CX-30 Towing Capacity and Hitch

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium
So far, no tow hitch is available for the CX-30. I have asked the dealership parts department, eTrailer, U-Haul, Curt, and DrawTite. I am looking to buy this vehicle to replace my CX-5, but not until a 1.25" hitch is available, because I currently transport a lightweight mobility e-trike on an aluminum carrier. The trike weights 60 lbs and the carrier weighs 30 lbs. for a total tongue weight of 90 lbs. Sometimes I transport my bicycle, but on a bike rack. Does anyone have an update on hitch availability?

Do they make one for the current Mazda3? That is the one that I would think might have the best chance of being cross-compatible with the CX-30?

Do they make one for the current Mazda3? That is the one that I would think might have the best chance of being cross-compatible with the CX-30?
I considered that and did find a compatible hitch for the 2020 Mazda 3 at eTrailer. Although the CX-30 is based on the Mazda 3 platform, I don’t know for sure if their chassis are identical in the hitch mounting area.

Maybe you can email them and volunteer to be a guinea pig if they allow you to return it if it doesn't fit

I would, if I owned a 30. However, I am considering one. I just went to the 30's digital online US manual and it says “Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.” SCARY! I currently drive a 2017 CX-5 and I installed a tow hitch from Curt shortly after I bought it (with the Mazda OEM trailer light interface). I use the hitch to either carry my road bike on a rack, an eTrike on an aluminum carrier, or tow my 13' Boston Whaler dingy (950 lbs total weight) to a nearby boat ramp. The 30 has the same engine as the CX-5 and weighs less. I wonder why it is not capable of towing ANYTHING!

Maybe the chassis isn't reinforced properly to pull a trailer. Maybe they didn't install mounting points like the cx5 has.

A bike rack or mount isn't towing so maybe you can adapt something.

I would, if I owned a 30. However, I am considering one. I just went to the 30's digital online US manual and it says “Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.” SCARY! I currently drive a 2017 CX-5 and I installed a tow hitch from Curt shortly after I bought it (with the Mazda OEM trailer light interface). I use the hitch to either carry my road bike on a rack, an eTrike on an aluminum carrier, or tow my 13' Boston Whaler dingy (950 lbs total weight) to a nearby boat ramp. The 30 has the same engine as the CX-5 and weighs less. I wonder why it is not capable of towing ANYTHING!
Here in Europe it's rates to pull 1300 kg, so it's capable enough. Why it's not allowed in the US I don't know.

Here in Europe it's rates to pull 1300 kg, so it's capable enough. Why it's not allowed in the US I don't know.
You are correct, and I doubt there is much of a difference between the European and USA versions when it comes to the chassis.

Maybe you can email them and volunteer to be a guinea pig if they allow you to return it if it doesn't fit
While at the U-Haul hitch website, and after I entered the CX-30 data, the page asked me if I wanted to take my vehicle in their Arizona facility for 2-3 days, they would custom make one for me for free, and use the information to manufacture them for others. Of course, this is only practical if you happen to live in Arizona.

Maybe the online manual isn't final. What counts is the manual with the car I guess.
Or someone could call Mazda. If they are serious about the no trailer warning it might complicate a warranty claim.

They have come out with hitches for other cars that didn't accommodate hitches by design. One I looked into required drilling 1/2 inch holes in the frame. I think Uhaul could handle that.

The cx5 has threaded holes ready to mount a hitch.
If the European cx30 has a hitch option maybe the holes are there.

The CX-30 is not designed to tow for the North American market. While a class I aftermarket hitch is currently available, you aren’t likely to ever see a class II hitch.

I know it’s rated to tow in other countries, but you have to remember that some other countries use different styles hitches/tow bars and also come with different powertrains. Sharing the same chassis/platform is just one factor.

If you’re looking to tow, this isn’t the vehicle for you. However, I do think using a hitch mounted bike rack for two bikes or a very light cargo carrier that doesn’t exceed 200lbs would be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for this helpful thread. I recently bought a cx-30 and would also be interested in an aftermarket hitch for a lightweight bike rack and bike. In fact our dealer said such a rack would be available but I confirmed and Mazda currently have no plans for a OEM hitch for a bike rack.

Joe Mama mentioned that a Class 1 hitch is currently available for the cx-30, does anyone have any links to this, I couldn't find any mentions of cx-30 hitch at the usual locations for aftermarket parts.

Thanks again for some great information on the forum.

Also looking for a hitch for a soon to be delivered CX-30, but I know neither Curt nor Draw-Tite have any, checking with a few places how much it would cost to have one custom-built.

I know it’s rated to tow in other countries, but you have to remember that some other countries use different styles hitches/tow bars and also come with different powertrains. Sharing the same chassis/platform is just one factor.

If you’re looking to tow, this isn’t the vehicle for you. However, I do think using a hitch mounted bike rack for two bikes or a very light cargo carrier that doesn’t exceed 200lbs would be fine.
In the UK the CX-30 has a 2.0L engine instead of the U.S. 2.5L. Its tow capacities on their website:
Towing limit, unbraked (kg) 600 kg
Towing limit, braked on 12% gradient 1300 kg

Awesome towing capacity from a smaller engine. The North American towing restriction may be the lawyers and not the vehicle itself.

Back