CX-5 Died

Very surprised they did not at least offer to split the cost. Disappointing, but as others have said I would try to go up the ladder. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Very surprised they did hit at least offer to split the cost. Disappointing, but as others have said I would try to go up the ladder. You have nothing to lose.
No, MNAO didn’t offer to split the transmission replacement cost to OP.

The $3,000 off is off a new Mazda purchase, not the repair.

No, MNAO didn’t offer to split the transmission replacement cost to OP.

If it were me, that would not be the end of the conversation. I would be pushing for an alternative offer, asking for the case to be reopened, asking for my case to be escalated. This is not to say that what I'd be asking for is possible, I'm just saying that I would be looking to exhaust all options. At that point, if Mazda stops communicating or we're unable to reach an agreement, I'd file a BBB claim and take it from there.

@SFnative in the end, it all depends on how much time and effort you want to invest in getting a better solution. It also depends on your tact when dealing with everyone you speak to. IMO, if you speak to them as if you've given up on the brand and won't be buying from them in the future, there is less incentive for them to step out of their way to help. It might be possible that offering $3k off a new Mazda was because they knew you were planning on buying a 2020, but I don't know if you had spoken to them about the prior, or if that was their final offer.

Of course if I were you I won’t keep this CX-5 long.

I mean it's got a brand new transmission and that was the only issue with this year of Mazda. I would hope you wouldn't get rid of the car now after dumping 6 grand into it lol.

I mean it's got a brand new transmission and that was the only issue with this year of Mazda. I would hope you wouldn't get rid of the car now after dumping 6 grand into it lol.
No, I’d fight with MNAO to the top, because I’d seen people who have got some help from them without warranty on transmission. If I couldn’t get anything from Mazda, I’d install a used transmission for about $1,000 with labor, then sell the CX-5 afterwards.

And your transmission from Mazda is not brand new by the way, it’s a rebuild.

No, I’d fight with MNAO to the top, because I’d seen people who have got some help from them without warranty on transmission. If I couldn’t get anything from Mazda, I’d install a used transmission for about $1,000 with labor, then sell the CX-5 afterwards.

And your transmission from Mazda is not brand new by the way, it’s a rebuild.
Listen I get it, you are like that. What I'm saying is the man in the post said he has already spent 6 grand getting a replaced transmission, and I'm telling you that there are no more major things that will go wrong with the car now, so it would be dumb to get rid of it after you just put 6k into it.

Listen I get it, you are like that. What I'm saying is the man in the post said he has already spent 6 grand getting a replaced transmission, and I'm telling you that there are no more major things that will go wrong with the car now, so it would be dumb to get rid of it after you just put 6k into it.
Well, you took my words out of context in your previous post. What I said was:

“Like Chris_Top_Her said, go get a used transmission and find a reputable transmission shop to replace your failed one. Of course if I were you I won’t keep this CX-5 long.“

I was talking about replacing the failed transmission with a used one for minimum cost, then sell the car at his earliest convenience. There’s nothing related getting a “brand-new” rebuilt OEM transmission for $6,000, then sell it. In fact, the OP has never mentioned he took the Mazda “offer” and got his transmission replaced with OEM transmission for $6,000!

Well, you took my words out of context in your previous post. What I said was:

“Like Chris_Top_Her said, go get a used transmission and find a reputable transmission shop to replace your failed one. Of course if I were you I won’t keep this CX-5 long.“

I was talking about replacing the failed transmission with a used one for minimum cost, then sell the car at his earliest convenience. There’s nothing related getting a “brand-new” rebuilt OEM transmission for $6,000, then sell it. In fact, the OP has never mentioned he took the Mazda “offer” and got his transmission replaced with OEM transmission for $6,000!

His original post made it sound like he got the work done.

Thank you for advice. Hopefully we will and it was “just an unfortunate failure for an otherwise reliable car then drive it until the wheels fall off.”!

It sounds like the $5600 repair was done. Either way, new trans or not, I personally would keep driving it. I understand wanting to abandon the manufacturer based on your experience, but to be honest, it doesn't hurt them one way or another if you sell it or keep it. If anything, this experience would be factored into my next vehicle purchase. I'd probably also stop taking the car to the dealership for anything other than recall work.

Sounds like the work was done and money changed hands.

If this were to happen to me....
I would definitely call MazdaNA to share cost with persistence. If they refuse eventually, I would go to an independent shop for a refurbished one. Likely $2-3k. After that, I will sell the car and say goodbye to Mazda. Guess why I left Honda for good after owning 4 of their vehicles.

From my experiences, Mazda is not the worst automakers in out-of-warranty financial assistance. I used to frequent BMW, Honda and Toyota forums. Initial refusal is the SOP of automakers unless customers persist and press on. That said, customers do not always win the cases.

My two cents.

Back