2013~2016 Center console won’t stay closed

:
2016 CX5 GT
On my 2016 CX5 the center console will not stay closed. It’s really unusual to see one of these fail open. I’ve seen most cars where this is not “springed ” and forced up/open. Usually car manufacturers follow gravity and this would stay shut, if anything quickly fall shut if there was a broken mechanism... so I find this design highly unusual.

I purchased the car 2 years ago, certified pre-owned with an extended warranty. I’m about ready for an oil change soon anyway so the dealer has already sent me an email and a voice mail asking when to schedule it. Do you think this center console armrest larch would be covered by my extended warranty? I know I did not add wheel protection, but I’m pretty sure the warranty covers more than just the engine. I’m only at 53,362 miles, so in my eyes the car is still “young” and spry. Is there a TSB for a stronger latch? Last thing I want to do is replace this simple piece every few years. I haven’t found a way to eliminate the springiness to force it to rest closed as a workaround.

These things will break easily if you just push it down to close. What you need to do is hold the latch in the open position before you lower it. Once it's in place release the latch so it will lock.

As far as extended warranty goes - ask them, I don't think it's considered normal wear like batteries and tires.

Use the search function on this site, I remember a few years ago a couple posts on the subject. Don't think there was a TSB but there was instructions on how to replace the latch.

Mine isn't broken but it has a tendency to stay open unless I deliberately close it and secure the latch.

It seems like the seat cushion makes it hard to close so I leave it open a lot.

On my 2016 CX5 the center console will not stay closed. It’s really unusual to see one of these fail open. I’ve seen most cars where this is not “springed ” and forced up/open. Usually car manufacturers follow gravity and this would stay shut, if anything quickly fall shut if there was a broken mechanism... so I find this design highly unusual.

I purchased the car 2 years ago, certified pre-owned with an extended warranty. I’m about ready for an oil change soon anyway so the dealer has already sent me an email and a voice mail asking when to schedule it. Do you think this center console armrest larch would be covered by my extended warranty? I know I did not add wheel protection, but I’m pretty sure the warranty covers more than just the engine. I’m only at 53,362 miles, so in my eyes the car is still “young” and spry. Is there a TSB for a stronger latch? Last thing I want to do is replace this simple piece every few years. I haven’t found a way to eliminate the springiness to force it to rest closed as a workaround.
Mazda’s CPO warranty gives you an extra 12-month/12,000-mile new car warranty which is good to cover everything which fails. But most 2016 CX-5‘s were sold in 2015, and 2016.5 CX-5’s were sold after 2/2016. So your bumper-to-bumper warranty should have ended some time in 2019, which means your broken latch won’t be covered. TSB means nothing unless you have a warranty to cover he replacement. But the part itself is not expensive, and you can replace it by yourself easily. Just don’t slam the center console arm rest shut, treat it gently after you get the latch replaced.

Of course it won’t hurt to ask your Mazda dealer about possible free replacement the next time you visit them.

Mazda’s CPO warranty gives you an extra 12-month/12,000-mile new car warranty which is good to cover everything which fails. But most 2016 CX-5‘s were sold in 2015, and 2016.5 CX-5’s were sold after 2/2016. So your bumper-to-bumper warranty should have ended some time in 2019, which means your broken latch won’t be covered. TSB means nothing unless you have a warranty to cover he replacement. But the part itself is not expensive, and you can replace it by yourself easily. Just don’t slam the center console arm rest shut, treat it gently after you get the latch replaced.

Of course it won’t hurt to ask your Mazda dealer about possible free replacement the next time you visit them.

I have an oil change / tire rotation appt scheduled for August 1st and mentioned it and if it’s covered by the extended warranty that I paid extra for, to fix it. If it’s not covered let it go. I found it cheap online and a YouTube video so obviously I can do it for the cost of the part ( < $15 ) vs $75 or so they would probably charge me. However If the additional warranty covers it, well great.

I’ve been down the reliability rabbit hole with German cars, I opted to pay for additional warranty this time around.

For things like that I usually drop a cat on it from about 3 feet up. Same as the way I close my good.

They said it’s not covered under warranty. They said it would be $78 to fix. I said no thanks.

There is a belt tensioner leaking oil or something. They are going to do that and had to order the part. They gave me a 2020 CX-5 for a few days until that part comes in and they install it. Apparently that’s not covered either, but I’ll make a different post about it.

They said it’s not covered under warranty. They said it would be $78 to fix. I said no thanks.

There is a belt tensioner leaking oil or something. They are going to do that and had to order the part. They gave me a 2020 CX-5for a few days until that part comes in and they install it. Apparently that’s not covered either, but I’ll make a different post about it.
Another case of belt tensioner leaking ⋯ 👎

My 2014 center console will stay open unless I close it. That is normal for every car I've owned. Sort of like opening a closet door when you want to find something. People often just bang it closed without using any care and break the latch. Get a long rubber band or equivalent and loop it.

Back