CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

So I have a 2014 CX-5 Sport, which isn't eligible for the OEM Mazda Carplay upgrade thing. I'm looking at aftermarket head units to get Carplay and I'd like to also replace one of the USB ports either in the console or the bottom dash to be able to plug in and do that.

Any recommendations on setups that worked well for you guys in the same boat as me?

My headline is: Pixel 4a + 2018 CX-5, Android Auto stopped working today. Is Android 11 to blame?

UPDATE: After much try this-try that, it works now, so Android 11 blame is only that it may have changed some settings. Sorry that I can't give you a step by step because there were so many things I tried, changed, etc. Only things that stuck with me were: 1) make sure the USB setting on the phone is "File Transfer/Android Auto". You can change this by tapping on the little "charging" notification that pops up when you first plug in to car USB. 2) I did go through an un-install, reinstall and paging through new setup screens, as had been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. 3) I did have to go to Mazda Connect Settings, "Device" tab and checkmark the box for Android Auto. That only worked after I did #1 and #2 above.

(old post below)

My Pixel 4a is only a week old, and this past week Android Auto was working fine cabled to 2018 CX-5. I updated the Pixel to Android 11 today, now AA no longer launches on the car display when I plug in the cable. I tried my old Samsung S8, and it works fine.

On the Settings - Device tab in the stock Mazda Connect, the Pixel has only Bluetooth active, while the Samsung has both Bluetooth and a checkmark on Android Auto. Don't know if it is relevant, but the Pixel does connect to the Mazda via Bluetooth for phone and audio.

Since it was working yesterday and broken today, I suspect Android 11. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm headed to the dealer for routine service later this week, will update if I get any new info. Also, I ordered the USB 3.1 Gen2 cable that someone suggested a while back.

Last edited:
does anyone know how to get quick charge (Qualcomm) and android auto to work at the same time? I read something about maybe using a hub to connect the 2 USB ports in the console then connect your phone to the hub to get data passthrough, but I wasn't sure which hub to get or if it would quick charge

No that would not work. You can't do it. The magic of quick charge is built into the plug itself.

@hiberto as @7eregrine mention you will NOT be getting the new Qualcomm quick charge standard out of your 2019 with out SIGNIFICANT modifications. The Qualcomm quick charge is 6A / 36W of power and simply the 2019 USB ports will NOT supply this by default.

Could you if you felt so inclined modify the plug? Sure.

I'd envision gutting a device like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

and then hooking up the data connections from the car.

good luck!

You cannot splice a QC charger & cable along with the headunit data cable. The USB data lines are used by the phone to communicate with the charger (for charge voltage changes) and so cannot be used for data as well.

If your phone supports QC wireless charging, though, you may be able to use a QC wireless charger along with the head unit data cable. Some folks have DIY'd a wireless charger into the cubby at the front of the console/tunnel, so that's an option.

More info on QC:
USB power source identification and control

To explain, let's first go back to the basics.

Most of the communication between a portable device (PD) and a USB power source relies on the D+ and D- lines of the USB connection. Of course those USB data lines were not designed for signalling but for data transmission in a differential way: D- going down when D+ goes up (and conversely) and the receiving device subtracting D- from D+, so that if noise or spurious peaks happen during the transfer, they appear on both lines and the subtraction cancels them. But as a charger does not use the data lines, several standards or proprietary protocols were designed using those wires in a primitive way to identify the source or control it.

The first convention is that a charger starts with D+ and D- connected together (shorted), which is incompatible with the differential mode, and can thus be detected. If a PD is QC-compliant, it will set a voltage of around 0.6V on D+ for around 1.25s. If the USB power source is also QC-compliant, it will detect that voltage, remove the short between D+ and D- and connect a 20K pull-down between D- and GND. That is the QC handshake phase.

After that, the USB power source will start monitoring the voltages on D+ and D- and will act according to the detected levels.

Hey everyone! My cousin just moved and her and her boyfriend got a 2020 CX5 base model. Where do I find the firmware needed to get her Carplay? Is there anything specific I need to know and/or do? Any other updates needed in the system first? I already found the hardware to order...

Thanks!

Hey everyone! My cousin just moved and her and her boyfriend got a 2020 CX5 base model. Where do I find the firmware needed to get her Carplay? Is there anything specific I need to know and/or do? Any other updates needed in the system first? I already found the hardware to order...

Thanks!
You want to start here:
First go into the WEBSITE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS folder, download that PDF, then review it and make sure you understand it before you attempt stuff with your car.
You'll be looking in the MAZDA CONNECT Firmware folder for your files. There's even a subfolder with videos on how to dismantle the dash and hook it up.

first post here thanks for all the work on this.

i did this update over Christmas as a gift for my daughter in her 2017 cx5 Grand Touring. Currently on .335 NA N

it worked awesome for weeks. Then she started telling me it was behaving “odd” would dial the phone randomly (iPhone) it would scroll her contacts. Sometimes music would play and pause automatically. We swapped cables and she thought it was better. Then she told me today it has become so erratic she’s quit using it but will still sometimes change radio stations and today backup camera didn’t come on. She’s 2hrs away so I can’t see it for a few weeks but looking for options, loose cable? Bad phone cable? saw there is now a. 367 update made me think maybe it was a firmware issue.

Thoughts?

Curious....I've been seeing an issue lately with text messages. Not 100% but I believe it's only occurring when connected via BT. I'll get a txt msg and I'll see what looks like a text from another person but it fails. I get the option of Ignore/Retry from Mazda Infotainment. If I look at my phone I see nothing of this failed text at all. I'm running 70.00.352 with the hub upgrade. The only think I can thing of is an update to Google (but I'm not connected via cable and using Android Auto). Don't think I've had a recent enough update the AA to explain this but again connected via BT. I do see an AA icon in the notification bar as well even when connected via BT.

Anyone else seen this?

First, I'd like to say that I suspect it's more like an iphone problem rather than carplay but I told myself it doesn't hurt to ask. I have an iphone, few days ago I upgraded to their latest ios 14.3 and now the car doesn't find the phone when I connect it through the usb port and carplay doesn't work anymore. Anybody else with this issue?

I'd probably restart Mazda Connect (hold back+mute+nav for 10 seconds), restart the iPhone, and forget the car under settings on the iPhone. Then try it again.

Lately I've been having connectivity problems with CarPlay. One thing happens where I plug in the phone and CarPlay doesn't activate. Another is Spotify resumes but no audio. Various glitches lately. Is there a Mazda infotainment update?

Lately I've been having connectivity problems with CarPlay. One thing happens where I plug in the phone and CarPlay doesn't activate. Another is Spotify resumes but no audio. Various glitches lately. Is there a Mazda infotainment update?
What version of Mazda Infotainment are you running?

Try removing your phone from the Mazda system (then reboot it or shut off car/turn back on) and delete the car from your iPhone (then reboot it or shut off/turn back on) and then setup the BT connection between them again.

If it is CarPlay having issues, restart the phone. Certain apps are not nearly as good as others. The amazon Musc app for example, has lots of issues and only a hard reboot of the phone fixes it.

Does anyone know of a way to get the Alexa app to come up for AA? Thought it may be handy to tell Alexa (from the button on the steering while like the other AA apps) to turn on the lights while driving home at night.

A) Not available yet in AA.
B) It wouldn't be able to turn your lights on.

That's correct Sig cx-5. I could have been more clear though. I can see how that comes off as asking Alexa to turn on the car's lights. But yes, I meant for it to turn on lights that are set up with Alexa at home.

Latest posts

Back