College Student First Car Build

Late update, but I've been slowly but surely getting the gauges wired in. I'm never doing it again lmao hoping to finish it up tonight after I get off work (depending on how tired I am) but I have somehow lost my coolant temp gauge. I need to get the exhaust pipe out of the car to have the wideband bung welded in, and I have to order a longer oil pressure sending unit cable. The one I have is a few feet too short. Simple but stuff I don't feel like dealing with. I have no clue where it is and I don't even know where to search. After the gauges are done (and I come out of retirement) I want to get the filled motor mounts in (thanks to 323), Split Second installed, the LEDs, and a few other small things.

I read somewhere that since it's electronic the resistance could change and give inaccurate readings. I looked into it already.

How is buying an extension any different than extending it yourself?

They both add resistance.

If you solder your connection you'll get the least resistance.

Long time no see, but I got the gauges in but a few issues.
  • Gauge bezel didn't come out the best looking but works so whatever
  • Oil temp and water temp gauges seem to fluctuate a little bit but seem accurate
  • Oil pressure gauge sending unit is not hooked up
  • Wideband is still not hooked up so I'm at a permanent 14.7 AFR lol
  • One of the A Pillar clips broke off, so it doesn't hang flush. Will address that soon cause it bothers me
  • Lastly, the biggest issue, I guess I used the wrong gauge dimmer hookup and they look permanently dim, so I will have to address that issue but I don't feel like it at all. I will try to get pics when I get off tomorrow

Well, just got home from day one of turboing the wagon. Got the oil pan off, exhaust off, coolant drained, coolant elbow off (took an hour by itself), and the front of the car lowered. Everything is going smooth.... too smooth almost (minus an end link needing to be cut). Time to get some zzzs, hit the store in the am and hopefully finish it tomorrow. Unofficially, everything in the pic with the parts is for sale. If anyone needs anything let me know.
s6qxVdr.jpg

Remember how you planned on installing gauges on November 18 of 2018? 😂

Long time no see yet again. Haven't fixed a single issue with the gauges lol I drove the car for the first time in a month Saturday to a little meet. I ended up overheating the ever-loving s*** out of my clutch after the meet taking a friend for a ride. Why? I did about 4 burnouts lol last one was burnout, shift to 2nd *pegged off the limiter instantly* 3rd same thing. Got back truly realized how much the clutch burnt. The car drove home fine, so hopefully a little more life left while I collect parts.

Now the tough part. Talking to @323 tonight and I might upgrade to the 2860 turbo. No point in gambling with another used turbo and I want to upgrade in the future anyway. So I might upgrade turbos, and of course a pope manifold. I got a new job doubling my salary and I'm gonna keep my old part time to afford more parts. so hopefully in the next few months, I can get some stuff done.

Also started tearing apart the engine @Dpwhitehead1 gave me and it looks amazing! Only one seized ring, but not using those so no worries. But question, does the oil pump have to come out in order to remove the crank?

Well unfortunately I came out one day to find out the MSP5 got hit and ran. The damage isn't bad, and it's on the bumper that already needs to be replaced, so that doesn't bother me. But the lip is damaged and the person didn't leave a note. I'm sure ith happened in the apartment complex but oh well. not too much damage.

2nd update, after talking to 323 way too much, I've decided to just upgrade the turbo. I'm going to run a CX 2860 for now. I have a spreadsheet with all the information, I figured its either $250 on questionable stock replacement, $540 plus lord knows how much labor to replace the chra, or $430 for cx racing. I started a way better job and I'm keeping the old one part time just for car bits, so hopefully, I can have new turbo and whatnot installed before the end of the year. but now I'm at a crossroads again, do I wrestle and try to get the s pipe off or just replace it with a pope DP? decisions decisions

JvFoKqX.jpg

ex1I55V.jpg

C5wf2gL.jpg

Go with the gtx2860r gen 2! Also the pope manifold although good, can be a pain in the ass to install..
The problem is there's no other replacement manifolds. Ebay is a no go, and a stock one is a bandaid... I've heard about the pope install, but ima pray it goes smoothly

Get to it. I might have a spare S pipe. I don't know anymore. Too many car parts for different cars laying around.

Upgrade.

Also a lot of that damage looks superficial and a good buff/claybar job could fix it.
Fortunately, it does look like its mostly surface damage. I'm going to look at it later or wait til i get to VA Beach again and run by BMW and get someone to look at it. Just the principle sucks

Back for my once a month update (and @323 said he was gonna ban me if I didn't start posting more LOL)

Me and the Mrs. managed to get the rona, which was interesting. Luckily it wasn't a bad case but was interesting. Life update, I got my bulls*** charges from January dropped which has remotivated me and has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders!

With that being said, I started installing my Split Second yesterday, I went through all the crimps, so I had to stop and run to the store. I'm also going to get some crimpers that have the crimpy part on the front, which might help in the tight spaces. This will be the 3rd ECU revision (Stock NA, MP3 ECU, MSP ECU, and now a piggyback on the MSP ECU). I've been in there a few times yet this is the first time the plate has cut me lol I was being lazy and didn't get my gloves thinking I should be good. I got everything so after work, I should be able to get that finished today.

I also found some mouse droppings under the carpet, I don't know if they've been there or not cause I've never been that deep in the ECU area. Usually in and out, so I need to pay attention to that. But I think they're old and nothing looks chewed up.

Back