CX-5 AWD Rear Diff Breather

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
From this thread... I bought a spare plug

Not sure exactly when this opens up. I applied vacuum to both sides with hand pump. Only up to about 30 pounds. I also applied heat from my SMD Rework station and that didn't do it either. Either defective, more pressure or heat needed.

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

I need to remove the cap piece anyway so will cut that part off in short order. It has a crimp point on each side and cap freely swivels around

From this thread... I bought a spare plug
Not sure exactly when this opens up. I applied vacuum to both sides with hand pump. Only up to about 30 pounds. I also applied heat from my SMD Rework station and that didn't do it either. Either defective, more pressure or heat needed.
If this is one-way check valve going out from inside of rear differential as I thought, can you apply pressure to "push" open the valve from the hole of the threaded side?

I will try applying pressure as well. My limited test was with a vacuum pump from both inlets.

Here it is torn apart. If I had applied pressure it would have opened.

This should be relatively easy to put a longer tube on this.

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6141.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

So it's basically a one-way check valve coming out... With that round rubber washer, the water is not supposed to go into the rear differential.

Yeah.. really not sure how any measurable amount of water would get past that unless it was defective.

Yeah.. really not sure how any measurable amount of water would get past that unless it was defective.
It a simple one-way check valve and it's almost no way to become defective... :)

Maybe if rubber in valve was exposed to high doses of ozone and broke down? ... not likely though...

Wow that is a really simple design. I guess its possible the rubber washer could distort in a way that it doesn't seal properly. Or maybe if driven under dusty conditions dirt and debris can get stuck and compromise the seal. Can you tell me the diameter and thread pitch? There is a McMaster Carr warehouse not too far from me, I might be able to find something for you AWD guys.

There must be next to no breathing taking place or it would leave it in a serious vacuum on a cold night.

Interesting! I wonder exactly how the breather on the other side is configured!
In Unobtainium's issue where his diff filled with water and this small check valve only opening when internal pressure is generated, (like when being used hard/ heat build up??) did his stick open allowing water in?
Was the other hose possibly unplugged from the diff?

Guess I need to cralw under the car and verify correct routing and possibly move the one way valve (lengthen).

There must be next to no breathing taking place or it would leave it in a serious vacuum on a cold night.

I was looking at the diagram from the other thread and there are two breathers. One must be for "intake" and the other is "exhaust"

Wow that is a really simple design. I guess its possible the rubber washer could distort in a way that it doesn't seal properly. Or maybe if driven under dusty conditions dirt and debris can get stuck and compromise the seal. Can you tell me the diameter and thread pitch? There is a McMaster Carr warehouse not too far from me, I might be able to find something for you AWD guys.

I had do a carb cleaning with air compressor on my Honda mower and some fixit soldering on another project today. I'll try to get those measurements tomorrow.

I was looking at the diagram from the other thread and there are two breathers. One must be for "intake" and the other is "exhaust"
Yeap, this one-way check valve mounted on top of the rear differential casing is the "exhaust". The "intake" is at the side and a bit lower with a very long vent hose routed to upper rear bumper area.

Back