CX-5 Brake replacement suggestions?

Hello,

Looking for brake replacement suggestions for my '16 CX-5 sport.

Any good experiences/suggestions with a good set of brakes? Would prefer all brake parts to be the same brand (front and rear).

Thanks.

Last a while? I'm on the original brakes...30,000 miles.
I've not had any wear issues with any brakes I've ever used. I'm @ 105k miles on my 16.5 cx5 on original front pads. Never had any issues with Raybestos.

Hello,

Looking for brake replacement suggestions for my '16 CX-5 sport.

Any good experiences/suggestions with a good set of brakes? Would prefer all brake parts to be the same brand (front and rear).

Thanks.
I believe knowing the maintenance mode on your rear brakes with EPB, and not turning your rear caliper piston when you do the piston push-down are more important than picking up a good set of brake pads. Make sure to read this excellent thread first by tomcat1446:

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

The factory rear disk calipers on your 2016 CX-5 are having some issues. Mazda has revised these to prevent disk dragging or even locking up. See the attachment of the TSB by Anchorman for details:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I’d use OEM brake pads (NOT the OEM Value Products brake pads) for my brake pad replacement.

I recently replaced all (4) rotors and pads yesterday with the Raybestos Element 3's along with a brake bleed. My setups below:

Old:
Fronts
: Akebono ACT Ceramics
Rotors: CarQuest Platinum Painted

Rears: Mazda OEM
Rotors: Mazda OEM OEM

New:
Fronts
: Raybesto Element 3
Rotors: Raybeto Specialty - Street Performance; Coated Rotor

Rears: Raybesto Element 3
Rotors: CarQuest Platinum Painted

After driving 100 - 120 miles, I can say that the Element 3's have a better bite and they stop much quicker in wet or dry. Not an apples to apples comparison but considering the front does 70% of the braking with the rear being 30%, I prefer the EHT3's more.

Another thumbs up for the Raybestos Element 3's. I used these on my front brakes and in addition to having better grip and modulation feel, they were a lot cheaper. The OEM Mazda pads and the (separately sold) stainless steel pad guides totaled out to about $100 for online purchase. The Raybestos pads included new guides and cost about $37 delivered. No brainer for when I do the brakes again.

<BUMP>

So looks like 2 recommend for raybestos 3.
Anyone else have a favorite?
Looking to replace stock size, not upgrade to bigger brakes...just get better rotors, and pads.

Looking for slotted rotors, not drilled rotors.

Was looking at ecb yellow stuff or maybe the red stuff..anyone running ecb pads?

Last edited:
<BUMP>

So looks like 2 recommend for raybestos 3.
Anyone else have a favorite?
Looking to replace stock size, not upgrade to bigger brakes...just get better rotors, and pads.

Looking for slotted rotors, not drilled rotors.

Was looking at ecb yellow stuff or maybe the red stuff..anyone running ecb pads?
I'm very happy with these Powerstop, I used to replace all my brakes prematurely:
Part NumberPart TypePrice EACore EAQuantityTotal
2018 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4
POWER STOP​
Z231623 (Z23-1623)Brake Pad
$ 36.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 36.79​
POWER STOP​
Z231846 (Z23-1846)Brake Pad
$ 33.79​
$ 0.00​