we’ve seen recently is a major one, overheating without any warning which usually blew the head gasket. You should watch the coolant level carefully as potentially that overheating problem could occur although usually there’s no sign of warning before such problem happening.

Your diesel has been losing the idle intermittently but it isn’t losing power while driving. Obviously there’s no CEL displayed in instrument cluster. Provided you’ve been keeping up proper maintenance and diesel recalls, there could be many reasons of your problem but my guess is you could have a batch of bad diesel fuel、partially clogged fuel injectors、weak diesel fuel pump、failing turbo charger、or clogged air filter. You can try some good diesel fuel injector cleaner first but this would take at least a couple of tanks of diesel fuel to be effective if partially clogged injectors is your problem.

Upvote 0
Looks like a vacuum leak to me.
When it happened to my co-worker's Lexus RX, the engine could not hold idle, but it was OK to drive as long as the gas pedal was pressed.
No CEL, correct? Same in my co-worker's case.

The tow trunk gentleman came and did Italian tune-up (you know, rev the engine a few times). It became OK. Strange. However, it happened to my co-worker again next morning.
Dealer visit might be needed.

Upvote 0
Just another thought. If you drive your CX-5 without turning the i-stop off, does the engine stop / start cycle work normally? And if you turn the I-stop off while driving and the engine stops at idle, can you restart the engine by just pressing the accelerator like the i-stop is on?

Upvote 0
Just another thought. If you drive your CX-5 without turning the i-stop off, does the engine stop / start cycle work normally? And if you turn the I-stop off while driving and the engine stops at idle, can you restart the engine by just pressing the accelerator like the i-stop is on?
I normally go with i-stop Off. But as shown in my video record here the i-stop was On but the engine went Off on stop. And I had to push the start button to turn it On.

In all stall cases I've seen so far the engine goes Off, battery LED is turned On and i-stop LED is orange.

Two more observations, the day that the stall happened few times I turned On the engine after few starts as the engine was struggling to hold on idle as it's weak. And then I take on an uphill street and push the gas and the RPM was jumping around 2000 as if the engine is too weak or as if the engine struggles to burn or a as if not all cylinders are working.

I had a Toyota for 5 years and never ever searched any issues on the Internet. I am amazed how many forums and blogs are out here on the Internet for Mazda. Such a big regret to changed my car to a Mazda...

Upvote 0
I normally go with i-stop Off. But as shown in my video record here the i-stop was On but the engine went Off on stop. And I had to push the start button to turn it On.
So somehow your problem seems to be i-stop related as you can’t re-start the engine by pressing the accelerator when the i-stop is on. Your problem definitely can be more complicated.

Upvote 0
Update on this.

The engine stall happens in any situations. On drive or on stop, with gear on D/M or in P, with or without A/C, whether there are only the driver or more passengers in the car...

Upvote 0
Final update

The problem was with the high pressure fuel pump that is placed in the engine. The dealer changed it and the car has been running since Jan without problem.

Upvote 0
Final update

The problem was with the high pressure fuel pump that is placed in the engine. The dealer changed it and the car has been running since Jan without problem.
Thanks for the update.

Upvote 0
Back