CX-5 Brake lights

Wow, great info guys. I think you nailed it. I couldn’t find anything about this in my manual or online. I appreciate all the input.

A third, high center mounted brake light (that only lights when you depress the brake pedal, or gets significantly brighter) has been mandatory on US passenger vehicles for ages now.

I don’t understand people saying they aren’t designed to be functional, no matter which model year or trim you have.

“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) repeated Voevodsky's experiment on a larger scale, and concluded that center high mounted stop lamps, as the government calls them, reduce accidents and injuries. As a result, in 1986, NHTSA began requiring all new cars to have a third brake light.”

Last edited:
A third, high center mounted brake light (that only lights when you depress the brake pedal, or gets significantly brighter) has been mandatory on US passenger vehicles for ages now.

I don’t understand people saying they aren’t designed to be functional, no matter which model year or trim you have.

Because we are not talking (in this thread) about the CHMSL. We are discussing the inner reflectors/lights that match the rear light clusters, but mounted on the hatch.

Latest posts

Back