Cold Air Intake / 2016-2019 CX-9, same engine bay?

:
South Florida
:
2016 GT
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the OEM air box (or mounting positions) changed between the 2016 and 2018+ models?

I have the 2016 FWD GT, and I’d love to get more blow off (BPV?) noise from the intake, however I’m worried about engine temps and water getting into the system as I live in hot 100+ degrees and rainy/hurricane prone South Florida. Anyone in hot climates use the Corksport short ram? Any problems?
I know corksport claims the SRI is far enough away that temperature is not an issue but I’m skeptical in extreme heat environments.

Has anyone tried these?: https://www.knfilters.com/69-6034ts...MIvOrNt8Op6QIVAobICh3D8QDdEAQYASABEgJk2vD_BwE
Or
good results?
They are only listed as compatible with 2018+. So did the engine bay or mounting points change from the 2016&2017models?

Thanks in advance and loving this community/forum thus far!

Everything should be the same. Mazda hasn't changed anything structurally and won't until there is a 3rd gen. Also everything in the 2018+ Mazda 6 engine bay is also the same. When Cork Sport was coming out with their SRI I took some measurements between my 2016 CX-9 and the 2018 Mazda 6 and everything is identical. I am not sure why AEM and K&N don't list 2016-2017 since they are the same.

After looking at a Mazda parts website for about 2 minutes, it appears that the part numbers for the intake tubes, housings, and MAF are the same from 2016 through the present. I'd guess it will work without issue.

Of course, I'd call corksport or k&n and ask before I bought anything.

I would like to know anyones opinion of the AEM intake once they installed it. I like the fact that it is true cold air intake with a sealed air box. I have a Cork Sport SRI Which does have some improvement but I don't like the fact that it does pull warm air and makes some noises from time to time since there is no air box. Both AEM and K&N use the tube that pulls from the outside. I am curious to know if anyone knows what the CFM rate is for the cold air tube is. Mazda has always used a flattened out intake tube somewhere in the system before the turbo.

I would also be interested if anyone could report on the performance with the AEM intake.

IMO, both versions won't offer a significant improvement over the CorkSport. The K&N version looks like it reuses the OEM "snorkel", but not in a meaningful way since the "box" has no top/lid, thus the intake draws ambient air in over the battery and from the lower bumper area. In essence, it would basically be doing the same thing that the CorkSport intake is doing. With the AEM, you have more of a "box" that also encloses the intake tube, using the OEM snorkel to draw air in from the area in front of the radiator, but the opening in the box near the headlight/lower bumper is quite large, so the majority of the air drawn in wouldn't be from the snorkel anyway.

I'd want to know if the extra materials are worth the $100 extra for the K&N or $136 for the AEM.

I am not sure how much gain would get when reusing the OEM cold air intake. The air path from the OEM air intake is very restricted, I don’t think any improvement “behind it” would account to much.

i am talking specificically at the air path in front of the snorkel. That area is all sealed off with the exception of the holes surrounding the latch in the center. unless I am missing something but this has puzzled me a bit for some time. I am surprised there is enough airflow to deliver the stock performance as it is.

Thanks for all your inputs!
I went ahead and ordered the Corksport. Like Sm1ke said- all of the boxes are open and taking in warmer air anyways. I was told by Zach @ Cork; “We do have a isolator for the intake coming out really soon!
I don't have an exact eta, but they are in production.” Production confirmed, hopefully its available before mid summer.

Have any of you guys done the Cork axle back exhaust? I think Chris may have. Was install as straight forward as it looks? A couple jack stands and wrenches can get it done without issue it seems. Anyone experience leaks or other issues?
Any other recommendations beside Cork? I don’t have the AWD model so the cat back isn’t possible (and maybe too loud). Anyone replace the downpipe or blowoff/by pass valve? Is this even possible on the Skyactive?
Thanks again for any input, u guys kick ass!

Have any of you guys done the Cork axle back exhaust? I think Chris may have. Was install as straight forward as it looks? A couple jack stands and wrenches can get it done without issue it seems. Anyone experience leaks or other issues?
Any other recommendations beside Cork? I don’t have the AWD model so the cat back isn’t possible (and maybe too loud). Anyone replace the downpipe or blowoff/by pass valve? Is this even possible on the Skyactive?
Thanks again for any input, u guys kick ass!

Besides the CorkSport exhaust, there are a couple of members who did custom exhaust work, which I believe amounted to removing the rear mufflers and replacing them with only exhaust tips. Any muffler shop could also cut off the OEM mufflers and weld on a pair of aftermarket mufflers from Magnaflow or the like. Aside from that, I'm not aware of any other options.

I did do the Cork Sport axle back and I think it is perfect. I bought the first one out of the gate that was the turbo back. The turbo did spool faster but it was as loud as my 08 speed3 with a 3" turbo back. I still have the the mid-pipe which is brand new. If anyone does the axle back and decides they want the mid-pipe let me know.

I did do the Cork Sport axle back and I think it is perfect. I bought the first one out of the gate that was the turbo back. The turbo did spool faster but it was as loud as my 08 speed3 with a 3" turbo back. I still have the the mid-pipe which is brand new. If anyone does the axle back and decides they want the mid-pipe let me know.

I have the axelback Corksport exhaust installed and was thinking to complete it with the midpipe section. Speed3chris1 what was the reason you didn't also install it?

When I got my cat back one of the exhaust hangers wasn't positioned in the right spot. Cork Sport shipped me a new system but I didn't put the mid-pipe back on because it was too loud for the CX-9 I liked the performance when the Cork Sport mid-pipe on because the turbo spooled faster but when you increase the diameter to 3" the sound increases and it doesn't make a difference if you add a second resonator or not. So bottom line is I have a new mid pipe collecting dust.

Hey Chris- do you know if the mid pipe only fits the AWD models? How much are you looking to get for it?

Just installed this on my 2019 GT this morning . Will report on my thoughts moving forward. Fitment is excellent. Very happy it did not throw any cels.
20200703_085118.jpg

Kind of disappointed with this thing. Not much more growl under wide open throttle. Alot of hissing noise even under normal driving though. Gas mileage has returned finally after ecu relearning. Looks nice under the hood.

Kind of disappointed with this thing. Not much more growl under wide open throttle. Alot of hissing noise even under normal driving though. Gas mileage has returned finally after ecu relearning. Looks nice under thre hood.

Yeah, I've had aftermarket air intakes on a 1991 Honda Accord (4cyl), a 1999 Honda Accord (V6), and now my CX-9. The suction sound on a 4cyl engine is almost always the same, very minimal improvement in the "sporty" sound of the engine. On a V6 engine it seems to make much more of a difference. I had an AEM v2 on my 99 Accord and it sounded pretty good at WOT.

Last edited:
Hi team, I own a 2017 - Mazda CX-9 (2.5L Turbo) and I'm interested in the AEM 21-861C Intake. I called AEM tech support and they said, 2017 CX-9 does not shows up in their compatibility test. Compared to K&N 69-6034TS and CorkSport SRI, AEM has a better box. Also CorkSport is also using the AEM dry filter. @SnowflakeS @sm1ke @ntdouglas could you please advise whether to go ahead with the AEM or CorkSport SRI? I do not like oiled filters and leaving K&N out of the equation. Appreciate your help.

@OzzyDroid - So glad you reminded me to circle back on this!
Injen_Red_CX-9.jpg

I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier with my CorkSport intake. Having put a few thousand on the odo and living through a hot & rainy summer, I can gladly say I am completely issue free. I went ahead and ordered this Injen cover for extra wet wheather insurance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
It fits perfectly and sort of "fires" up the engine bay. You could also turn the filter so as to hide the logo. HOWEVER, seeing @ntdouglas installed I think I would have paid the extra money for that box/finish/look. That intake is just beautifully cradled in that spot and it retains the stock air scoop?That's slick!! I would think it is also probably less noisy than the CorkSport. I think the Cork - especially with no shroud - just sucks. Sucks in both a Dyson Vac Power Vacuum! sense (good) and sucks as thin, hot air instead of cool, dense air (which 'sucks' comparatively). But EVERY TIME I give her a pull to 5-6k and then let off just pre-shift- I smile and giggle like a school gurl. "This MF'er has a B.O.V?!" I've had people at gas stations give compliments on the car and my neighbor's daughter (who is like 6 years old) LOVES "the kiss noise" when I give a blip of gas in the morning.

All that being said, what's AEM's return policy like? I would order it, try and install it (I'm not a betting man, but I'd put money you'd get that AEM intake to fit a 2017). If it doesn't fit (or it's not loud enough or whatever) you return it and go with Cork/K&N.

No comment on K&N as I have no experience or exposure to that intake.

@sm1ke - Any issues yet with the exhaust? Do you still like the sound (even on the highway)? Hangers or other parts etc? I'm about to pull the trigger...did you have any second thoughts about warranty etc... My wallet wants you to talk me out of it, but my heart and ears want that cold start, deep, throat clearing, higher idle growl. Is my brain correct on what I imagine the sound to be in person?

@SnowflakeS - Thanks for getting back mate. I just realised CorkSport has a heat shield. https://corksport.com/2018-mazda-6-turbo-2.5l-and-2016-cx-9-2018-cx-5-turbo-sri-heat-shield.html

Its not fully covered as the AEM intake. AEM will not accept the return since 2017 CX-9 is not listed in their compatibility list.

When you compare the prices in Australia, buying AEM one on Amazon is cheaper than the CorkSport version. Check this out;

AEM - Amazon Australia: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
CorkSport Australian re-seller - https://wolfracingproducts.com.au/checkout/cart/configure/id/24154/product_id/12074/

If AEM one fits my 2017 CX-9 without any issue / CELs, I can save few bucks :p

Back