Cost of major service for Protege5?

:
Protege 5
The dealer wants $800 to do the "major" service (90,000) on my 2003 Protege 5. Don't you think this is exorbitant and outrageous? Where can I get it done cheaper?

What is included in this service?

Regardless of what is included, you can probably take it to an independent shop instead. They will likely be able to perform the exact same services at a cheaper cost, because the indie shop's labour rate will be lower, and because the indie shop will likely use aftermarket parts instead of OEM parts.

Still, it would be helpful to know what is included, as you may be able to source the parts yourself and DIY using resources from here, YouTube, or other free online resources. Some examples are cabin and engine air filter replacement, fuel system "treatment", hinge lubrication, etc.

If that price includes a timing belt change, then its not too bad.

I was quoted $1,600 CAD for a timing belt change.

I did it myself for $400.

What is included in this service?

Regardless of what is included, you can probably take it to an independent shop instead. They will likely be able to perform the exact same services at a cheaper cost, because the indie shop's labour rate will be lower, and because the indie shop will likely use aftermarket parts instead of OEM parts.

Still, it would be helpful to know what is included, as you may be able to source the parts yourself and DIY using resources from here, YouTube, or other free online resources. Some examples are cabin and engine air filter replacement, fuel system "treatment", hinge lubrication, etc.
Here's what the dealer's pamphlet lists: oil & filter change, rotate & balance, transmission service, fuel injection service, cooling system service, full circle inspection. Since mine is a stick shift, "transmission service" means filling the clutch master cylinder with fluid and checking for leaks, right? And the other "services" are so nebulous that you don't even know what they're going to do. I'm going to go to an independent shop, as you recommend.

Transmission service probably means changing the gear oil.

I could do all the work that you listed myself for about $60 in supplies (except balancing my tires, but they generally don't go out of balance).

Latest posts

Back