Creaking noise switching gears

Hi all,
I have a 2019 CX 5 sport and I notice that when I put the car in reverse with the brakes pressed I hear a creaking noise before I release the brakes. Same happens when I back up, switch to drive. Is this a normal noise to hear? It's been doing it for a couple of months and I just assumed it's moisture from sitting since I live in Florida and we have high humidity year round. I don't hear any noise when normal driving or braking, just when switching gears. Has any one else experienced this?

Thanks,
Matt

So I just went out to mess with it again. Pretty sure it's creep groan I am hearing. If I mash the brakes down when switching gears I don't hear anything.

I live in Florida and have a 2019 Sig with the same noise in reverse. Sounds like brakes are dragging. I had an oil change few weeks ago and asked them. Reason is exactly as you stated. Moisture from sitting. We are good to go.
STAY SAFE

same noise here, creaking …….. don't know if all cx5's do that, but
mine has had that noise since new...…… cx5 sport....

It hasn't gotten louder over the past year either, but still sounds
like another potential problem..

All of my Auto CX5's have done this "creep groan" (good description) slowly going backwards or forwards when lightly applying the brake when maneuvering. Normal brake performance otherwise. I do live in the U.K so usually damp/wet:(

Yes, our 2018 does the same thing. When going slow (forward or backwards) on and off the brake there is a creaking noise. To me it seems to be coming from the suspension. It is more noticeable now at 16K miles.

I purchased a used 2018 GT recently and it also makes the creak / groan noise. It's been raining a little where I live, but not all that much.

Is everyone here confident that this is a non issue? Just something that happens when it rains and we have to live with?

It could possibly be a very, very thin layer of rust that is being scraped off. Does it only make the noise after its been sitting for a day, or does it always make the noise when letting off the brakes? If the noise is consistent, I would probably try lubricating the caliper slide pins next.

It could possibly be a very, very thin layer of rust that is being scraped off. Does it only make the noise after its been sitting for a day, or does it always make the noise when letting off the brakes? If the noise is consistent, I would probably try lubricating the caliper slide pins next.
For my situation, the noise is heard without me even taking my foot off of the brake.

I keep my foot on the brake, shift from R to N or N to D and there is about a one second delay before the noise is heard.

Yesterday, we had light rain and happened after car sat for around 6-7 hours only

For my situation, the noise is heard without me even taking my foot off of the brake.

I keep my foot on the brake, shift from R to N or N to D and there is about a one second delay before the noise is heard.

Yesterday, we had light rain and happened after car sat for around 6-7 hours only

Is your foot firmly on the brake pedal and you hear the noise after shifting, even while at a dead stop? Or is the car moving?

Hmm mine actually makes the noise whether it’s been sitting for a day or whether I’m driving all day. It makes the noise from Park to reverse or drive to reverse. I do notice that the groan is at its loudest right after my carwash guy returns the car to me.

Is your foot firmly on the brake pedal and you hear the noise after shifting, even while at a dead stop? Or is the car moving?
Probably just medium firmness on the brake pedal.

For me, this happens when:
1. When I first start my car up to reverse out of my parking spot, so I am at a dead stop
2. Switch from reverse to drive to exit the parking garage. I come to a complete stop before shifting though

The noise is less loud (but I still hear it) after driving and when I am arriving back home and parking the vehicle.

The car is parked in an underground condo parking lot, where I assume it is less humid than parking it on the street

If you can hear the noise when the car is moving, I'd think the problem is something related to the brake components.

Apply firm brake pedal pressure, then shift from park or drive to reverse and back, all while maintaining firm pedal pressure. If you still hear the noise, I'm thinking it could be transmission-related (since none of the brake components would be moving).

I basically have to shove my foot down to step on the brake while changing from reverse to park and vice versa in order for the groaning to be absent.

There are various types of brake noise and many different conditions that can cause noise. This TSB from Mazda describes several different brake noises and tells dealers how to deal with brake noise problems.

TSB No.: 04-002/19 BRAKE NOISE, JUDDER AND DRAGGING DIAGNOSIS AND SERVICING

Groan Or Squeak Noise:
· If the noise is a groan or squeak while the brakes are applied, refinish the brake pads (providing they have adequate thickness) using sandpaper (grit #80) or replace the brake pads with new parts.

Back