Consumer reports 2019 just rated the Subaru Forester #1. What was the Cx5's ranking?

And Car & Driver rank the CX5 number 1, Forester 2 and Rav4 #3.
They call the Forester "boring and dull"....
They're will simply never be a best that everyone agrees on.

Mazda is deservedly a favorite brand at C & D with the Miata perennially landing in their 10 Best.
A lot of emphasis on fun to drive partially explains that connection. Reliability of brand doesn't hurt.
While Mazda has really dialed in their turbo, Hyundai still has work to do there.
Hyundai's 2.4L is in our Santa Fe and is the engine Consumer Reports likes while Car & Driver preferred the 2.0T.

A (sad) reason many people buy them is they feel safer. I've heard quite a few say that... or they want to... sit higher (mostly women). Seriously. We all know someone who's said that, right?

Both my wife and my mother have said that, lol. But at least my wife appreciates the difference in driving feel between the Mazda and everything else we test drove.

To be fair, I grew up driving high off the ground vehicles like Jeeps. It's what I am used to.

And it's not just older folks. I have long legs. Getting in and out of a lot of low to the ground cars is a pain in the ass. Really comes down to that, and ground clearance when I'm up in my old digs in the mountains.

And then there is AWD.

Cargo space cubic inches or feet or whatever means **** all to me unless you are regularly packing to the brim, which I have done twice in 6 years. Big whoop.

Honestly, top reasons I bought a CX-5? Has AWD, doesn't look like the old fogey mobile a CR-V does, and it handles nicely. Simplistic sophistication of driver centric driving engagement without the bulls*** over the top crap many other manufacturers are doing with buttons for everything and messy, busy dashboards.

Same story, here, plus its cheap to maintain and overall one of the more reliable brands Ive owned. The GTR I just got has decent acceleration as well, and the luxury level is legit. Except lack of remote start. Thats a sin.

It doesn't matter, if you watch Scotty Kilmer he'll tell you all the auto publications are full of crap and the only good car is a 1994 Toyota Celica.

But seriously I own a 2015 Subaru Outback and love it, and I like my Dad's CX-5 equally as much.

Scotty Kilmer he'll tell you all the auto publications are full of crap and the only good car is a 1994 Toyota Celica.

I seriously can't stand that guy. Shoulda heard the crap spewing out of his mouth about the "$2k used 'turbo CX-5's' always breaking down" before a turbo CX-5 was ever a thing.

I seriously can't stand that guy. Shoulda heard the crap spewing out of his mouth about the "$2k used 'turbo CX-5's' always breaking down" before a turbo CX-5 was ever a thing.

I'm sure he knows some stuff and is okay for very general advise, but for some reason people seem to take his word as gospel. Everything he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Like his brake line repair video using compression fittings. Any mechanic who isn't a hack will tell you compression fittings on brake lines is a big NO NO.

I'm sure he knows some stuff and is okay for very general advise, but for some reason people seem to take his word as gospel. Everything he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Like his brake line repair video using compression fittings. Any mechanic who isn't a hack will tell you compression fittings on brake lines is a big NO NO.

The crap spewing out of his mouth in one video he did was enough for me to not bother watching him. It's one thing to have general advice, it's another to pretend you know what you are talking about.

Look up his Skyactiv video. He says it's crap because of some way old pre-Skyactiv era Mazda some customer of his bought for $2k that was a piece of crap. No way it could have been a Skyactiv Mazda, but he very deceptively made it sound like it was. Very misleading to the average joe.

I have to say I shopped long and hard and the Subaru family was definitely in the hunt. I could not get past the 184 hp. You can only do so much with what you have and fill it up with people and luggage and it could only get worse. Went with the 2019 Signature and can't be happier. And again, coming from a Sienna (big) this thing is a piece of cake to drive.

I have to say I shopped long and hard and the Subaru family was definitely in the hunt. I could not get past the 184 hp.

I assume you are referring to a 184 hp Subaru, but as a Gen 1 CX-5 owner, you watch your mouth, good sir! :p

The crap spewing out of his mouth in one video he did was enough for me to not bother watching him. It's one thing to have general advice, it's another to pretend you know what you are talking about.

Look up his Skyactiv video. He says it's crap because of some way old pre-Skyactiv era Mazda some customer of his bought for $2k that was a piece of crap. No way it could have been a Skyactiv Mazda, but he very deceptively made it sound like it was. Very misleading to the average joe.

I haven't seen that one, but I saw one where he was saying Mazda CX-5s have the worst automatic transmissions which seems funny because IIRC they have the same AISIN automatics that his beloved Toyotas have.

Saw another one of his where he was saying you shouldn't buy a Subaru because of their CVT transmission which is hilarious because Subaru makes probably the best CVT transmission you can buy. They have been making them since 1987 and have been refining them ever since.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that one, but I saw one where he was saying Mazda CX-5s have the worst automatic transmissions which seems funny because IIRC they have the same AISIN automatics that his beloved Toyotas have.

Saw another one of his where he was saying you shouldn't buy a Subaru because of their CVT transmission which is hilarious because Subaru makes probably the best CVT transmission you can buy. They have been making them since 1987 and have been refining them ever since.

It's all about reliable data and statistics - something for which Consumer Reports is well known when coming up with recommendations. Scotty must be ignoring CR and relying on only his personal experience - something that is very data-limited.

Back