CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

The laggy maps could no question be your LG Fiesta! That';s the name of your phone. And I simply cannot type Fiesta! without an exclamation point. Fun name for a phone. :D the Fiesta! is a midrange phone and is now 3-4 years old so yea, your Google Maps lag and drops could be totally because of that. You don't need a Premium Samsung, a Premium LG would do, too. :D

There is no Speeding info in Google Maps. Thankfully. I'd prefer Google now know that about me. Amazon musics issue is Amazon, not Google or Mazda. Amazon and Google are at war and they don't play nice together.

Yup, this phone is quite the party! It works fine on its own (handheld mode) Google maps runs seemingly without lag. In AA it wasn't a smooth experience. The Amazon music issue is big to me and might push me to explore Google Music more.
I'll be testing with Waze tonight and see if that is better.
All in all from reading other forums, where AA really pays off is its voice commands, so ill work on using those more often.
Thanks for the info, maybe a good excuse to finally upgrade from this phone if I find more usefulness within AA itself.

I used Waze last night and prefer it over Google Maps while in AA mode. No lag and ran fine. The one annoyance was in the upper left hand side Waze displayed a small task bar type icon which covers the remaining mileage to destination. Also nice to see I can add an alert to other drivers about police or road debris, same function Waze has in handheld mode.

Using the voice commands to send a full text message back to my wife was a huge plus. (Compared to the Mazda Connect pre-defined text message responses)

Does anyone have the touch screen functionality working with Android Auto apps? I tried mine with Google maps and no response. (Yes, I do have the MazdaAIO hack to enable touch use while driving.)

I'd be interested to know if it works with Waze (I do not use Waze currently)

I used Waze last night and prefer it over Google Maps while in AA mode. No lag and ran fine. The one annoyance was in the upper left hand side Waze displayed a small task bar type icon which covers the remaining mileage to destination. Also nice to see I can add an alert to other drivers about police or road debris, same function Waze has in handheld mode.

Using the voice commands to send a full text message back to my wife was a huge plus. (Compared to the Mazda Connect pre-defined text message responses)
It just started doing this in the last several weeks. Must have been a Waze update issue.

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Brand new to the forum. I bought a 2019 CX-5 signature yesterday and am trying to get everything figured out. Is there a way for Google maps or Waze directions to appear through the heads up display? Or only Mazdas terrible Nav?

hmmm, anyone else notice that the Waze 'box' that is usually on the far left side of the screen seems to have migraged over a bit closer to the center? It's subtle but now it covers more of the map / route.
wasn't sure if this was a Waze issue or AA.
I even upgraded to the newest version of AA this morning and it did not resolve it.

hmmm, anyone else notice that the Waze 'box' that is usually on the far left side of the screen seems to have migraged over a bit closer to the center? It's subtle but now it covers more of the map / route.
wasn't sure if this was a Waze issue or AA.
I even upgraded to the newest version of AA this morning and it did not resolve it.
I saw this article the other day and I think it's what you are referring to.

Android Auto has a setting for "Show Group Message Notifications" - Perhaps yours is toggled off.

Hi MountainCruzin,

Sorry for the delayed response. The "show group message" notifications is set to "ON". However I do not get group (MMS) notifications. Version 5.0.500224-release of AA. Can anyone else confirm they get MMS messages on AA?

Last edited:
Seriously considering having the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay hub update installed on my 16.5 CX-5. Local dealer has a nice price with a 10% labor/parts (so about $400). Is the consensus that this is worth having done? I like the idea of using AA. What this seems to be missing yet is being able to connect your Android mobile wirelessly (Mazda's software hasn't had this update yet as I understand it). Otherwise, it sounds like everything works well and you can use the shortcuts on the steering wheel to access all the AA functions (even create or reply to txt with voice)?

Last edited:
Pretty sure the standard price is $399. So @ 10% off you should be paying $360.
But yes, it is worth it. Not to even mention for resale.

It's $442 total and then 10% (so about $400 - according to the Service Dept). Another location was $528. The location with the better price needs the car all day and the higher priced location says about 2.5 hours.

Do the controls on the steering wheel work through AA? Can you send/reply to texts via voice?

Of course!
The official price was $399. Some have paid more but it's supposed to be $399.
Someone shared the announcement paperwork here direct from Mazda. So they mark it up to give you a 'discount'. Sketchy. Although not as sketch as $528!

So the steering wheel controls work and texting is now by voice via AA. That's awesome! Buddy of mine has a Ram 1500 has been doing this since he bought it in '15 or so.

Yea. I don't love how texting works on the receiving end though. You will get a audio notification and a toast message will pop up for like 10 seconds. Then you have to press the voice button: Read me my messages. And then it will and you can reply. I often miss them.
The voice button actually being useful is probably my favorite thing about AA.

Worked much better on my old Motorola.

Thanks for that 7eregrine.

Being in IT and tech for many years I'm a details guy. Nice to know these things.

Curious...do you see album art for XM stations? I've done some Googling and finding mixed results. Looking at '16 model and later. One guy mentioned once he updated his hub he was seeing it on a '16.5 model. The guy doing Mazda AIO says that v70 has a lot more XM related code so we thought maybe I'd see the album art on XM stations but I'm not after updating to 70.00.100.

Last edited:
Also in IT and it actually escapes me at the moment what comes up when listening to Satellite.
I'll report back.

Reporting back.

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_154738.jpg
    IMG_20200304_154738.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 334
Back