CMU Unit Replaced to fix constant rebooting

:
2016.5 GT AWD
2016.5 CX-5. Started the car one day and the infotainment unit kept rebooting. The backup camera worked and the last radio station used prior to the fault would play. But no access to anything as it would continue rebooting. Took it to the dealer and they first tried to update the software, but couldn't do that due to the constant rebooting. They installed a known good CMU unit and that fixed the problem. So I had a new CMU unit installed. Works fine so that fixed the problem.

Posting this in case someone else has the same issue. Tried removing the nav chip and the 3 button reset, but no dice.

I wondered the same thing. Went to The Google.

CONNECTIVITY MASTER UNIT (CMU)

It's a box of electronics behind the screen.

2016.5 CX-5. Started the car one day and the infotainment unit kept rebooting. The backup camera worked and the last radio station used prior to the fault would play. But no access to anything as it would continue rebooting. Took it to the dealer and they first tried to update the software, but couldn't do that due to the constant rebooting. They installed a known good CMU unit and that fixed the problem. So I had a new CMU unit installed. Works fine so that fixed the problem.

Posting this in case someone else has the same issue. Tried removing the nav chip and the 3 button reset, but no dice.

Who paid for the new CMU?

Same thing happened to me this morning. I was pulling out of the gas station and was changing radio stations and the display became unresponsive but the radio still played. Then the screen went black for a few seconds and then the Mazda symbol appeared and I realized something's rebooting, all the time the radio was still playing. Preview of things to come I guess

Same thing happened to me this morning. I was pulling out of the gas station and was changing radio stations and the display became unresponsive but the radio still played. Then the screen went black for a few seconds and then the Mazda symbol appeared and I realized something's rebooting, all the time the radio was still playing. Preview of things to come I guess

The dealer said that a software update is the usual fix for infotainment issues. In my case it wasn't the software. But if you're still under warranty, and want to check that out, see if the dealer has a software update for your unit and have them install it.

Back