CX-5 Carbon Red Seat Color Fading

:
mazda cx5 gt
The red color of seats on my new cx-5 Carbon Edition appears faded. The leather has lost the original sheen it had when new. Vehicle has only 2400 miles on it, always parked in garage and I put up windshield sun shade whenever parked outside
in sun.

The faded color is only on top of seat and backrest surfaces. The side surfaces still retain original color and luster. Not sure if side seat surfaces are actually leather.

Anyone out there with similar issue?

Also, any suggestions as to which leather conditioner might restore original sheen / luster to leather. I have tried Aerospace 303 protectant and Meguiar's gold class conditioner on small sections of leather however after wiping with micro fiber cloth, leather returns to it's faded dull appearance.

Thought I would post this on forum before I take my beef to the Mazda dealer.

Thanks!

It may be that the seating surfaces are vinyl-covered leather, so applications of conditioner may do nothing.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
The widow sticker list of standard equipment lists "Leather Trimmed Seats".
My previous 2017 CX5 Grand touring had "leather trimmed" seats that held up well, never loosing their luster/sheen.

“Leather Trimmed” means that the surfaces your body touches are some kind of leather. That means the rest is “not leather”.

Even with leather seats, I believe that unless you're talking high end luxury, most all cars (is most all contradictory) are a coated leather. It's been debated ad nauseum whether conditioner does anything. Prolly a discussion for a reddit detail thread

How bad is the fading? Any pictures?

Have you had a professional detailer take a look at it yet? If not, I would get their opinion on what they think the cause might be. They may offer some valuable insight based on their own professional experience.

Please post some pics. I also have a Carbon Edition, but with black leather. The red interior looks nice, but I was worried if it would “bleed” to my clothing.

The red color of seats on my new cx-5 Carbon Edition appears faded. The leather has lost the original sheen it had when new. Vehicle has only 2400 miles on it, always parked in garage and I put up windshield sun shade whenever parked outside
in sun.

The faded color is only on top of seat and backrest surfaces. The side surfaces still retain original color and luster. Not sure if side seat surfaces are actually leather.

Anyone out there with similar issue?

Also, any suggestions as to which leather conditioner might restore original sheen / luster to leather. I have tried Aerospace 303 protectant and Meguiar's gold class conditioner on small sections of leather however after wiping with micro fiber cloth, leather returns to it's faded dull appearance.

Thought I would post this on forum before I take my beef to the Mazda dealer.

Thanks!
Solution : http://www.hallmazdamilwaukee.com/blog/how-to-maintain-your-mazdas-leather-upholstery/

No problem with red color transfer to clothing
IMG_0524[1].JPG

Please post some pics. I also have a Carbon Edition, but with black leather. The red interior looks nice, but I was worried if it would “bleed” to my clothing.
So far, no problem with color "bleed" onto clothing.

That sucks. I would take it to some shops (leather) and ask for opinions, then I'll garb that information and take it to the dealership.

I almost bought the Carbon Edition, specially that red interior. I was going back and forth for a good hour in the dealership parking lot, but finally I pulled the plug on a Silver (my favorite color) GT with rear sensors. It only cost me an extra $55o difference. I did the math and I know I'll get my money back when I'll trade it in the future.

I really was missing that red interior for about 20 minutes. But after reading your thread I'm glad I got the GT.

Good luck with the issue and keep us posted.

Would love to see an update on this. Based on the picture posted, it looks like the protectant/dressing the dealer used on the seat just wore off. I would try reapplying a protectant/dressing to bring the shine back.

That red interior was the biggest reason I was gonna get the Carbon edition, it's really nice. I liked it better than the black interior. If I was the owner I would just take it to the dealership. Who knows what'll happen in a year from now, more discoloration, etc.

I have a 18 GT with parchment color. The driver side is slowly fading. It looks like the leather is getting rubbed off. I have tried using meguiars to maintain the leather integrity but looks like its not working. I ordered some seat covers just to preserve it.

Back