Catastrophic CX-5 Crash - Driver Walks Away

I've watched his channel before. He has some interesting first person view recovery work.

Good to see all that energy being dissipated throwing parts around so occupants have a better outcome.

Thanks for sharing :)

Woman drives into a parked construction vehicle on the interstate at ~70 MPH.
Entire engine ripped completely out of vehicle.
Woman walks away with no injuries.

Skip to the 7:50 mark of the video.
Car-Splosion
That was really amazing - and super interesting! I've never seen anything like that before, thanks for sharing.

Wow! Clearly the CX-5 sacrificed itself to save the driver (well it's designed to and DID)...Unbelievable, never saw half a wheel!

Thanks for the share, wasn't aware of this channel and who doesn't love heavy duty machinery. (y)

A few years back when we had our 2014 CX5 a girl made a left turn in front of us while we were doing 45 mph. The engine was pushed into the firewall and the "frame" was bent. However, I walked away with only a cut on my arm from the air bag and my wife had a hernia from the seatbelt. Other than that we were fine.
After the crash I went out and bought a 2016 CX5GT. Why? Because the car really did it's job protecting us. Today, our 2016 has provided us 122K miles of trouble free driving. We also have a 2019 Mazda 3 my son drives.

I assume that they secured all the loose debris that was just thrown on the flat bed off camera?

This is a positive outcome just the same. Always glad to see someone live through this, even more so that they walked away. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
@CAB1 , not all CX 5 were equipped with those safety systems. I didn't notice anything in the video that I could tell either way if it was or was not.

If someone is bored, they could use information from the video ( approximate date, location) to look up public state crash report information and probably find out the particulars of the crash.

Could turn it into a M247 investigative contest ... Whomever finds the crash report first and posts a clicky gets a hands clappy emoticon :)

Last edited:
As he pulls the engine off the road onto his truck, the oil filter can be seen and looks fine! Crazy crash. Happy to hear driver survived!

A few years back when we had our 2014 CX5 a girl made a left turn in front of us while we were doing 45 mph. The engine was pushed into the firewall and the "frame" was bent. However, I walked away with only a cut on my arm from the air bag and my wife had a hernia from the seatbelt. Other than that we were fine.
After the crash I went out and bought a 2016 CX5GT. Why? Because the car really did it's job protecting us. Today, our 2016 has provided us 122K miles of trouble free driving. We also have a 2019 Mazda 3 my son drives.
My 2019 GTR was rear-ended & totaled 4 months in (same color as the CX-5 in the video). My son & I walked away with bumps & bruises. I replaced it with it's clone for the same reasons mentioned. My son joked that my first GTR could be buffed right out. I sent him the link to that video & he said "That's not going to buff out". My son also drives a Mazda 3 which prior to our CX-5 incident was broadsided & totaled. He also replaced his with it's clone.

My 2019 GTR was rear-ended & totaled 4 months in (same color as the CX-5 in the video). My son & I walked away with bumps & bruises. I replaced it with it's clone for the same reasons mentioned. My son joked that my first GTR could be buffed right out. I sent him the link to that video & he said "That's not going to buff out". My son also drives a Mazda 3 which prior to our CX-5 incident was broadsided & totaled. He also replaced his with it's clone.
I know Mazda really likes repeat customers, but have you ever considered just selling your vehicles instead of what you do to them? Just asking? :cool:

Back