2013~2016 CX-5 Coolant maintenance

@davmac
I previously found the coolant FL 22 as Mazda 0000-77-508E-20
Is the part number you listed Mazda 0000-77-501E-02 a concentrate or for a specific engine model?

I see your lengthy post here:

and I simply wanted a better understanding -- oh and to document the knowledge sharing document more correctly.

Be aware of the TSB i mentioned in this thread. It applies to the CX-5 as well. Looks like the heater core is very susceptible to getting plugged from rust particles in the coolant. To prevent this mazda has added more rust protection on their coolant and change the concentration. So doing a complete flush is a good idea to remove as much particle as possible, but leaving much water in the system probably isn’t.

^ what Mazdiod2 said about coolant hoses.
I prefer to do 1 - 3 simple drain and refill the radiator with premixed coolant rather than trying to get to a purely water filled system.
But I understand that you might feel better if you did multiple drain and refill until you see nothing but water. In that case there are 2 choices for concentrated OEM coolant and 2 choices for aftermarket concentrate original equipment coolant:
Mazda 0000-77-501E-02
Motorcraft VC-10-A2
Aftermarket online: Ravenol J4D2091-10 HJC FL22
Aftermarket available at many auto parts stores:
PEAK OET ASIAN VEHICLE EXTENDED LIFE GREEN CONCENTRATE: PEA PAG0B3
OEM concentrated coolant Mazda 0000-77-501E-02 is no longer available from Mazda dealers. And whether or not the Mazda 0000-77-501E-02 is an FL22 coolant is questionable as the label doesn’t say.

I believe OEM Mazda FL22 coolant now only comes with pre-diluted 55/45 formula.

Be aware of the TSB i mentioned in this thread. It applies to the CX-5 as well. Looks like the heater core is very susceptible to getting plugged from rust particles in the coolant. To prevent this mazda has added more rust protection on their coolant and change the concentration. So doing a complete flush is a good idea to remove as much particle as possible, but leaving much water in the system probably isn’t.
Good to know. But without Mazda OEM concentrated coolant, it’d be more expensive to use Mazda OEM pre-diluted 55/45 FL22 coolant, which could have updated formula mentioned in the TSB, to flush multiple times to get old coolant out of heater core. I wish there’s a legit Mazda OEM concentrated FL22 coolant available.

^ .

Motorcraft VC-10-A2
Aftermarket online: Ravenol J4D2091-10 HJC FL22
Aftermarket available at many auto parts stores:
PEAK OET ASIAN VEHICLE EXTENDED LIFE GREEN CONCENTRATE: PEA PAG0B3
Is this Peak just as good? Can it be safely mixed with the residual OEM?

Manual:

-The engine has aluminum parts and must be protected by an ethylene-glycol-based coolant to prevent corrosion and freezing.

-Do not use coolants containing Alcohol, Methanol, Borate or Silicate. These coolants could damage the cooling system.

The PEAK Asian Long Life coolant meet the criteria. " It contains high-quality organic acid technology (OAT) corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, silicate and amines chemicals. " Additionally it is a PHOSPHATE-ENHANCED OAT which is what the FL-22 is.
Blue
Green

My mechanic used this coolant when he changed my skyactiv Mazda6 's water pump. Complete flush via his machine. It does a really good job keeping my engine cool in the desert and good performance so far. Available at my nearby Autozone. Both colors re the same formula just different dye in case you want to top off on your Asian make.

I'm about to do a flush/fill on my CX-5 as were just short of 120k miles. I've already changed the serpentine belt and plan on changing the waterpump belt for peace of mind.

Edit: After draining out original OEM coolant, all other fills should be changed by 5 years.

On CX-5 I did 9 drain/fills to dilute old coolant. I poured 1 gallon fresh new coolant and did 10th drain/fill. 11th drain/fill with fresh new coolant coming up soon. FYI, I converted to PEAK Blue OET coolant.

1st and 9th.jpg
Coolant change.jpg

I used this coolant funnel kit for easy pouring and air bleeding. Fits skyactiv mazdas perfectly.

OEM tools.jpg

Back