Check Your Spare Tire Pressure

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
TPMS sensors in the wheel are typically on the inside of the wheel but integral with the valve stem. ⋯ I recall the cost of the sensors (with built in batteries) was about $10 each.
TPMS sensor is much more expensive than $10. OEM TPMS sensor, part no. BHA4-37-140A, is $101.03 MSRP each. Most popular aftermarket sensor, Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) clamp-in TPMS programmable sensor is about $30 each. If you want new TPMS sensors during the tire change at Discount Tire Store, it’s about $60 each for BH SENS TPMS sensor.

107EBA1B-0123-4F00-85E7-A6143CD2E52C.jpeg

1E8B4DF7-DC2A-464C-B80D-C66B27E34489.jpeg

$10 usually is for a standard rubber valve stem, or a “rebuild kit” from Discount Tire which includes the rubber grommet, retaining nut, core and cap.

Finally there’re many different types of TPMS sensors. Make sure to get a TMPS sensor which is Mazda compatible, or pre-programmed to be Mazda compatible.

sugob

2021 CX-5 Signature (US)
Just hope the display is as colorful as Nissan’s.
View attachment 298136

Seeing the above ajar [top left] text from Nissan manual reminded me of another similarish lack-of-specificity on the CX-5 - it doesn't show which door is not properly closed when the red light comes on [again, presumably the system 'knows' which door(s) triggered the warning]

Where CX-5 does get it right, it clearly shows [with individual red/green icon] who hasn't got their seatbelt on [including the back middle]

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Seeing the above ajar [top left] text from Nissan manual reminded me of another similarish lack-of-specificity on the CX-5 - it doesn't show which door is not properly closed when the red light comes on [again, presumably the system 'knows' which door(s) triggered the warning]

Where CX-5 does get it right, it clearly shows [with individual red/green icon] who hasn't got their seatbelt on [including the back middle]
Sorry, the manual page is from 2020 Mazds CX-30. I have edited the post to make it more clear.

sugob

2021 CX-5 Signature (US)
Sorry, the manual page is from 2020 Mazds CX-30. I have edited the post to make it more clear.
Ok, thanks for updating
So does the warning icon on the CX-30 show which individual door(s) are open [I saw the 3 icons on the manual page and maybe jumped to a wrong conclusion that it did]?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
Just to clarify a few things....

TPMS sensors in the wheel are typically on the inside of the wheel but integral with the valve stem. They have non-replaceable lithium batteries which should last 5-10 years. For most, they should last between tire changes and tire shops will should always recommend they be replaced with new tires. I recall the cost of the sensors (with built in batteries) was about $10 each. There is a reset procedure to pair them with the car but tire shops should have all the equipment needed... you don’t shouldn't have to go to the dealer. Ham-fisted tire techs do occasionally break one when dismounting a tire (I.e., to fix a puncture) but shouldn’t if they have an up-to-date tire machine and proper technique. Go to one of the major chains like Discount Tire and you should be fine.

I’m also disappointed that there is no direct readout of tire pressure on my 2021, either on the dash or with the MyMazda app. It’s a chintzy omission.

- Mark

FIFY (fixed it for you)

$10 for the in-wheel sensor? You sure about that price?

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Ok, thanks for updating
So does the warning icon on the CX-30 show which individual door(s) are open [I saw the 3 icons on the manual page and maybe jumped to a wrong conclusion that it did]?
Not sure on CX-30. The manual listed 3 different icons for 2-door、4 door、and trunk / hatch / liftgate. On my 2016 CX-5 it can’t distinguish which door is agar like my 2000 BMW does, but it tells me the liftgate is ajar if I remember it correctly.

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
FIFY (fixed it for you)

$10 for the in-wheel sensor? You sure about that price?

That’s what I paid six years ago at Costco during a tire change (a Honda with wheel sensors), but I’m not totally sure what was done (the car is 16-yo and I’ve had zero issues with the sensors). But it appears the previous posters are correct.... $60 is more like it insofar as list price (although I see a lot of options for lower-cost OEM or aftermarket, down to $20 or so). I’m curious if anyone has any recent experience at Discount or Costco doing a four-wheel tire purchase with new sensors.

Makes me view wheel speed differential systems more favorably, especially if Mazda doesn’t give you the benefit of displaying actual tire pressures.

- Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts