Chirping noise while driving 2008 cx9

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Does anyone have any idea why I get this chirping noise. I hear it inside the car while driving. It's on and off. What is it that i need to replace. At first I thought it was the blower motor but it happens even when it's off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you give more context? Under what conditions does the sound occur? Does it happen with the car is moving? Does it align with the engine revving? Does happen at idle? That kind of stuff...

It happens when I am driving the car on the street local traffic it comes and goes. I can hear the sound inside the car with the windows rolled up. On the highway the sound is not there. If I rev the engine from a standstill no sound. I also noticed that if I hit a bump the sound goes away for a moment.

I had the brake booster replaced almost a year ago, when that started to go it made a whistling noise when you would hit the brake pedal and sometimes you had to exert more force than normal. It only happens while driving. I tried revving the engine while at idle and no noise. I am wondering if its the wheel bearings. My passenger in the front says that it sounds like the chirping is at their feet, maybe that little bit of info might help. Also sorry for the late reply, hoping to get more help here. I also want to thank the two of you for your input.

^^^^ Check the brake pads, they make noise when they are worn.

The wheel bearings typically just start to get louder and louder, but it's more of a grinding noise that doesn't go away. It just gets louder and louder the longer you drive on it.

The only other thing I can think of is a CV joint.

This may be the sound I heard on my 2010 the entire time I had it. Really hard to explain the sound with words only. Kinda like a quick bu bu bu bong sound that I discovered happened almost every time I passed the 40 mph speed give or take. The dealership was never able to replicate or so they said. I’m thinking it maybe was something to do with the antilock brakes resetting. Just a hunch coming from a similar sound I had from an earlier G35 after backing up and pulling forward. In any case it never amounted to anything that I could tell. Car was pretty much trouble free in the 10 years and 130000 miles I had it.

I recently got a couple tires and an alignment on my 2008, and after I left the shop, I suddenly had a chirping sound. Took it back and they "couldn't hear it." Nor could they "notice anything strange" while driving it, apparently...
You'd think an alignment tech would be able to notice a bad strut, tie rod ends, & sway bar links, but I digress...

Turned out the sound was coming from my strut on the front right. Open up the hood and remove the covers to reveal the top of your strut. Take the cap out and spray some lithium grease (or if you've got some moly grease or wd-40 or whatever you've got) in around the top and between where the strut mounts to the car.

That stopped the chirping sound 100% for me. But the problem was a bad strut, so if this DOES solve your problem, consider replacing it.

Hope that made sense

Sorry for not updating. The strange thing is that I replaced both front brake calipers because one of them seized. The noise was still there for a while but now it disappeared. Don't know if replacing the brake calipers took care of it or if it might be something else. As for the struts I replaced them about a year ago with quick struts which are an entire unit.

Sorry for not updating. The strange thing is that I replaced both front brake calipers because one of them seized. The noise was still there for a while but now it disappeared. Don't know if replacing the brake calipers took care of it or if it might be something else. As for the struts I replaced them about a year ago with quick struts which are an entire unit.

Funny, I had a front caliper stick too! Got new oem calipers and scrubbed my brackets and painted the brackets to look like the new calipers. Love new brakes!

Good that it stopped, but I would think if it was the calipers that was the problem, it would have stopped it immediately. 🤔
Yeah I bought the strut/spring pre-assembled too. The one that was a problem was only about a month old. They replaced it under warranty and I haven't had an issue with the replacement yet, also don't have the chirping issue anymore.

Side note (incase your noise returns) It was intermittent for me when it was happening. Sometimes super loud, sometimes couldn't hear it at all.

Back