2017~2024 CPO worth it?

IMO, to answer OP's question, I would say that no, a CPO does not make or break a CX-5 purchase. With that said, I can understand some people thinking that it does, mainly because the 2019 non-turbo comes with the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, and those people are wary about CD and problems that may be associated with it in the long term. As bluegrass said, if you happen to sell the car to a private party before the CPO warranty expires, it can add a bit of resale value to the car or make it more appealing to a buyer on the fence, but it isn't a major factor in my decision to buy. It's just a very tiny bonus that would only be realized in a rarer situation.

If I'm deciding between two cars that are exactly the same in every way (including price), but one has a CPO warranty and the other doesn't, I would probably get the one that comes with extra warranty. You'd be crazy not to. The reality is that no one car is exactly the same, and everyone's needs/priorities are not the same. In this case, the 2.5L with CD is a fairly new variation of the otherwise reliable 2.5L engine (CD was implemented on all 2018 non-turbo models in the US, and on some 2018 non-turbo trim levels in Canada). Because of that, I would opt for a CPO warranty just for peace of mind, if I planned on keeping the car for the next 7 years. That said, I personally would probably consider a non-CD 2017 or a 2019+ GT Reserve over a 2018-2019 NA w/ CPO.

You may also want to get more info on the CPO to ensure that you don't do anything to invalidate it. For example, some 3rd party warranties require that any services done to the vehicle must be done by the selling dealership. If you buy from a dealership that is an hour away, you would have to factor in the 2+ hours of travel time every time you need an oil or filter change, plus the inflated charges for services and parts for routine maintenance. A 3rd party warranty is not the same as a CPO - this is just an example to show how important it is to do your research and due diligence. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Mazda's CPO program.

An update: we managed to get a good discount on a 2020 CX-5 GT AWD. Very happy with it and the 2020 is a great choice given we only saw a few thousand difference compared to a 2019 model.

An update: we managed to get a good discount on a 2020 CX-5 GT AWD. Very happy with it and the 2020 is a great choice given we only saw a few thousand difference compared to a 2019 model.
Yes, IMO getting a new 2020 CX-5 instead of a CPO 2019 CX-5 is a better choice. Thanks for the update and congrats!

Back