2017~2024 Clunk on sharp turns with brand new CX-5

Update on the 4th try from SF Mazda:

Instead of Region Tech an Experience tech/mechanic said he noticed that the orientation on the top strut is different (red circle is current) vs 3 other cx-5 (blue circles).

He verified the noise by placing hand on top and springs then lifting it up the hoist and heard it while driving then concluded it could be the “top mount” and “strut bearing” needs to replaced on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_5862.jpeg
    IMG_5862.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 95
I soaked my front stabilizer bushings with Fluid Film which is Lanolin basicly. No help. But at least mazda is staying on top of stuff like this. Nice to hear. On my list is to remove both sway bar end links and secure the sway bar out of the way and try to duplicate. Kinda sketchy TS technique but I am desperate

Update:
After the 4th service on the knock noise guess what..... the noise is still there, same one knock and its gone on both sides. Driving moderate speeds like you normally go (not too slow) on speed bumps, sharp turns, steep driveway or immediately over a hill you hear it.

I think I should just wait until there is another TSB or should I go in for 5th time?? 🤦‍♂️

edit
Here are the service notes:

Attachments

• 4th service.png
    4th service.png
    194 KB · Views: 81
  • 8:21:23 orientation changed but same noise still present .jpeg
    8:21:23 orientation changed but same noise still present .jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 8:21:23 orientation changed but same noise still present.jpeg
    8:21:23 orientation changed but same noise still present.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Man. Thats disappointing. I didnt want to say anything but the orientation of the strut bearing on most vehicles is irrelevant, but good excuse to go in there and replace them. So they replaced both upper strut bearings and rubber bushings.....no help. wow. I was hoping that those items, or a strut replacement was going to fix the creak on my cx9. Sub frame or even a defect in the unibody cant be takin off the table at this point. I would have them replace the struts next. They have acknowledged there is something that needs to be fixed so thats a good thing

The unibody flexing could be the problem. That definitely has crossed my mind.

Hi all, last week I took delivery of a new Touring AWD CX-5. I have 350 miles on it now and there is a clunking noise when I make sharp turns coming from the dash/glove box area on the right side. I thought maybe someone left something in the glove box or in the storage compartment of the door but they are all empty. Then I thought maybe it was the passenger seat belt hitting the B pillar but I don't think that is the cause either. Is there a known issue with CX-5 and clunking noise on sharp turns? Thanks for any help before I have to take it back to the dealer to look at.
I get that this reply is years late - and dont have time to read every post to see if my answer is there - ... I had the same issue and finally was told by a tech that Mazda has recognized it occurs and the fix is a x bar at the base of the windshield ..and its easily accessable and visible with the hood open - it has 2 bolts on each side and spans the length of the firewall just under the air vents - tighten down all 4 - 2-each side and it should be the " fix " ? hope it helps

I get that this reply is years late - and dont have time to read every post to see if my answer is there - ... I had the same issue and finally was told by a tech that Mazda has recognized it occurs and the fix is a x bar at the base of the windshield ..and its easily accessable and visible with the hood open - it has 2 bolts on each side and spans the length of the firewall just under the air vents - tighten down all 4 - 2-each side and it should be the " fix " ? hope it helps
You said you had the same issue. Did you try the "fix" ?

I understand what the tech was saying. On cornering ir body roll there is a twist or torsion applied to the chassis. I just dont understand the origin if the creak. I removed the "cowl plate" which doubles as a strut tower brace, no help. So the creak is not the cowl panel or its bolts at least in my situation. And if it was body torsion making the noise my creak would have increased with the cowl panal (stiffing member) removed

You said you had the same issue. Did you try the "fix" ?

I understand what the tech was saying. On cornering ir body roll there is a twist or torsion applied to the chassis. I just dont understand the origin if the creak. I removed the "cowl plate" which doubles as a strut tower brace, no help. So the creak is not the cowl panel or its bolts at least in my situation. And if it was body torsion making the noise my creak would have increased with the cowl panal (stiffing member) removed
I did get the fix - #1 i made the HUGE mistake of following the owners manual maintainence reccomendation at 15k miles and had the chassis nuts & bolts retorqued- which exaggerated the issue ...and it was not the cross brace - so i traded the SOB in for a 23 premium , since in my state if you trade in before i believe year 3 the tax on the new car is offset by the original tax on the trade- problem solved -

Did you figure out what your noise was? I have heard sub frame bolts (19mm and 17mm wrench), and sway bar end link nuts (14mm wrench) loose too. But for most people the cowl bolts is the culprit
Hmm sub frame bolts AND sway bar end link nuts? Whats the torque on these for a 21 GTR?

This video will help you with your old CX 5 and newer CX 5. And other CX Model. Must use alot of spraying silicon grease on the LCA assy bore (large bushing) and knock it with some mallet or hammer to make sure it doesnt sticks.

Am gonna try just spraying with 303 since I only have 9k mi Sunday.

Update noise from both left/right seemed fixed as I only drove it back 5 miles but sound is not there.

Both complete struts replaced. Checkout long receipt.

note on the receipt with part numbers for all front:
- they had initially checked ABS
- replaced control links, stabilizer plate, stabilizer bushings front, satabilizer bar front but noise still existed
- heat insulator boot, front coil spring, front dampers, spring seat lower rubber, strut bearing (again), mounting rubber, nuts, dust cover, bump stop.

- unrelated infotainment display black out when its hot but ofcourse summer was over so they can replicate lol

Hope anyone can find this info useful.

Attachments

• IMG_8933.jpeg
    IMG_8933.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8934.jpeg
    IMG_8934.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8935.jpeg
    IMG_8935.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8936.jpeg
    IMG_8936.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 36

Mine was the subframe. I will post the repair order later also. Been 2 months, I think it's fixed this time. Pretty happy!!!

Glee217, that's great they did that much work to get it fixed for you. Nice to have a dealer that's competent huh?

I ruled out the sway bar, sway bar bushings, and end links by removing both end links and securing the sway bar with about 8 zip ties out of the way. Then drove mine and noise still present. I also completely removed the cowl plate up top and same thing, drove and made the noise. I wish I knew exactly where my sub frame was hitting. My tech used the wireless ears to find the noise also. It's too bad Mazda isn't trying to document this stuff so the techs at the dealerships can access this information. There is a website, I think it's called all data where a dyi guy can search for stuff like this. I almost sold my car due to this problem.

Back