Chrome Delete?

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Just curious if any other members on here think there is far too much chrome on the cx-9? I have a 2018 CX-9 GT Deep Crystal Blue and I really hate how much chrome is on it lol. I just ordered everything I need to vinyl wrap some chrome pieces and just delete them, def will like the black on blue contrast much more since I already have my windows tinted with a 4" brow on the front too.

*dont worry I'll take pics when its done*

All the added chrome is seen as making it more premium looking. If you compare the CX-9 Sport with no added chrome trim to the GT/Signature, the latter look way more upscale (the bigger wheels play a role too). Lot of people don't like it but that's why automakers are chroming up cars. Personally, I prefer it with the chrome. Sometimes it depends on the car.

All the added chrome is seen as making it more premium looking. If you compare the CX-9 Sport with no added chrome trim to the GT/Signature, the latter look way more upscale (the bigger wheels play a role too). Lot of people don't like it but that's why automakers are chroming up cars. Personally, I prefer it with the chrome. Sometimes it depends on the car.

I definitely think it depends on the car. I'm ok with the amount of chrome on the CX-9 GT and Signature, but I can see myself changing it up if I get bored of the look. Maybe blacking out or color matching the chrome bar on the liftgate, maybe the horizontal bars on the front grille. I thought about blacking out the chrome grille surround, but scrapped that idea as the grille kind of "extends" into the headlights.

Ya I mean, I guess the "premium" feel and look of chrome for the GT and Signature and I think it looks great with the white or titanium but with crystal blue it is just too much lol.

Come to think of it, of all the 2016+ CX-9s that I've seen around here, none of them are blue. They're all white or grey.

I definitely think it depends on the car. I'm ok with the amount of chrome on the CX-9 GT and Signature, but I can see myself changing it up if I get bored of the look. Maybe blacking out or color matching the chrome bar on the liftgate, maybe the horizontal bars on the front grille. I thought about blacking out the chrome grille surround, but scrapped that idea as the grille kind of "extends" into the headlights.

That chrome cross bar on the back is IMO one of the highlights of the CX-9's design as well as the Mazda6. When you compare it to the CX-5 without it, it looks empty and too plain.

That chrome cross bar on the back is IMO one of the highlights of the CX-9's design as well as the Mazda6. When you compare it to the CX-5 without it, it looks empty and too plain.

I agree, but I wouldn't be removing it. Blacking it out would just make it less obvious. Depends on the look you're going for.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now that I see it, I'm not sure that I like it. That said, a gloss black vinyl would look a lot better than the matte plastic grey I shopped on the pic.

Attachments

• 1mazda-cx-9-2019-full-rear-view-531328.jpg
    1mazda-cx-9-2019-full-rear-view-531328.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,216
  • mazda-cx-9-2019-full-rear-view-531328.jpg
    mazda-cx-9-2019-full-rear-view-531328.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,865
Actually, forget my crude photoshop attempt and check this out.. Captain McFunk wrapped his wife's CX-9 GT in red, and also wrapped all of the chrome bits (except for the front grille surround, he colour-matched that) in gloss black. Looks better than I thought it would, but I'm still on the fence about blacking it out.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...y-Dennison-Carmine-Red-Vinyl-Progress-Journal

40626438920_6640d4d148_c.jpg

40626438680_a2358c15ae_c.jpg

Capt, if you see this, great job!

I'm with the chrome-loving camp, I think it looks very good specially on Soul Red.

Come to think of it, of all the 2016+ CX-9s that I've seen around here, none of them are blue. They're all white or grey.

Here in my area it is the opposite lol. Most of the ones I've seen are blue, black, and grey. I have seen all colors except White.

I see a lot of blue ones in my area. More than white.

I've always been surprised at the lack of silver 2nd gen CX-9's I see. Silver is always among the most popular car colors and CX-9 looks great in it but it seems they don't sell as many as other colors.

My 2018 GT came with the additional factory chrome ( plastic) under the front and rear bumpers and I think it's a nice addition. I fact now when I see one without it looks naked to me. I'm not a big chrome fan but on this car it works and adds to a premium look.

I like the chrome on my '19 GT. To my eye it's just enough to add some class but not too much.

A little off topic, but has anyone removed the chrome strip on the rear bumper? How difficult is it to remove? Is it just two sided tape or are there clips? And where do I purchase a new one?

The wifey somehow backed into the neighbor basketball hoop and cracked the chrome strip and scuffed the bumper. The scuff is not noticeable but the crack stick out. Don't ask me how she managed to hit the pole despite having a backup camera and proximity sensors, just glad it wasn't me.

Would love to hear an update from the OP as to whether he finished the chrome delete.
After getting a couple $800+ quotes to get it done professionally, I decided spend less than $90 for the tools and supplies and try it myself. The learning curve is steep to say the least. Unfortunately the CX-9 trim is very complex and not wrap friendly. One shop even said they wouldn’t do the windows because there was no where to get clean cuts and it wouldn’t look good.
After a few failed attempts I’m trying to decide whether to persevere or scrap the whole project.
These pictures were my motivation to try it...
80AEFAE4-289C-4432-BDD5-B1239A2701A7.jpeg

EE65059F-5F56-446E-99BF-19F32EAD668A.jpeg

53C82D0C-A2C3-4A7D-91CA-B70D76167F8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Update...I’ve decided to press on! Was able to get one side of the window trim done and while it’s not perfect, from even one step back it looks pretty good!

Definitely takes a little while to learn how the vinyl behaves but I’m starting to get a handle on it. I will post up some pics when I’m all done (which could be a couple weeks. Can only get small portions of time to work on it with a full time working wife and two kids under the age of 3):cautious:

Got on a roll last night and got everything done except the front. I’m super happy with the result so far. It’s definitely not perfect. Right up close you can see a few spots of blemishes, but from even just a step back it looks pretty good!
The pictures don’t really do it justice. The gloss black really pops in person. Now to take on the front grill!
75A00E69-F9CC-4CF2-8570-55347749B07F.jpeg

92878DD7-6690-4D48-BB5A-29D5608F824D.jpeg

Back