2017~2024 Clunky CX-5 OEM Cross Bars

Hi everybody I just come here to this forum after a lot of search on the web. Long story short: Bought OEM Cross Bars (apparently manufactured by Thule) for my Mazda CX-5 2020. According to the manual one of the ends of each cross bar must be loose not sure why. That was fine with me when there were no weights on them. But then I purchased the Tule Canyon XT and when it is loaded and on the highway or or when I pass a bump there is an annoying clunk come form the roof. I double check and everything was tightened. So the clunking comes from the loose end of the OEM cross Bars. Have any of you experienced/solved the same issue?

Thanks in advance for your help
image.jpg

The cross bar is loose? Or that which is attached to it (the carrier on the bars) are loose?

Is the rack level? It almost looks like the front is higher than the rear.

What is the manual referring to? (The loose ends?)

The cross bar is loose? Or that which is attached to it (the carrier on the bars) are loose?
The cross bar is properly attached to de rails, as well as the cargo basket to the crossbar, however the crossbar end slides into the part that is attached to the rail (see the image) and when this happens, the clunk begins

FE4D41E1-BD7B-4076-AE7C-30443BF0D1C1.jpeg

Is the rack level? It almost looks like the front is higher than the rear.

What is the manual referring to? (The loose ends?)
Yes the front it is little bit higher I supposed it is how it should be.

Below what the manual says about it. On number 2

9E0140D8-5AD1-42A8-890E-C10B6DFD4858.png

Yes, both sides tighten. Maybe the bolts are too long, hence the end of the bolt reaches it's limits before the head makes contact with the bracket. Maybe Home depot for a shorter bolt, or some washers to take up some space.

But it just hit me - ouch. When referring to "one end musty be loose", it must mean when initially assembling it. This would allow you to slide it to fit the width. But yes, then with an angled allen/torx/whatever, you would get under and tighten it. IIRC, I used the bit in a 1/4 socket in my socket wrench

Last edited:
Yes, both sides tighten. Maybe the bolts are too long, hence the end of the bolt reaches it's limits before the head makes contact with the bracket. Maybe Home depot for a shorter bolt, or some washers to take up some space.

But it just hit me - ouch. When referring to "one end musty be loose", it must mean when initially assembling it. This would allow you to slide it to fit the width. But yes, then with an angled allen/torx/whatever, you would get under and tighten it. IIRC, I used the bit in a 1/4 socket in my socket wrench
Thanks a lot for your help. It is as I supposed it should be. So I will disassemble the whole thing and correct that. For some reason the bolts are not tightening as they should be, I’ll figure it out… again man thanks

Hi everybody, it’s been a long time since this post. Well after Hal2 suggestion I tight as much as I could and obviously I did a mess… the bar thread were It was supposed to tight the bolts got damaged and the bolts tight no more (the hole was too big). After that, I thought my only option was to buy a new set of bars but, then I found this tool that repairs the thread, I decided to try it and it worked perfectly. It solved my problem leave you the image in case some day you need to repair a bolt thread. Thank you all for your help.

76559DC4-FEFB-4FB3-80CD-105DBADD3AD7.jpeg

Back