CX-5 brake sound won't go away

First time poster hoping I could get some help or advice here.

I recently went to Mazda to get an oil change, tire rotation and brake fix.

~ They replaced my rotors and brake pads. I noticed a day after the car would make a sound like a city bus stopping when I applied the brakes (Not every time, about 50% of the time).

~ Took it back to Mazda, they said the rotors had dirt on them, which they claimed to clean off. The sound continued happening.

~ Took it to another autobody shop which said it appeared that the brake pads were just a different material that's 'rougher' and the sound should stop when the brakes wear in.

The sound hasn't stopped...Any ideas?

Brake squeal is almost always the vibration between the pad and the caliper, not the rotor. The most likely scenario is the “mechanic” who did the work either failed to use any grease between the pad backing and the caliper, and/or failed to reinstall the anti-rattle clips.

Upvote 0
You may want to try to "bed" the new brakes in by doing several rolling stops from 50+ mph to 5 mph using a steady firm braking. That will help if there is any grease film or dirt present. Ed

Upvote 0
You may want to try to "bed" the new brakes in by doing several rolling stops from 50+ mph to 5 mph using a steady firm braking. That will help if there is any grease film or dirt present. Ed
My only hesitation about that is Mazda claimed to clean the dirt they saw on the rotors, yet the sound still happens

Upvote 0
I agree with Carpe Diem and Ed but I think most of us are assuming that the dealership used OEM brake pads which should not squeak. Some aftermarket pads, especially those for occasional track use will squeak even if all clips and grease are applied directly.
Here is an often recommended "Bedding in" procedure.
That being said I must also mention that I've never needed to do this.

Upvote 0
Here is an often recommended "Bedding in" procedure.
That being said I must also mention that I've never needed to do this.
Same here. I’ve never had a need to do this “bedding in” process after all the brake pad replacements with resurfaced or new rotors. I use OEM pads all the time, and apply proper anti-rattle grease between calipers and pads with anti-rattle shims and clips if there’s one. No brake squeal.

Upvote 0
New pads that are glazed from light dragging of brakes will cause noise. Often times just a few firm rolling stops from highways speeds will help, otherwise the pad surface needs to be sand papered to remove the glaze. JMO.. Ed

Upvote 0
First time poster hoping I could get some help or advice here.

I recently went to Mazda to get an oil change, tire rotation and brake fix.

~ They replaced my rotors and brake pads. I noticed a day after the car would make a sound like a city bus stopping when I applied the brakes (Not every time, about 50% of the time).

~ Took it back to Mazda, they said the rotors had dirt on them, which they claimed to clean off. The sound continued happening.

~ Took it to another autobody shop which said it appeared that the brake pads were just a different material that's 'rougher' and the sound should stop when the brakes wear in.

The sound hasn't stopped...Any ideas?
I agree with CarpeDiem that your problem most likely is caused by improper installation on anti-rattle procedures (grease、shims、clips, etc.) on brake pads. Go back to your Mazda dealer and ask them to fix the brake squeal problem.

Mazda dealers should use OEM pads, and your brakes shouldn’t squeal.

Upvote 0
My rear brakes made noise from new at slow speeds. After correction at dealer, it still made some noise on occasions but was significantly better.

I replaced my brakes with Powerstop pads and blank rotors, using grease on sliding features and Brake Quiet on pushing features (piston and back of shim). Now silent.

Upvote 0
Back