Clear Coat Peeling. So Pissed.

Paint is peeling on the plastic sections of the car. I'm pissed.

c1NB3f8.jpg

Kej0VpK.jpg

0ai2oLv.jpg

I believe your car is a 2016 right? How many miles? Stored indoors or outdoors? Has the car ever been waxed? Where do you live?

Have you talked to Mazda Corporate about the issue yet?

Definitely not normal wear n tear. Either something acidic landed on the panels or they were damaged and repainted.

Did you purchase the car new?

I believe your car is a 2016 right? How many miles? Stored indoors or outdoors? Has the car ever been waxed? Where do you live?

I dont think corporate is going to do anything, i bought this AS-IS.. from Carvana.... yes 2016 48k I live in SOCAL. stored outside. Before this the car was in Florida, I do wax the car every 6 months

Definitely not normal wear n tear. Either something acidic landed on the panels or they were damaged and repainted.

Did you purchase the car new?
I just got done washing my car and this popped up. i didnt use anything acidic just regular car soap and microfiber towel.

Just noticed this as well... No i did not hit anything eeek, something is wrong with the plastics on this car
V4qMugR.jpg

O3jW5rF.jpg

As @Silly Wabbit suggested, it could be damage from the previous owner(s) that was repainted. Generally body shops don't use the same clear coat that is applied in the factory - its a lot less durable, and possibly even thinner than the factory clear. This could also be the result of someone being too aggressive with a polisher/compound. Knowing that you're the second owner, I'm much less confident that Mazda Corporate would step up to help, but it never hurts to at least try.

There is a TSB available for the bumper crack, I believe it applies to 2016-2018 CX-9s. You should be able to get the bumper cover replaced at the dealer, but I'm not sure if you'll have to pay for it since it's just a TSB and not a recall.

As @Silly Wabbit suggested, it could be damage from the previous owner(s) that was repainted. Generally body shops don't use the same clear coat that is applied in the factory - its a lot less durable, and possibly even thinner than the factory clear. This could also be the result of someone being too aggressive with a polisher/compound. Knowing that you're the second owner, I'm much less confident that Mazda Corporate would step up to help, but it never hurts to at least try.

There is a TSB available for the bumper crack, I believe it applies to 2016-2018 CX-9s. You should be able to get the bumper cover replaced at the dealer, but I'm not sure if you'll have to pay for it since it's just a TSB and not a recall.
Thanks for the wealth of information as usual.

I have a 2010, in Florida. The clear coat on the plastic rear shade/spoiler over the rear liftgate glass started peeling just like yours 4-5 years ago. Perhaps Florida sun is too much for Mazda paint?

Perhaps you can get the body shop to cut you a deal when you get the front bumper replaced. Ask if they will respray the other piece at the same time they are painting the new bumper.

That definitely is NOT normal. I would see if Mazda can assist you with this. It can't hurt to try.

Just a note @Dmilli562, if you do end up contacting Mazda, unless they flat out ask you, let them believe that you are the original owner. It might help in getting them to goodwill the repairs.

Just a note @Dmilli562, if you do end up contacting Mazda, unless they flat out ask you, let them believe that you are the original owner. It might help in getting them to goodwill the repairs.
LOL mazda USA already has me in their database. The FIRST time I called them they already knew who i was based on my phone number... kinda crazy

LOL mazda USA already has me in their database. The FIRST time I called them they already knew who i was based on my phone number... kinda crazy

Caller ID maybe? Wonder how else they would know if you have never been to a Mazda dealership before..

If it has been repaired, does Carvana owe you any information on that even if you did buy it as-is? Search for vehicle history reports and see many choices in addition to Carfax.

If it has been repaired, don't be mad at Mazda. Check detail shops and body shops for any solution short of repainting.

If it has been repaired, does Carvana owe you any information on that even if you did buy it as-is? Search for vehicle history reports and see many choices in addition to Carfax.

If it has been repaired, don't be mad at Mazda. Check detail shops and body shops for any solution short of repainting.

Carfax is clean, Carvana doesn't sell cars in a car wreck, I'm a car guy and know what to look for as well.

I live in Slocala also. We had someone back into the passenger front door of our 2018 cx-5 at 1 year old. Take it to executive auto and see Rich, Tell him John K, sent you. If you have military or law enforcement back ground he gives 15% off labor. He uses a clear coat that has lifetime warranty. He does repairs, paint and body plus restores old cars. I am very fussy and hard to please and he did a fantastic job on our repair. He removes items before painting. So there are no sign of repaint. He goes out of his way to make sure your happy. Hope this helps you if you decide to get it taken care of.

Last edited:
Back