Custom Gears

utmorpheus

:
13 Mz2 Touring MTX
This is a partial 'enlighten me' and a 'searching for answers' post, but has anyone ever had a custom gear created? Is it even possible to have one made with a synchromesh transmission without changing far too many parts to make it cost effective? I ask because after reading the thread about the CS 4.3 R&P it got me thinking about the major downfalls to this car's drivetrain. It occurred to me, at least for autocross use, that the only real complaint I have about the car is the Grand Canyon sized gap between 1st and 2nd. After that the gears are not as poorly spaced, and work well enough. Problem being that every bloody Mazda2 has the same crap gear ratio, and I don't have the mechanical knowledge to see if the 2nd gear out of say, a Mazda3 2.0 LF-DE transmission is even compatible with ours. Either that, or does anyone have the technical documentation of these two transmissions to see if these gears may be compatible?

Based on what I have seen the closest member in the gearbox world in north america is teh 1.6 transmission from the 99-00 Mazda Protege but it would have to be confirmed.

-Derrick

same internals as the mazda 3 2004-2007

there are gear sets out there, but they are not cheap, and they are straight cut, so a bit loud

I care less about noise(f***ing AWR mount) than I do about making this car a non-lethargic econobox. 100hp is tolerable but the 1-2 shift pisses me off more than anything, especially coming from a 04' V6 Mazda6 and a 00' Miata. And short of a $3k engine build to handle 8k RPM, I don't see any other way of making this shift feel 'right'. So if I can get a gear set and make it feel more like the Miata's close ratio I'm all for it. I'd rather have THAT than a turbo to be completely honest, ESPECIALLY if it has a higher 5th gear to make highway cruising more enjoyable...but I'm not going to get too picky.

Have you been in a tuned car with the higher limiter. That makes the 1>2 a lot better. The way I see it they put longer gears in for economy, but 1st gear became to long to get going from a stop easily so they shortened it up a bit. It doesn't really bother me that much, but the tune definitely helped with the feel of it.

Have you been in a tuned car with the higher limiter. That makes the 1>2 a lot better. The way I see it they put longer gears in for economy, but 1st gear became to long to get going from a stop easily so they shortened it up a bit. It doesn't really bother me that much, but the tune definitely helped with the feel of it.

Pending the winter thaw. Car is stored until the salt is gone, but the bumped limiter worries me without the internals to handle it. I understand they tuned the car for economy, but I still don't feel pushing high RPM without at least upgraded valve springs is going to be a good idea especially when tuned to the limits.

our test mule (with cams) runs with a 8000 RPM limiter on stock springs. Does it make power that high? No, but it will allow you to get to the next cone without a shift

7300 is about perfect, above that on the stock cam and 2 things happen; the motor starts t gt a bit buzzy, and it completely runs out of steam. That said, at 7300 puts the 1-2 shift right at 4000 rpm which is ALOT better.

Want to test it? Put the car in 2nd gear at get to 4,000rpm, then stand on it. That's what every shift is like, quickens the car up quite a bit with just that.

our test mule (with cams) runs with a 8000 RPM limiter on stock springs. Does it make power that high? No, but it will allow you to get to the next cone without a shift

Custom grind or aftermarket bolt-in? If the latter, care to post/PM a link?

Found in my collection shorter gear set of 4th and 5th when I was organizing my transmission back ups :p

4th: 1.028 from 0.975
5th: 0.820 from 0.775

Don't even know from what box is the shorter 4th.

I also have 2x 4.388 FGRs spare

10580200_10204566487344981_7390964163052731524_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back