Change Rear Brakes on 2016 CX-9 with electric emergency brake?

When you take off everything, look around for any leaks. It could be a recent leak that was just enough to lose pressure. Look at brake pad wear, that was the issue with my CX5. The piston side didn't release, and it show.

Clean up shoes and piston, grease anything possible.

And if you don't want to open the calipers. Try to get a bleed kit. To cycle the old fluids at brake. Careful.. Don't add air to it. Watch a few videos on it.

This might be enough forward to work again. Either way, it has to be the caliper or the motor. System is very simple.

I'm a few days I'm going to tear mine down again. I want to paint the caliper. I think it would reduce the dusk issue / rust dust.

When you take off everything, look around for any leaks. It could be a recent leak that was just enough to lose pressure. Look at brake pad wear, that was the issue with my CX5. The piston side didn't release, and it show.

Clean up shoes and piston, grease anything possible.

And if you don't want to open the calipers. Try to get a bleed kit. To cycle the old fluids at brake. Careful.. Don't add air to it. Watch a few videos on it.

This might be enough forward to work again. Either way, it has to be the caliper or the motor. System is very simple.

I'm a few days I'm going to tear mine down again. I want to paint the caliper. I think it would reduce the dusk issue / rust dust.
Indeed ..
I cant wait to go home and release the caliper s piston....will see if there is leaks (didnt see any just looking at it though without taking it off)
Ill let you know ...I cant believe that only a few people on this forum had that problem :((((

Maybe many just changed it before it goes bad during a check. Cx 5 was my wife car. I didn't check it enough. She turns on music and don't ever listen to the car. It was probably on metal the whole time before even heard it.

I heard cx 9 and larger vehicles the back break kick in before the front. This is to prevent the jerk motion. So that 0.5 sec the two rear is reducing the whole suv. Not evenly distributed

Sales number cx 9 might sale about 30k vehicles a year. Toyota highlander is 150-250...They got such a larger population for data. We just recently got enough data on engine coolant leaks...

I'm on the same boat as you I have a July 2016 model, FWD, currently at 105k. My two cx has calipers issue with Wagner OEX. Can't be 100% sure, but I decided to switch to another rear break. Oem got me 72k, Wagner got me 28k. Did you switch to non oem pads? I attach how bad my dust issue is. Wash car about 3 weeks ago. Less then 400 miles. It doesn't surprise me if dust mess my piston up.

During the rebuild, I did notice dust inside my calipers.

Attachments

• 20240204_134742.jpg
    20240204_134742.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 20
Maybe many just changed it before it goes bad during a check. Cx 5 was my wife car. I didn't check it enough. She turns on music and don't ever listen to the car. It was probably on metal the whole time before even heard it.

I heard cx 9 and larger vehicles the back break kick in before the front. This is to prevent the jerk motion. So that 0.5 sec the two rear is reducing the whole suv. Not evenly distributed

Sales number cx 9 might sale about 30k vehicles a year. Toyota highlander is 150-250...They got such a larger population for data. We just recently got enough data on engine coolant leaks...

I'm on the same boat as you I have a July 2016 model, FWD, currently at 105k. My two cx has calipers issue with Wagner OEX. Can't be 100% sure, but I decided to switch to another rear break. Oem got me 72k, Wagner got me 28k. Did you switch to non oem pads? I attach how bad my dust issue is. Wash car about 3 weeks ago. Less then 400 miles. It doesn't surprise me if dust mess my piston up.

During the rebuild, I did notice dust inside my calipers.
Ouch weird it should last 100 Kmiles..I really hate new technology ...parking brake was just fine before why redesigning the brake caliper to mount an actuator if it won't last a life time ;((((

Ok good news bad news...actuator is fine but brake caliper is dead ...when rotating the shaft in the rear of caliper nothing happen..the piston isnt released..look at the video attached...no matter which way I turn the caliper doesn't get loose a bit.... Not sure how to take it off the rotor without hitting it with piece of wood and hammer :(((( That is WELL stuck

Lots of dust indeed

Attachments

• 20240205_184814_1.mp4
    14.5 MB
Make sure you do this before you take the brake caliper off the pads - I tried after they were off and it ended up extending the caliper piston all the way out. (Maybe user error, but...)

The only way to get it to go back in was to disconnect it from the brake line and disassemble it (shooting compressed air in the fluid port to push the piston out, re-aligning it, and putting it back together). I didn’t trust my “re-built” caliper completely (even though it drove fine), so I bit the bullet and purchased a new one (only available from Mazda for ~$200).
Hello. Unfortunately, I just did a dumb thing and put the car in maintenance mode with one of the rear calipers off. I messed it up and the piston is fully extended. Is there a good way to get the piston compressed without having to disconnect the brake line?

I removed two hex head screws and took the EPB off of the caliber. I've tried turning the nut underneath both directions (it will move easily with a ratchet unless there is pressure on the piston from the caliber separator tool) while also compressing the caliper but it's not moving. It is possible the piston could have gotten slightly turned. How do I know the piston is correctly aligned?

Thank you very much for any assistance! -- Jeff

Last edited:
Hello. Unfortunately, I just did a dumb thing and put the car in maintenance mode with one of the rear calipers off. I messed it up and the piston is fully extended. Is there a good way to get the piston compressed without having to disconnect the brake line?

I removed two hex head screws and took the EPB off of the caliber. I've tried turning the nut underneath both directions (it will move easily with a ratchet unless there is pressure on the piston from the caliber separator tool) while also compressing the caliper but it's not moving. It is possible the piston could have gotten slightly turned. How do I know the piston is correctly aligned?
WOW! If piston is fully extended doesn't come back with the EPB lever or the ratchet turning clockwise ouch..
Got to ..pinch the brake line (without crushing it ) open the line under caliper and push the piston back (somwhow ;) ) in my case I had to put WD40 ALL OVER the brake pads/rotor/caliper and with a crowbar take the caliper out....
Bought a new one $250 from Mazda near my house...reinstalled it and bled that line only not the 3 others wheels ;)))))
Thank you very much for any assistance! -- Jeff.

Back