CX-3 is Being Dropped in 2022

That's unfortunate.
How many models does that leave Mazda with? Compared to what other makes are bringing out and have in their lineup, it doesn't give Mazda much of a competitive edge, if any.
It won't leave much for dealers to put in the showrooms either. They can downsize and still fit everything inside. Save money or real estate I guess. Sad really.

It is unfortunate, thanks for the heads up @AuraNova...Yeah, I'm not surprised either given that the sales don't seem very strong and then Mazda released the CX-30. That said, I loved the CX-3 when I first saw it, especially the mildly tuned concept version Mazda showed in Japan back in the day...

Kia runs a line-up of four SUVs / crossovers in the sub-compact to compact range when thinking about what might have been CX-3, CX-30, CX-5 and the upcoming CX-50. The thing about Kia is the styling of each is quite distinct. While many folks in an enthusiasts forum might not put styling high on the priority list many other buyers do.

There is little to distinguish the CX-3 and CX-30 in appearance or other attributes--maybe a couple of inches of second row leg room and couple of inches of cargo room. Sure, the CX-30 has a more powerful engine, but there's nothing to prevent more engine options in the CX-30. I can't think of an automaker that has two models in their lineup that is this similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife just took her CX-30 in for service and got a CX-3 as a loaner. I grabbed it for half an hour just because I'd never tried one before. It's actually a fun little car to drive, it reminded me of my days in the mid eighties owning a 87 Honda Si and then a 89 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo, the hot hatches of the time.

If you had one of these with a turbo, AWD and a stick it would have made for a great mini zoomer. I don't know if anyone would have bought one but it would have been a great car.

Then again, what do I know? They only sold 1800 of the Mirage Turbos in the states total despite the fact the buff books at the time loved it...

My wife just took her CX-30 in for service and got a CX-3 as a loaner. I grabbed it for half an hour just because I'd never tried one before. It's actually a fun little car to drive, it reminded me of my days in the mid eighties owning a 87 Honda Si and then a 89 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo, the hot hatches of the time.

If you had one of these with a turbo, AWD and a stick it would have made for a great mini zoomer. I don't know if anyone would have bought one but it would have been a great car.

Then again, what do I know? They only sold 1800 of the Mirage Turbos in the states total despite the fact the buff books at the time loved it...

Yeah, when we test drove one, I really liked driving it. Great handling and even with the 2.0, had enough pep to not feel terrible in the city. The big issue was that you could get a better equipped Mazda 3 for the same price.

Mazda Canada just announced that the CX-3 will be dropped for 2023. I expect the same will happen to the CX-5 in a couple of years as the CX-50 would logically replace it plus it's built in North America.

I think there is a lot of confusion with the CX-30 and CX-3. The CX-3 is super small, way smaller than the CX-30. The CX-3 was smaller than a Mazda 3, and more like a lifted Mazda 2 with AWD. Ultimately in Canada the CX-3 replaced the Mazda 2. I don’t think anybody is crossshopping a CX-3 with a CX-30.

So sizewise i would rank them like this. Mazda 2, CX-3, Mazda 3, CX-30.

Here's the official letter from Mazda Canada. GM also announced that the Trax and Encore will be dropped. If anyone wants small crossover with available AWD, there are still the Kona and HRV; everything else is bigger...

We bought our '16 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring FWD on the used lot in May of '16 with super low miles. It was a good deal and at the time it was solving the problem of my now wife needing a vehicle after totaling her Nissan.

Point being we didn't do a ton of research into the CX-3 prior and probably had we not gotten a good deal we would have ended up getting her the 3 Hatchback.

All that to say, I am not particularly sad to see the CX-3 going away. Ours is approaching 95k miles now and we'll keep it until it's dead.

Back