2014 CX-5 Back area creaking noise solution

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
Hey there folks,

So It's now been a year and a half since I got my 2014 CX-5 and having had some small issues with the lift gate area creaking noises and noticing some of you also have these issues, I thought I'd write a post with the different solutions on what caused mine and what I did to fix them.

-- The rear spoiler --

This was the first one I had. It made a creaking noise at every bump or crack on the road. Turns out, there already was a post here about this problem. All I had to do is remove the two rubber caps at the top of the lift gate to access the spoiler bolts. One of them was loose and one was missing altogether. These are 10mm nuts available at any hardware store.

-- Liftgate panels --

Recently, the two panels at the bottom of the liftgate which allows access to the rear lights plugs were also loose. Removed them, put some camera tape next to the clips and put them back.

-- Spoiler inserts --

Lately, these were causing the main problem. The two plastic inserts were rattling almost all the time and I could feel them being loose even by tapping on the bottom side of them with my finger. These is a very low-fi scrappy solution as I didn't want to pry them off and risking breaking something so I wedged a piece of dark grey foam/rubber between the inserts and the car's body. No problem since then and now the area is as quiet as new.

Some of you more talented manually will surely come up with more permanent and better solutions but at least I thought this would give you some pointers as to what is causing the noises in yours.

Hope that helps.

Take care

Attachments

• Photo 2020-11-13 14 44 41.jpg
    Photo 2020-11-13 14 44 41.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Photo 2020-11-13 14 44 54.jpg
    Photo 2020-11-13 14 44 54.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 340

-- The rear spoiler --

This was the first one I had. It made a creaking noise at every bump or crack on the road. Turns out, there already was a post here about this problem. All I had to do is remove the two rubber caps at the top of the lift gate to access the spoiler bolts. One of them was loose and one was missing altogether. These are 10mm nuts available at any hardware store.
There're 4 nuts for rear roof-top spoiler.

BDF198B5-82FF-4928-9F4C-3F0BF2AC7DC0.gif

Didn't have to access the two other nuts in my case to resolve the problem.

And to access the top ones, you need to remove the lift gate plastic trimming completely
Yes, but the center two could be loose too if the outside 2 nuts are loose.

Thanks, guys. Just bought a used 2016 and had this exact issue, had one loose inner spoiler bolt that just needed to be tightened. Fixed it!

Back