CX-5 Carbon wheel with curb rash, fixable?

Hard to say without seeing the extent of the damage, but usually its best to have a professional assess the damage in person to get the most accurate info in terms of whether it's fixable and how much it might cost.

When a wheel repair shop fixes a wheel correctly, welding, sanding, painting and polishing is involved. What I would do is price out the cost of a new wheel, as well as the cost to swap the tire and TPMS sensor over, plus mounting and balancing. If the total cost of the curb damage repair exceeds the cost of the new wheel, I'd just get a new wheel - but the chances of that are fairly low.

If you can live with the damage and the tire isn't leaking air, I might also suggest just living with it. If it was curbed once, it'll probably be curbed again (ask me how I know.. lol).

Upvote 0
Over 10 years ago I curbed a wheel and had it repaired by a local wheel repair shop. As I recall it cost around $100 back then, the repair was invisible.

A less costly alternative would be to try to match the black wheel paint. Masking off the undamaged areas and using a rattle can wouldn’t be perfect but it would be less obvious that the bright silver damage.

Upvote 0
A picture would help, but most curb damage is cosmetic so it’s all a matter of what you want to pay vs how bad it looks. A little masking and a rattle can will probably improve things quite a bit at low cost. Even a black sharpie will help.

Keep in mind that keeping low-profile wheels in pristine condition is very hard, especially if you have to parallel park on tight urban streets. You may want to live with the damage for awhile and see how the car fares.

Unless you know what you’re doing, I’d leave any grinding and sanding to a good wheel shop - they can probably get it looking “as new” but it won’t be cheap. But It will likely be a lot cheaper than a new wheel. Unless these wheels are starting to be plentiful on the used market, I doubt finding a used wheel would be cost effective. I’d guess these wheels are popular as upgrades so demand and prices are high.

- Mark

Upvote 0
Black sharpie (might look slightly purple) is an extremely cheap way to cover things up in the interim. I did this to a Subaru with black wheels way back while researching repair/replacement, and I ended up just touching them up every once in a while. Wasn’t a big rash, but still— money saved.

Get a wide-tipped one.

Upvote 0
Or some black lacquer from a hobby shop works good.

Or black nail polish. I use a bronze nail polish to hide curb marks on my bronze wheels, and while they don't match perfectly, it looks better than the exposed metal.

Upvote 0
Back