CX-5 2019 GT Turbo oil filter model ?

Hi guys,

I am the new owner of a 2019 CX-5 GT Turbo and I am getting soon to the 8000 km maintenance (I am in Canada).

I know from the manual that the Oil should be 5W-30 Synthetic. The manual also states that it takes 4.8L when the filter is changed at the same time.
However, there is no information about the filter model needed.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. Does it really only take 4.8L or does it take more in real life (if so, I will plan ahead an buy more than 5L jug) ?
2. Which oil filter is the right one ? Obviously it's not the same model than for the non-turbo version. I am in Canada and none of automotive parts website are listing filters for the turbo version. Neither Napa, nor Canadian Tire or others. Even mazda parts websites can't find oil filters for the 2019 CX-5 turbo (I tried both GT Turbo and Signature). I know Mazda OEM filters are the best but I can't even find those on the internet since I can't find any part number by car model ! Can somebody help ?

I just went to a local dealership to buy the filters and crush washers. They ended up being priced about the same as online, and I didn't have to pay shipping or wait for them to be delivered.

Last edited:
What is the OEM part number for the turbo model that you got at the dealer? And how much ? (I guess you are in the U.S. though so the price might be very different from Canada)

I can't even find it online using the Car year and model. I can find it for the regular 2.5L but not for the 2.5L turbo. I can't check for the price online if I can't find the part number anywhere.
On the Filter Lookup of the WIX website, there is no filter for the 2.5 turbo, only for the regular 2.5L Doesn't look like there is a filter from Wix for the turbo model yet.

Last edited:
What is the OEM part number for the turbo model that you got at the dealer? And how much ? (I guess you are in the U.S. though so the price might be very different from Canada)

I can't even find it online using the Car year and model. I can find it for the regular 2.5L but not for the 2.5L turbo. I can't check for the price online if I can't find the part number anywhere.
On the Filter Lookup of the WIX website, there is no filter for the 2.5 turbo, only for the regular 2.5L Doesn't look like there is a filter from Wix for the turbo model yet.

I'm also in Canada.

No idea, I didn't need it. Just go to the dealership and buy them from the parts desk. They might have a few different kinds of filters. The cheapest is made in Mexico, then there's one made in Thailand, and another made in Japan. The ones I have came from Japan, but any of those filters are fine.

The 2.5 Turbo has been in the CX9 for a couple of years, try looking for a oil filter for a 2018 CX9...

Hi guys,

I am the new owner of a 2019 CX-5 GT Turbo and I am getting soon to the 8000 km maintenance (I am in Canada).

I know from the manual that the Oil should be 5W-30 Synthetic. The manual also states that it takes 4.8L when the filter is changed at the same time.
However, there is no information about the filter model needed.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. Does it really only take 4.8L or does it take more in real life (if so, I will plan ahead an buy more than 5L jug) ?
2. Which oil filter is the right one ? Obviously it's not the same model than for the non-turbo version. I am in Canada and none of automotive parts website are listing filters for the turbo version. Neither Napa, nor Canadian Tire or others. Even mazda parts websites can't find oil filters for the 2019 CX-5 turbo (I tried both GT Turbo and Signature). I know Mazda OEM filters are the best but I can't even find those on the internet since I can't find any part number by car model ! Can somebody help ?

1. Owner's manual says 5.1 US quarts / 4.8L for oil and filter change on SA-G 2.5T. And use 5W-30 GF-5 full synthetic oil. Of course the specs of oil change capacity is approximate and no one has reported what is the true volume of the oil needed. I'd get at least 5.6 quarts of fresh oil as ~5.3 quarts is the true oil change capacity with OEM oil filter instead of stated 4.8 quarts on SA-G 2.5L.

2. Like sm1ke had quoted, PY8W-14-302 is the OEM part number for SA-G 2.5T. And use 2018 CX-9 to search the OEM oil filter like GAXIBM suggested. Don't use after-market oil filter as they all use the same filter for Mazda 1.5/2.0L、SA-G 2.0/2.5L、and SA-G 2.5T although OEM features 3 different oil filters for each engine group!

I agree with yrwei52, my OEM aluminum washer doesn't look like that either (red arrow indicates uneven load spread from the smaller flange hex bolt), I'll stick with the larger flange allen bolt that came with the car

also, I ordered from Med Mazda the moly oil and oil filter and just received the package this morning,

I ordered it thru eBay: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

they sent me a made in Japan oil filter new part number PY8W-14-302

(I thought this was suppose to be outsourced to Thailand or Mexico now ?)

Packaging pictures below, oil filter look to be high quality made and sealed, is this oil filter correct ?

UPDATE, just heard back from Med Mazda, seems they sent out the wrong part by accident,

New message from: mazdapartsmedcenter Top Rated Seller(4,546Red Star)
No you should have received part number 1WPE-14-302. We will ship you the correct oil filter out today. Sorry for the trouble.
Thank you,

seems p/n PY8W-14-302 is for the new CX-9

I use Mobil 1 5-30 EP, exactly 5 quarts. The filter comes from my Mazda dealer and is the cx9 part number from Japan, as others have said previously.

I use Mobil 1 5-30 EP, exactly 5 quarts. The filter comes from my Mazda dealer and is the cx9 part number from Japan, as others have said previously.
The spec says 5.1 quarts. Would you mind to take the oil level measurement first thing in the morning? A picture would be great!

The spec says 5.1 quarts. Would you mind to take the oil level measurement first thing in the morning? A picture would be great!

I have about 1300mi on my oil change. I took them a 5quart jug of M1 EP 5/30. I will take a photo for you in a few minutes. It's been sitting for the last 7 hours in my garage.

Sat for 7 or so hours. Pulled the stick. Wiped it. Inserted it. Pulled it and took this for you. Thats oem filter and a 5 quart jug of m1 5-30EP about 1300ish miles ago.

24qv4sw.jpg

Sat for 7 or so hours. Pulled the stick. Wiped it. Inserted it. Pulled it and took this for you. Thats oem filter and a 5 quart jug of m1 5-30EP about 1300ish miles ago.

24qv4sw.jpg
Based on your experience, the true oil change capacity on SA-G 2.5T is SMALLER than SA-G NA 2.5L! We all aware 5 quarts of fresh oil can only make the oil level about ~ ⅓ quart below the Full mark on 2.5L.

This APPROXIMATE fluid capacity from official Mazda document really has too much variance among different Mazda models! Where is the precision of engineering from a car manufacture? (uhm)

Based on your experience, the true oil change capacity on SA-G 2.5T is SMALLER than SA-G NA 2.5L! We all aware 5 quarts of fresh oil can only make the oil level about ~ * quart below the Full mark on 2.5L.

This APPROXIMATE fluid capacity from official Mazda document really has too much variance among different Mazda models! Where is the precision of engineering from a car manufacture? (uhm)

Always made mine over-full.

Always made mine over-full.
So 2.5T should have a bit larger oil change capacity than 2.5L based on your experience.

Thanks for taking time to verify your oil level after the oil change with 5 quarts.

Last edited:
So 2.5T should have a bit larger oil change capacity than 2.5L based on your experience.

Thanks for taking time to varify your oil level after the oil change with 5 quarts.

I do not trust/believe dipsticks too much. I put 5 quarts in and call it good.

The manual on capacities usually have a qualifier call APPROXIMATELY. ED

Yes, this is out of hand, this thread, IMO. Way too much niggling over something that's likely just fine. These are vehicles meant to be owned by PEOPLE. People are stupid. Mazda would go out of business overnight if their fluid capacities on user-serviceable items would grenade vehicles if they were 0.25 quart off.

Back