CX-5 as camping vehicle for a tall person?

I'm looking for a vehicle that could accommodate a 6'1" sleeper on the passenger side. The idea is, I would probably build a platform to make a flat, level surface with storage space underneath. This is for one person.

The platform would be on the passenger side. As needed, the front seat would fold forward, fold down, recline, or do whatever it could do, ideally to let this platform unfold, so as to run all the way from the rear end to the dashboard.

If it doesn't work that way, then I guess the platform would just go to the back of the front passenger seat, leaned and slid forward as far as it can go. Not looking for diagonal measurements. Diagonal consumes too much space.

I'm looking particularly at the CX-5 2018 Touring. I haven't been able to find good measurements of length. I'm not sure exactly how much space to allow, but maybe 72-75" would be a minimum.

I love the CX-5, but I think it is the wrong vehicle for the type of in-vehicle camping you plan to do.
- The interior is tighter/more cramped than competitors.
- And while extremely nice, the materials won't hold up to the wear it will receive.

As much as it pains me to say, I'd probably buy a Rav-4 or a CRV for what you plan to do.

I think the length could work but is there enough cabin height for a platform with storage?

I bought some of this and cut a piece to cover the entire rear and cargo area with the seats down.

I use a small piece of thin plywood to extend from the seatback forward. It slides out from under the mattress which gives it support.

The link doesn't show the selection but I got a 108 x 48 " charcoal.

I've seen several webpages and videos where people build low platforms, in various kinds of vehicles, to level out bumps where the seats fold down, and to provide the kind of extension you mention. They slide out plywood, as you describe, or they flip a hinged piece forward, to move up into the space ahead of the rear seats, where the front seat is slid forward.

Usually these platforms are just high enough to accommodate a layer of low-height storage containers, or maybe drawers or a table surface that slides out from the rear hatch opening. But, I don't know, maybe the CX-5 does not even have enough height for that?

If you have access and time, I'd be interested in both measurements. My browsing and the other answers here seem to suggest that I'd have a problem with length. I'd probably need at least 72" to make it work.

I have the 16 Sport. It has slightly different rear seats.
I think the dimensions are similar. I think 6'1" is probably ok if you slide the front seats forward. I don't slide mine all the way.

I measured from the folded seat back to the ceiling; best height is in the center of the vehicle and about 34".

The length as measured with the front seat full forward; from the seatback hinge to the center of the rear hatch is about 80".

Well above 72", then. I assume it would be a few inches shorter at its shortest (i.e., along the passenger-side wall), but it sounds like it should be adequate. By "full forward," I think you mean slid forward but not leaned forward. In some cars, one comes at the expense of the other -- you can't lean the seat as far forward if it is already slid up to near the dashboard.

As I think of it, I wonder whether the front passenger seat reclines back flat. If it does, a person might be able to build a platform whose front piece would slide above it all the way to the dashboard. It doesn't sound like I'd need that extra space, but in my browsing I've seen questions posted by people who are 6'3" and taller, wanting to know if they can sleep in a Cooper Mini or whatnot.

I slid the seat forward, then leaned it forward and measured at the base where it is hinged. I always need to have the seat forward to camp in it.

The sides are probably 4-5 inches shorter compared to the center.

If I thought it was necessary to have a plywood platform I would use a thin type.
I use 1/8" for the small section between the seats.

Back