CX-30 Towing Capacity and Hitch

Hi all.

I, too, am interested in a hitch setup for my bikes, nothing more. I've been digging for the past couple of weeks and zip, zero, nada, nothing... Yet.

I do have a feeling that the lawyers are involved, especially considering that the UK version, with the smaller engine as rborroto pointed out, is capable of and allowed to tow. Harrumph!

Hardler

Having an official tow capacity is probably a testing/legal thing, but having no hitches at all is probably Mazda's fault for not distributing schematics to manufacturers. Even if just to put bike racks hitches have other uses than just tow.

Last edited:
I've never towed anything with my cx5 but the cargo tray can be useful. Maybe better than the roof rack in some ways.

I wonder if the mounting holes are present in the chassis?. They should be threaded for the bolts. Otherwise you might have to drill holes and then fish nuts inside the "whatever" it is under there. Partly the bumper for maybe two bolts and two for the other part.

I mounted my own cx5 hitch and other than prying the rubber donut off the muffler it was really simple to mount the hitch.

They have YouTube's on the eTrailer web site showing how they mount them.
They have an example of an aftermarket hitch for a non-recommened vehicle look at 2010 Chevy Cobalt which requires drilling two holes.

I traded-in my CX5 at lease end and took the CX30. I had a 2016.5 CX5 and it did have drill outs for the hitch but I had to fish the screw plates into place as the holes were not threaded. Wasn't a big deal even with the CX5 on the ground rather than raised [too risky without a pair of jackstands or ramps].

The Bi-otch was getting the hitch in place. I had to remove all four of the muffler mounts, drop the muffler to what I felt was the maximum without doing any damage further up the exhaust. Then I had to get all the screw plates into place with the bolts inserted into them, lift and hold the entire hitch close enough into final position to allow me to thread a nut onto the bolt... rinse and repeat three more times then tighten everything properly.

Good thing I know the trick of dishsoap for the muffler mounts!

Hardler

PS: The hitch I bought was from Curt for the 2016.5 CX5. It fit perfectly.

I checked under the CX30 and saw, if I remember correctly, four holes near the muffler in the frame. In my mind, I remember thinking that they were way too close together. It is entirely possible that I missed something such as another set of drill-outs, or I am not quite as accurate in my recollection.

Must be getting old............

I think mine might be Curt...

The hitch is pretty heavy to hoist while you're lying upside down etc

I used things like blocks and boxes to support it by stacking them and gradually elevating the hitch.

I like the cx30 so I hope they come up with something. I don't know if the sales figures for the cx30 are high enough to support the development of an aftermarket hitch but maybe that will change.

I mounted a curt class 2 hitch on my CX-5 by myself.It's definitely easier with two people.It was quicker to remove the muffler from the pipe(2 bolts) after getting nowhere trying to wrestle the hitch in limited space.I raised the hitch with my floor jack and supported one end with a jackstand.

PS: The hitch I bought was from Curt for the 2016.5 CX5. It fit perfectly.

I checked under the CX30 and saw, if I remember correctly, four holes near the muffler in the frame. In my mind, I remember thinking that they were way too close together. It is entirely possible that I missed something such as another set of drill-outs, or I am not quite as accurate in my recollection.

Must be getting old............
If you have the time and inclination, maybe you can post several pictures of the undercarriage, where a hitch would go.

Hi rborroto... I just got your request for photos etc.. I'll photograph and post this weekend for you and the other thread participants.

BTW: I was again just digging into whether or not Mazda, or any other biz for that matter, has plans for making a towing system for the CX-30. I found their online PDF version of the "manual" and it clearly states:

"Trailer Towing
Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda."

If Mazda actually has allowed prepped the car for towing in the UK/EU, then I have to agree that the lawyers have gotten involved [I may have written this already] which is really really REALLY unfortunate. A vehicle that clearly has towing capabilities shouldn't be subject to the fear of lawsuits. I get that there are stoo-pid p[eople out there whoo will wnat to tow 5,000# of stuff...

Well, TS on them. People in the US need to understand that they are responsible for their actions. That stupid McCrackhead [McDonald's lawsuit with the coffee cup in the lap... Sheesh. That A-hole ruined life for everybody else. Sorry, I got sidetracked by a personal hot button...

Back to the subject at hand...

Because of the above BS, I ended up buying a roof rack system as the hitch mount was really only for a 2" hitch-mount bike rack. Talk about getting F-ed by the ba$tards [digression again].....

I was very fortunate in that I was able to get a two-bike roof-rack system for about $350 in dribs and drabs. $215 for the new OEM crossbars, $110 for two near-mint Yakima mounts and $15 for the new locks using my REI dividend. More than I wanted to spend [sometimes, I'm VERY cheap] but way better than brand new for everything which would have been about $500+. I can live with that.

AnyHoo... I'll get images and, if possible, measurements for you guys.

Thanks for putting up with my... above... Ehem. :rolleyes:;)

Hardler

The CX-30 is not designed to tow for the North American market. While a class I aftermarket hitch is currently available, you aren’t likely to ever see a class II hitch.

Where did you find a Class I hitch for the CX-30?

This is an European CX-30 with a tow hitch installed (called a "tow bar").
1589555077696.png

I saw this in a CX-30 group, and HERE is the link.

Hi everyone, while browsing I stumbled upon this and thought I should share. No idea if it's available outside Canada or how good it is, but it might be better than having custom hitches made.

Price most probably in CAD so 176$CAD would be about 130$USD.

I tried the Canadian website, but when I got to the checkout page, no American cities would populate. I emailed them and am awaiting answer. Funny thing is, I traded my '17 3 in simply to have more suspension capacity as it is virtually the same vehicle only higher. Argh.

Re the "no US" hitch this note is at the bottom of this page https://www.oris-automotive.com/towbars-for-new-cars/
A note for our US customers
ORIS towbars are only available in the US for installations as part of the specification of a new vehicle. At this time we do not offer a retrofit towbar in the US market
Oris state they are OEM suppliers to Audi BMW GM Mercedes Tesla Volvo VW.

In searching for a UK alternative to Mazda's original towbar I found two sites with links to pdf mechanical and electrical installation instructions. Here's one https://www.rameder.eu/auto-hak-tow...trical-set-7pins-specific-171775-39795-1.html . 2 downloads under installation instructions.

Having seen threads elsewhere about dash cams and being unable to find (switched / unswitched ???) fuses this 13pin electrical installations pdf https://www.rameder.eu/out/media/167986-39795-1-samples-v1.pdf shows (or claims) both are available in the footwell fuse box (page 19 of the pdf)

Back