CX-5 Accessory must haves?

These floor mats?
https://www.westinautomotive.com/profile-floor-liners/2017/mazda/cx-5

post some pictures with them installed if you can. I am curious how the "flexible, durable, and odorless rubberized polymer" feels under your foot.

The odorless part is... a bit of a misnomer. They definitely smell like rubber mats, but it's been fading over the past few days, so I assume it'll be another few days. And honestly, it's not an obnoxious smell, but it's there.

Anyway, they're comfortable, both with shoes and bare feet. A little shinier than expected, but for the price ($66 for the front and rears & $59 for the cargo area + shipping - I have a 5% off code if you want it - I literally got it in two days, $167 shipped, including a new set of front and rear wiper blades in my order).

I am quite happy. My only complaint, and it's a really minor one, is that the rear cargo part doesn't cover the storage cubbies in the corner, but really, it's such a minor detail that I don't care, especially for the price.

And pics:

Attachments

• IMG_6886.jpg
    IMG_6886.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_6887.jpg
    IMG_6887.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 345

I am quite happy. My only complaint, and it's a really minor one, is that the rear cargo part doesn't cover the storage cubbies in the corner, but really, it's such a minor detail that I don't care, especially for the price.
It turns out the WeatherTech Mazda cargo mat for the Gen 1 CX5 was like this. It turned out to be very useful because we always used the cubbies for something, including bottles of wine from Costco, a liter of cooking oil or small packages. The new WeatherTech covers the little cubbies and that is annoying. Also annoying is the little cubbies are not as deep as on the Gen 1 CX5, therefore not so good for holding bottles, eve if it were accessible, and what do you do with the little triangular covers.

The Gen 2 OEM Matt has a fold up seam, so you can fold a triangular portion of the mat up for access.

Of note, both the Gen 2 OEM mat and the Gen 2 WeatherTech have little cutouts for access to the cargo hooks.

But for $66 yours look great and worth it.

It turns out the WeatherTech Mazda cargo mat for the Gen 1 CX5 was like this. It turned out to be very useful because we always used the cubbies for something, including bottles of wine from Costco, a liter of cooking oil or small packages. The new WeatherTech covers the little cubbies and that is annoying. Also annoying is the little cubbies are not as deep as on the Gen 1 CX5, therefore not so good for holding bottles, eve if it were accessible, and what do you do with the little triangular covers.
Our cubbies hide the wheel lock key, and a single 10mm wrench (since I alway seem to lose them)

Our Mazda OEM rear rubber mat also covers the cubbies, but has a fold line that allows you to fold up the hard cubby-cover, along with the mat 'corner', and store tall things like bottles etc there in the cubby. The mat puts some pressure against whatever you then put in the cubby and stops it rattling around. I'm sure it was just serendipitous, but it ends up being a very useful design :)

Didn’t think of the accessories when I bought a new car.
Picking this up this week...2021 Mazda CX-5 GT PP

Ordered these (in bold), updates (in italics):

VIOFO Dash Cam (A129 Plus Duo)

What a PITA to run the wire to the back window, the side SRS btw the front and back was tough, but running the wire through the rubber connector from inside roof to back window I just could not do it such a tight fit with wires running through it already (I only tried the right one)

2 VIOFO Circular Polarizing Lens CPL Filter

SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card

VIOFO HK3 Acc 3-Wire Hardwire Cable

2 ATM Add-A-Circuit KIT, to run parking mode

Beerte Phone Holder fit for Mazda CX-5 -

fit perfectly over the hazard button and snapped into place, but not a good fit for an otterbox

3D Maxpider Kagu Cargo Liner

Wow these floor mats are so much better then the weather tech floor lines I have in my other 2 cars

MFi Certified iPhone Charger 6ft USB Cable​

Last edited:
Yep Mazda OEM, discussed in depth previously..

Mazda premium all weather front (Canadian)00VP-CX-5FL1-0GEN2https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Mazda premium all weather rear (Canadian)00VP-CX-5FL2-0GEN2https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

the none Mazda logo / branded

3D MAXpider front & rear L1MZ05801509GEN2https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
3D MAXpider front L1MZ05811509GEN2
3D MAXpider rear L1MZ05821509GEN2
3D MAXpider cargo M1MZ0581309GEN2https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

this and MUCH more in the knowledge sharing resource document
Finally got my set of 3D MAXpider mats. I love them.

So, you got the one from Mazda that is soft and sort of shapeless, and attached that first, and then added a fitted all weather mat on top of that for the floor? I have a German shepherd that sheds a lot, still trying to figure out the best arrangement. I hate vacuuming dog hairs off the original carpet mat!
Yes sir. That is exactly what I did. The soft one clips to the head rests and allows full functional movement of the rear seats. The heavy rubber one sits on top to contain all the messes. I keep the flap of the soft one exposed to fold down when the dogs are jumping in.

Not really exclusive to this vehicle, but I highly recommend a dash cam at this point. I found a Yi for $30 on special and am very glad I bought it. Still think the floor mats and the roof rack are major must haves, but the dash cam has provided both a lot of entertainment and evidence as needed for the local PD.

I highly recommend a dash cam at this point.
As cars have alot of the hardware built in [reversing cameras - my CX-5 SIG also has forward/side], wouldn't it be easy[ish] for manufacturer to allow these to be (optionally) recorded (when ignition on) to a SD-card(or similar)?

As cars have alot of the hardware built in [reversing cameras - my CX-5 SIG also has forward/side], wouldn't it be easy[ish] for manufacturer to allow these to be (optionally) recorded (when ignition on) to a SD-card(or similar)?

Yes. One well known manufacture already does this exact thing.
Tesla
They even record while not in motion.
Thanks CX5_Driver
The Tesla sentry mode is along the lines I was asking for (especially for external damage when parked)...but they then partially lose it by maybe taking it too far
www.consumerreports.org/privacy/teslas-in-car-cameras-raise-privacy-concerns/

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should...

www.consumerreports.org/privacy/teslas-in-car-cameras-raise-privacy-concerns/

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should...

before straying too off topic.. the page title linked above definitely is click bait, because down in the article it clearly states:

"“....cabin camera”—is turned off by default. If drivers enable the cabin camera, Tesla says it will capture and share a video clip of the moments before a crash or automatic emergency braking (AEB) activation to help the automaker “develop future safety features and software enhancements,”"

So this feature is off by default, if you the consumer decide to turn it on, Tesla then tells you what it does and how it does it.

then later the article says

"“Now, Tesla can use video footage to prove that a driver is distracted rather than addressing the reasons why the driver wasn’t paying attention in the first place.”"

ok .. yep just like the black box in your car already that records speed, braking, steering angles for the insurance companies / police investigations the moments before an accident.. just a newer technology.

I get it - privacy and convenience is a fine balance. It always humors me the same people who cry from the rooftops about "oh this company is using this technology in a manner I don't understand or skipped over in the owner's manual/ user agreement.." then carry an modern phone with precise GPS location enabled so the integrated virtual assistant can help them navigate traffic.

Been mentioned before by others, but I just picked these up at home depot and with some veclro tape, it sticks to the inside of the trunk to help with the awful lighting in the trunk lid. Between my standing in front of the trunk lid light, the black cargo mat, it can be had to see with old eyes!

In a pinch, you can stick it to metal with the built in magnets to help wit a tire change or something.

Stick up lights

To keep out of the way [& prevent winter stuff rolling around in back - especially after I 'test' the turbo ;)] e.g. a collapsible snow shovel/brush, can of de-icer fluid etc, I put these short cargo nets [have velcro on each end] over the triangular-ish cubbies at the back on each side [I took out the floor covers]. Came with strips to stick to car then the net velcro sticks to this strip [as can see on left] - on right the net velcro directly sticks to car carpet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

2021-04-03 14.49.47 - Copy.jpg

Back